1440p, how much better?

PeterD1001

I’m looking to buy a monitor soon for gaming. 

27”, G-Sync and 144/165hz but I’m not sure whether to go for 1080p or 1440p. The pc I’m planning to build should be able to handle high frame rates at 1440. 

I know many people say that 24” is the sweet spot for 1080p but I definitely want a 27”. I’ll be sitting a regular desk width away from the screen. 

The question is how much better and detailed does 1440p look over 1080p? 

I’ve just got into pc gaming in the last couple of months having bought a 15.6” laptop. My friend has a 27” monitor and plays at 1080p which looks great to me compared to my laptop. 

Is 1440 a major improvement? Looking at the Acer Predator 27” with G-Sync for example the 1080 goes for around £350 and the 1440 version around £560 at the moment, quite a big difference. 

I definitely don’t want to go the 4k route and be limited to 60 fps. Plus for the size of screen, 27” I don’t think my eyes would appreciate the extra resolution. 

I only play first person shooters really, we’ll only PUBG at the moment anyway

6 minutes ago, PeterD1001 said:

I definitely don’t want to go the 4k route and be limited to 60 fps. Plus for the size of screen, 27” I don’t think my eyes would appreciate the extra resolution. 

I only play first person shooters really, we’ll only PUBG at the moment anyway

I agree there.  I like high frame rates, my eyes respond better to higher framerates than they do to resolution.  I like 1440p because it's easy-ish enough to drive at semi high framerates and looks better than 1080p. 

On topic: if you go above 24" I would recommend 1440p or higher as at normal distances it can look pretty poor.  (For reference I run a 3440x1440 at 100Hz).

4 minutes ago, Ganz said:

I agree there.  I like high frame rates, my eyes respond better to higher framerates than they do to resolution.  I like 1440p because it's easy-ish enough to drive at semi high framerates and looks better than 1080p. 

On topic: if you go above 24" I would recommend 1440p or higher as at normal distances it can look pretty poor.  (For reference I run a 3440x1440 at 100Hz).

I think I’ll go back and look and my friends setup again a bit more closely before deciding. 

He has a 27” budget 1080p monitor and it looked great to me playing BF1, but then again my eyes aren’t the best lol. 

I should imagine his text when web browsing etc must look quite blocky. 

Unfortunately I can’t find a shop where I can go and see a 1440p monitor in action to compare it with.