A little confusion...

Chaos Network

I am slightly knowledgable about computers, but networking is where I feel at home, for the most part, so this is kinda foreign to me. I have a desktop PC, originally I had a 120gb 5400rpm HDD in it, a friend cloned all of that to a 1tb WD Blue 7200 rpm HDD, and got rid of the old one. Now I got a 480gb ssd, and I would like to use this as my boot drive and store most of my stuff on it, because as is, I have like 745gb free on the HDD, so I should have enough room and some on the SSD, but my friends are telling me im better off just reinstalling windows on it, then trying to clone to it. Any tips/ideas?

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

Cloning it would move the Windows install anyway, unless you can clone only a part of it. 

I'm personally not a fan of cloning the OS as I've experienced so many issues with doing so across different drives. If possible, I'd choose to do a fresh Windows install on the SSD and then either move the data you want across or do a partial clone of the HDD. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Cloning it would move the Windows install anyway, unless you can clone only a part of it. 

I'm personally not a fan of cloning the OS as I've experienced so many issues with doing so across different drives. If possible, I'd choose to do a fresh Windows install on the SSD and then either move the data you want across or do a partial clone of the HDD. 

I am running windows 7, and I just plan to use the SSD for boot drive, os, and a select few programs, and a few games on my steam library, I want to keep everything else on the HDD, WITHOUT reinstalling windows

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

Just now, Chaos Network said:

I am running windows 7, and I just plan to use the SSD for boot drive, os, and a select few programs, and a few games on my steam library, I want to keep everything else on the HDD, WITHOUT reinstalling windows

Probably the easiest way to do that is:

> Clone entire HDD to the SSD

> Boot from the SSD

> Wipe the HDD

> Move over everything you want to be on the HDD

IMO that's better than just trying to clone over the OS and keep the rest on the HDD.

13 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

I am slightly knowledgable about computers, but networking is where I feel at home, for the most part, so this is kinda foreign to me. I have a desktop PC, originally I had a 120gb 5400rpm HDD in it, a friend cloned all of that to a 1tb WD Blue 7200 rpm HDD, and got rid of the old one. Now I got a 480gb ssd, and I would like to use this as my boot drive and store most of my stuff on it, because as is, I have like 745gb free on the HDD, so I should have enough room and some on the SSD, but my friends are telling me im better off just reinstalling windows on it, then trying to clone to it. Any tips/ideas?

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Probably the easiest way to do that is:

> Clone entire HDD to the SSD

> Boot from the SSD

> Wipe the HDD

> Move over everything you want to be on the HDD

IMO that's better than just trying to clone over the OS and keep the rest on the HDD.

^ is mostly correct the only issue here would be that when you go to boot the both disk will be seen as a boot disk and then you should see a window asking you which disk do you want to boot from. Now you could just unplug the HDD after the clone and when you go to do a restart after the clone, do a shut down and then unplug the HDD from the MOBO then put the SSD in that SATA slot then boot, make sure all is well then shut down again and connect the HDD into a free SATA slot and boot, if asked to choose a boot disk choose the SSD of course and then you can format the HDD when you have fully booted in disk management.

Now i would advise you clean your HDD of all junk data before you do the clone.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

^ is mostly correct the only issue here would be that when you go to boot the both disk will be seen as a boot disk and then you should see a window asking you which disk do you want to boot from. Now you could just unplug the HDD after the clone and when you go to do a restart after the clone, do a shut down and then unplug the HDD from the MOBO then put the SSD in that SATA slot then boot, make sure all is well then shut down again and connect the HDD into a free SATA slot and boot, if asked to choose a boot disk choose the SSD of course and then you can format the HDD when you have fully booted in disk management.

Now i would advise you clean your HDD of all junk data before you do the clone.

You could go into the BIOS and remove the HDD from the boot order, that way it should just boot from the SSD. It will only need to be done once anyway, once the HDD is wiped it should be easy sailing. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You could go into the BIOS and remove the HDD from the boot order, that way it should just boot from the SSD. It will only need to be done once anyway, once the HDD is wiped it should be easy sailing. 

Yeah this is correct.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

just curious, what manufaturer and brand is your 1080

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

11 hours ago, Cyracus said:

just curious, what manufaturer and brand is your 1080

Me? I dont have a 1080

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

1 hour ago, Chaos Network said:

Me? I dont have a 1080

sorry, must've crossed threads...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W