4K or 1440p High End Monitor Suggestions?

Revan654

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some higher end 4K or 1440p monitors, They do not need to be HDR or G-Sync enabled. They just need to be flicker Free, and easy on the eyes. My current monitor is giving me some eye strain issues.

I will be mainly using the monitors for Video editing, It's very unlikely I will be gaming on the monitor.

So far these are the only two that have caught my eye.

Dell UltraSharp 27 4K HDR Monitor: UP2718Q
Link: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-hdr-monitor-up2718q/apd/210-amvp/monitors-monitor-accessories

32” Class QHD Gaming Monitor with G-SYNC
Link: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850G-B-gaming-monitor

Anyone have any opinions about these two monitors?

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

monitors with quantum dot might help you because the light coming from them is more like the sun (high range of frequencies, uniform) and less like normal leds with have 1 huge spike of blue light, higher frequency on the monitor will also help

led-light-wavelength.jpg&f=1

Might also want to look at Benq. This is 10bit, HDR, and UHD. I don't know how bad the Dell is, I imagine it is pretty solid, however the Benq monitors are also built to have minimal flicker on the backlight. There's a 31.5" version of it too which looking at the Dell, would still be in your price range.

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-SW271-Photographer-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B076CTL3BD

3 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Might also want to look at Benq. This is 10bit, HDR, and UHD. I don't know how bad the Dell is, I imagine it is pretty solid, however the Benq monitors are also built to have minimal flicker on the backlight. There's a 31.5" version of it too which looking at the Dell, would still be in your price range.

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-SW271-Photographer-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B076CTL3BD

The issue with BenQ is there HDR is fake HDR. There a bunch of comments about it across the web about it. I know places like tftcentral love the dell monitor.

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

monitors with quantum dot might help you because the light coming from them is more like the sun (high range of frequencies, uniform) and less like normal leds with have 1 huge spike of blue light, higher frequency on the monitor will also help

led-light-wavelength.jpg&f=1

Not sure what wavelength Dell monitor uses. I was planning on get Asus monitor until they delayed it until next year.

2 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

The issue with BenQ is there HDR is fake HDR. There a bunch of comments about it across the web about it. I know places like tftcentral love the dell monitor.

Well the Dell you're looking at is not capable of "true" HDR either because it doesn't have high enough max brightness. It caps out at 450nits and true HDR required at least 1000nits.

14 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Not sure what wavelength Dell monitor uses. I was planning on get Asus monitor until they delayed it until next year.

unless they say quantum dot or similar, you can be certain that its just regular leds, 

15 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Well the Dell you're looking at is not capable of "true" HDR either because it doesn't have high enough max brightness. It caps out at 450nits and true HDR required at least 1000nits.

HDR was mainly an afterthought I was mainly interested in some other feature it has.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

unless they say quantum dot or similar, you can be certain that its just regular leds, 

So far I've only seen Samsung have Quantumdot, those monitors have not be well received in reviews.

Just now, Revan654 said:

HDR was mainly an afterthought I was mainly interested in some other feature it has.

Well then I can still recommend the Benq monitors. There's the series that I linked as well as the BL2711U. Both are 10 bit UHD and are really nice build quality. 

5 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Well then I can still recommend the Benq monitors. There's the series that I linked as well as the BL2711U. Both are 10 bit UHD and are really nice build quality. 

Some comments about that monitor has stopped me, Plus Dell has eye protection in there monitor which is a plus for me.

5 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Some comments about that monitor has stopped me, Plus Dell has eye protection in there monitor which is a plus for me.

I can't find anything on what that tech is actually called. With Benq they have flicker free and a low blue light mode which are both designed to help ease strain on your eyes. 

30 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

I can't find anything on what that tech is actually called. With Benq they have flicker free and a low blue light mode which are both designed to help ease strain on your eyes. 

I think it's called BenQ blu or something on those lines.

------

Dell:

Optimize eye comfort with a flicker-free screen.

NOTE:

The possible long-term effects of blue light emission from the monitor may

cause damage to the eyes, including eye fatigue or digital eye strain. ComfortView

feature is designed to reduce the amount of blue light emitted from the monitor to

optimize eye comfort.

^ This is why I was interested in the eye protection. Dell also confirms you can do long runs with the monitor.

Yeah, so it's pretty much the same as a combination of the Benq flicker free and low blue light. If you look at the high end for most monitor companies you'll probably see similar things with different names. 

7 hours ago, kerradeph said:

After reading many reviews, the UP version does indeed hit the 1000 nits. Which is stated in the specs. It's the non UP versions that don't hit the 1000 nits. UP version uses a different panel.

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

After reading many reviews, the UP version does indeed hit the 1000 nits. Which is stated in the specs. It's the non UP versions that don't hit the 1000 nits. UP version uses a different panel.

Oh. Odd. I was looking at a monitor statistics site and it didn't say anything about it going up to 1000 when HDR is enabled. For some reason Dell's site refuses to let me see the monitor.

14 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Oh. Odd. I was looking at a monitor statistics site and it didn't say anything about it going up to 1000 when HDR is enabled. For some reason Dell's site refuses to let me see the monitor.

Only suggestion I might have to add to this is that if you're going to be using a 4K monitor, you may find it worth it to upgrade to the UP3216Q. The UI is much easier to see and use at the 32" level than at 27", speaking from both anecdotal evidence gathered here on the forums and personal experience.

13 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

Only suggestion I might have to add to this is that if you're going to be using a 4K monitor, you may find it worth it to upgrade to the UP3216Q. The UI is much easier to see and use at the 32" level than at 27", speaking from both anecdotal evidence gathered here on the forums and personal experience.

The Up32 is not the same as the Up2718Q, Very different specs and panel. Not even sure UP32 is a 10bit panel. Plus it doesn't support HDR10.

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

The Up32 is not the same as the Up2718Q, Very different specs and panel. Not even sure UP32 is a 10bit panel. Plus it doesn't support HDR10.

You're correct in that they're not different size versions of the same panel.

They are both members of the Dell UltraSharp family, however, which means pro-grade color accuracy.

The UP3216Q is indeed a 10bit panel. It doesn't support HDR as the contrast ratio is 1000:1 vs the 1300:1 of the 2718Q, but until we know what you're driving them with, and what applications you're using, the difference may be moot. Overall I don't think the difference in spec is that large, the 2718 has the extra brightness but either are perfectly viable options.

34 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

You're correct in that they're not different size versions of the same panel.

They are both members of the Dell UltraSharp family, however, which means pro-grade color accuracy.

The UP3216Q is indeed a 10bit panel. It doesn't support HDR as the contrast ratio is 1000:1 vs the 1300:1 of the 2718Q, but until we know what you're driving them with, and what applications you're using, the difference may be moot. Overall I don't think the difference in spec is that large, the 2718 has the extra brightness but either are perfectly viable options.

UP32 does have a much larger bezel, where UP27 uses the new Infinity Edge which is very thin. Difference from 27 to 32 in the actual screen may be very close to one another.

32" monitor just seem to large for a PC monitor, Might as well get a TV instead of a monitor at 32"+.

1 minute ago, Revan654 said:

UP32 does have a much larger bezel, where UP27 uses the new Infinity Edge which is very thin. Difference from 27 to 32 in the actual screen may be very close to one another.

32" monitor just seem to large for a PC monitor.

The size of the monitor is not measured from bezel to bezel, but rather the actual size of the internal panel from edge to edge. So it will be the actual ~5 inch difference.

It's entirely your choice, I just want to put it out there that the UI on the 27" may be a bit small, especially considering that you're looking for something easy on the eyes.