Upgrade or New - Ryzen R5 vs. Dell T30

So, I need to upgrade a business pc to last for another 5+ years.

My options are upgrading the system I have on hand with a Ryzen 5 1500x using 1x8GB RAM (!) and a B350 MB.

The PSU was recently replaced so it's less than a year old. Also, upgradepath. And 4C/8T.

or buying a Dell T30 (Xeon something CPU, equivalent to an i5-6400).

The Dell would be completly new with an additional HDD for backups while the upgrade option would be faster (around 20% by benchmarks).

My gut says Ryzen, but I wanted to ask you, maybe I'm missing something.

Edit:

This is calculated like this due to pricing. Both systems are roughly the same cost.

I would go with the intel system.

still decently fast and all new parts! if you could have gone with a Ryzen 1700 however.. i would have definitely preferred that over the i5 6400 :)

Ryzen is the best choice by a long shot, much better upgrade path, but if you can try to get the 1600 it will last longer, btw in February new ryzen CPUs will come out with around 10% higher clocks fyi

9 minutes ago, Ansuex said:

I would go with the intel system.

still decently fast and all new parts! if you could have gone with a Ryzen 1700 however.. i would have definitely preferred that over the i5 6400 :)

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Ryzen is the best choice by a long shot, much better upgrade path, but if you can try to get the 1600 it will last longer, btw in February new ryzen CPUs will come out with around 10% higher clocks fyi

Hmm, the PC is used for translations. the 1500 is sufficent. Now it's 1/1.

I checked the 1600 but that is currently a +60€ investment.

The PC currently runs a AMD DualCore from 2008 so while the upgrade is kinda overdue, the requirements are pretty low to begin with. It's more a price choice than anything else.

(The R5 1400 is only 8€ less, so that is not worth saving. :P )

Thanks for the fyi, I was not aware when new AMDs would come out. Hopefully they can close the gap to intel a bit (and thus, fully kick a** :D