PSU DEAD? Computer shut down.

jamesnightingale

Hey guys I have a XFXPRO 650w PSU that is around 3 years old now. Whenever I turn on the computer the fans on the psu do spin and other components but it turns on for 3 seconds then turns off for 5 seconds and repeats so keeps turning on and powering off. Any ideas other than the PSU is dead. I ordered a new PSU without trying anything to troubleshoot the problem any thing I could do manually to try fix the issue.

Thanks.  

Update #1

I unplugged the battery of the motherboard and put it back in. But now the pc starts for a bit longer long enough for the cpu fan to start spinning all the fans to come on for about 10 seconds then dies and the lights come on now. Just from unplugging the battery and putting it back in.

Computer turning on and off could sue to so many different reasons, not only a faulty PSU.

Had you tried resetting the CMOS? Try to use a different power socket? Swapping power extension?(Or not to use one)

That will be a few little things I try coming across a problem like yours.

25 minutes ago, Type 2501 said:

Computer turning on and off could sue to so many different reasons, not only a faulty PSU.

Had you tried resetting the CMOS? Try to use a different power socket? Swapping power extension?(Or not to use one)

That will be a few little things I try coming across a problem like yours.

Hey I unplugged the battery of the motherboard and put it back in. But now the pc starts for a bit longer long enough for the cpu fan to start spinning all the fans to come on for about 10 seconds then dies and the lights come on now. Just from unplugging the battery and putting it back in.

Sorry be for being away so long.

A correct way to reset CMOS is not only removing the bettery. You will have to use a jumper on your mb to actually reset it.

I am not sure the official way to do it, but this is what I do (and it works well for me so far).

1, unplug the power cord from the PSU.

2, push the power button a few times .

3, move the jumper to the reset position

4, remove the mb battery

5, wait for 30s, make yourself a tea

6, reconnect the power cord, push the power button

7, the fan should spin a bit, than go off again

8, unplug power cord, push power button a few times

9, put the jumper to its original position, put the mb battery back,

10, replug the power cord, done

Hope it helps

Try unplugging the computer from power (but keep the switch on the power supply in the "1" position.) Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds or so. switch the power supply off and back on, plug the system back in, and try booting. This should clear any errors in the CMOS by totally resetting it. That means that if your computer does finally POST you may see some weird screen that doesn't look normal. Windows may even boot into an incorrect resolution or GPU setting. Don't freak out. It'll clear settings but you should't lose any data. It doesn't sound like the PSU died; if it did the fans would not spin at all (typically. Anything is possible I guess) but it sounds more like an issue with the motherboard like a short or an error in the CMOS. Good luck