Learned something new about PSUs and GPUs today

CrippledROBOT
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
10 minutes ago, Steemax said:

I think it has to do with a quality PSU with good components, it's a hit or miss. Coil whine isn't that big of a deal anyway unless it's just the audible annoyance bugging you. I would ride it out if you're not bothered by the actual noise.

OP has a quality unit.

It's not a matter of quality.  It's a matter of windings in magnetics or even layers in poly caps vibrating at different frequencies.  Typically, these frequencies are outside of human hearing, but at certain loads they can be audible.

After noticing a fairly significant amount of coil whine from my Seasonic SSR650-PX unit, I contacted Seasonic. After my rather helpful support agent took my issue to his associates they come up with this answer: 

"After discussing with my associates regarding the coil whine in your PSU, and basing off the information you have provided me; we came to the conclusion that it is highly probable that the coil whine is caused by the GPU and PSU’s electrical resonance on the coils.   When you are gaming under heavy load, the coil whine is noticeable even though you are sitting a considerable distance away from the PC, however when the PC is idle, it is not exhibiting any type of coil whine and is nearly silent."

Does anyone else have coil whine on their GPU or PSU? I'd say that half of all of my PCs that I've ever built have had some form of coil whine and therefore never quite "silent builds".

UPDATE: In an effort to stomp out coil whine on my now one month old PC, I have ordered a second PSU unit and am playing with multiple settings in the BIOS and with the GPU and getting interesting results. Here is my full build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/YjWD4D. All parts are new as well. 

I have ever only had GPU coil whine in 1 situation in my entire life, it was with a Zalman 700w GLX 80 Plus PSU feeding an EVGA Superclocked GTX TITAN X when I started The Witcher 3, the intro and first menu had coil whine.... not in-gaming though... current build makes Zero coil whine.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I have ever only had GPU coil whine in 1 situation in my entire life, it was with a Zalman 700w GLX 80 Plus PSU feeding an EVGA Superclocked GTX TITAN X when I started The Witcher 3, the intro and first menu had coil whine.... not in-gaming though... current build makes Zero coil whine.

So it may be an issue with my PSU then? What do you think about that support tech's answer?

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

So it may be an issue with my PSU then? What do you think about that support tech's answer?

It usually is the combination of a specific PSU with a specific GPU at a specific workload... pin point coil whine is no easy feat at all.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It usually is the combination of a specific PSU with a specific GPU at a specific workload... pin point coil whine is no easy feat at all.

In effect, working to eliminate coil whine in my situation is basically a fruitless endeavor, so long as I am using the same hardware?

Tonight I am going to put my other SSR650-PX in my system and see if that helps. Do you think that would have any benefit?

2 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

?

It could help... what video card do you have exactly?

Personal Desktop":

My 1070 FTW only had coil whine in menu's in game but that went away after I switched PSU's from the TT Smartpower 750 to the Corsair TX850M 2017 version. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

1 minute ago, Steemax said:

My 1070 FTW only had coil whine in menu's in game but that went away after I switched PSU's from the TT Smartpower 750 to the Corsair TX850M 2017 version. 

Do you think that switching to a different (though same model) PSU would help?

Well Pascal has voltages locked so trying to undervolt it which sometimes fixes the coil whine doesn't work... if the GPU coil whining continues after replacing power supplies you could always use your warranty... EVGA is one of the few companies that accept to RMA due to noticeable whining.

Personal Desktop":

i had a similar issue and i got a new PSU that was the same and for me it did not go away.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well Pascal has voltages locked so trying to undervolt it which sometimes fixes the coil whine doesn't work... if the GPU coil whining continues after replacing power supplies you could always use your warranty... EVGA is one of the few companies that accept to RMA due to noticeable whining.

I may consider that. Though my experience with EVGA has been nothing but spectacular, dealing with RMAs is the worst. I'm going to swap the PSU and pray that that works. My understanding of coil whine is that it IS NOT a deficiency in the PSU/imminent failure, but is simply a resonance issue.

3 minutes ago, showerhandle said:

i had a similar issue and i got a new PSU that was the same and for me it did not go away.

That is slightly disappointing. So are you just "ridding it out"/accepting the sound? Or are you considering an RMA of the GPU?

That is slightly disappointing. So are you just "ridding it out"/accepting the sound? Or are you considering an RMA of the GPU?

Ya i am just riding it out. I used a nicer power supply for awhile and that helped it but i ended up selling it cause it was worth alot.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

27 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I think it has to do with a quality PSU with good components, it's a hit or miss. Coil whine isn't that big of a deal anyway unless it's just the audible annoyance bugging you. I would ride it out if you're not bothered by the actual noise.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

10 minutes ago, Steemax said:

OP has a quality unit.

It's not a matter of quality.  It's a matter of windings in magnetics or even layers in poly caps vibrating at different frequencies.  Typically, these frequencies are outside of human hearing, but at certain loads they can be audible.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

OP has a quality unit.

You learn something new every day. So no matter the PSU they will all do it depending on different frequencies and whether or not our ears can hear these specific frequencies.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

It's a crap shoot.

54 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

OP has a quality unit.

So its 100% normal and not worth the hassle of trying to eliminate it? As a side note, the sound gets drowned out when the fans ramp up to when the system reaches the set temperature (GPU, CPU, and PSU fans). I'm going to try swapping my unit with my backup one anyway and see if that has any sort of improvement, if not, oh well, and I got a little unlucky! 

Thank you team!

Manufacturers "try" to eliminate some of the noise by using a lot of the caulk material.  But that caulk is very expensive as it's non-electrically conductive, non-corrosive, while being thermally conductive (technically, it's epoxy.  But is often called caulk or sometimes just "glue").

And it's impossible to cover every potential spot inside the PSU in a production line environment.  Like I said, it's a crap shoot.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:19 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Manufacturers "try" to eliminate some of the noise by using a lot of the caulk material.  But that caulk is very expensive as it's non-electrically conductive, non-corrosive, while being thermally conductive (technically, it's epoxy.  But is often called caulk or sometimes just "glue").

And it's impossible to cover every potential spot inside the PSU in a production line environment.  Like I said, it's a crap shoot.

Just swapped my power supplies today. I put my system under load and BOOM! No PSU coil whine! The only whine that I get is a very minor GPU whine at maximum load in certain games. I am a very happy nerd today.