NZXT Aer RGB

Hyttelus

I'm planning out some upgrades for my PC and one of them is to install 2 NZXT Aer RGB fans. One top and one rear. 

I'm hoping that I can hook them up to one 4 pin header on my motherboard using a splitter, but I want to make sure that it dosen't fry my motherboard fan header.

I've looked EVERYWHERE but i simply cannot find the amount of amps each fan draw.

Can anybody answer my question?

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Hyttelus said:

I'm planning out some upgrades for my PC and one of them is to install 2 NZXT Aer RGB fans. One top and one rear. 

I'm hoping that I can hook them up to one 4 pin header on my motherboard using a splitter, but I want to make sure that it dosen't fry my motherboard fan header.

I've looked EVERYWHERE but i simply cannot find the amount of amps each fan draw.

Thank you.

The NZXT AER fans can not hook up to your motherboard's RGB system they require the use of the NZXT Hue+ unit for it to function. 

Just now, W-L said:

The NZXT AER fans can not hook up to your motherboard's RGB system they require the use of the NZXT Hue+ unit for it to function. 

I'm aware of that, but they do not receive power from the Hue+, that only control the lighting. They still need power from either the motherboard or power supply.

For the power consumption of the fans themselves i they don't say a general rule of thumb is no more than 2-3 per fan header. As they re 4 pin PWM you can get powered splitters if you like so the fans only take a control signal from the motherboard for speed control. 

19 minutes ago, Hyttelus said:

Thank you.

Corsair LL120 is better. The Aer's RGB is trash anyway.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:49 PM, CyberFern0 said:

Corsair LL120 is better. The Aer's RGB is trash anyway.

They both have terrible airflow. The Aer is better but not by much. The LL have much shorter fan blades and they make the performance far worse. 

Corsair:

Airflow                       43.25 CFM
Static Pressure         1.61 mmH20

NZXT:

Airflow                       17.48 – 52.44 CFM

Static Pressure        0.15 – 1.35mm-H2O

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

• 3 years later...
On 11/24/2017 at 6:29 PM, Hyttelus said:

Thank you.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but since it isn't easy to find this info online I thought I'd add the answer in case anyone else looks comes across this question. Keep in mind the power consumption is effectively the same for 120mm and 140mm fans. They use the same motor. And for those of you who are always skeptical, the numbers below are taken from the 140mm specs. So rest assured the 120 is no higher.

NZXT fan max power draw (same for both 120mm & 140mm):

Aer RGB 2 / Aer P

Current — 0.2 / 0.19A

Power — 2.4W / 2.28W

Voltage — 12VDC (volt direct current)

And as a bonus bit of knowledge for those who don't know: P (power) = V (voltage) x I (current). 

It should also be noted that motors very briefly draw current beyond their stated rating when starting up. It's called the inrush current. As a rule of thumb, don't load a single fan header to its max current capacity. So, though an average 1A fan header can technically feed 5 Aer RGB 2 fans, I would put no more than 4, but safest 3. When all those fans start up at the same time, that's potentially a lot of inrush amperage beyond what the header can deliver. Having said that, the current rating on these fans might be taking inrush current into account. Motor spec sheets usually give you steady state current and inrush current. Or mobo specs account for it. 🤷🏽‍♂️ But I wouldn't risk it.

Hope it helps.