1080p 144hz G-Sync or 2560x1080 ultrawide?

Looking for advice. I want to upgrade my old Dell 1080p 60hz Display, but not sure which way to go. I've heard great things about both options, but only have about £400 to spend, so can't really go for both, with those options going for anywhere north of £800. 

Ideally needs to have a VESA mount, or an accessory to add one.

My system is running an i5-4690k, 8gb RAM, and an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X.

3 minutes ago, I_AcCIdentA11Y said:

Looking for advice. I want to upgrade my old Dell 1080p 60hz Display, but not sure which way to go. I've heard great things about both options, but only have about £400 to spend, so can't really go for both, with those options going for anywhere north of £800. 

Ideally needs to have a VESA mount, or an accessory to add one.

My system is running an i5-4690k, 8gb RAM, and an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X.

I don't think they make G-sync 21:9 at 1080p

But I would buy a free-sync display in any event and save money, skip 21:9 and go for 4k though. It will work fine with your GPU.

Either 1080p 144hz TN

or 4k 60Hz IPS

Personally I've been using a 144hz display for a while and I think I'd rather have a 4k display at this point. Go for 144hz if you play a ton of fps games.

The G-sync one is 100 more than the free-sync display with the same type of panel.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4NsWhq
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4NsWhq/by_merchant/

Monitor: AOC - G2460PG 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  (£311.56 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  (£214.98 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  (£328.97 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £855.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-24 02:23 GMT+0000

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I don't think they make G-sync 21:9 at 1080p

But I would buy a free-sync display in any event and save money, skip 21:9 and go for 4k though. It will work fine with your GPU.

Either 1080p 144hz TN

or 4k 60Hz IPS

Personally I've been using a 144hz display for a while and I think I'd rather have a 4k display at this point. Go for 144hz if you play a ton of fps games.

The G-sync one is 100 more than the free-sync display with the same type of panel.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4NsWhq
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4NsWhq/by_merchant/

Monitor: AOC - G2460PG 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  (£311.56 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  (£214.98 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  (£328.97 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £855.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-24 02:23 GMT+0000

Thanks. I'll probably look into the AOC G-SYNC model. 

As for your comment about 1080p G-SYNC ultrawide, I'm pretty sure I saw one a while ago. I'll see if I can find it again and link it for you.

Just now, I_AcCIdentA11Y said:

Is adaptive sync really worth an extra 100 dollars? compared to the same exact monitor with free-sync?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Is adaptive sync really worth an extra 100 dollars? compared to the same exact monitor with free-sync?

Yeah. Screen tearing really bothers me. Not even kidding when I say that I can't play games like Doom without V-Sync. Stuttering does bother me, but nowhere near as much. I bought into the Nvidia ecosystem purely for Gamestream and G-Sync.

Found the 2560x1080 G-Sync one, but it's end-of-life now. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/295-acer-predator-z301c-curved-g-sync-144hz-219-2560x1080-(200hz-ocd)-4ms-5x-usb-30-hdmi-dp-black-re

6 minutes ago, I_AcCIdentA11Y said:

Nvm saw it

It may be more an issue of your i5 and 8gbs of RAM in some games, Doom for example shouldn't have any issues though, and you could just enable fast sync on your current display to eliminate screen tearing in that game

But if you think of it another way, that's 100 saved towards a future GPU upgrade to Navi next year

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well what's your current PC set up?

Just a used Dell P2014H, and a crappy TV for Xbox/Chromecast on a dual monitor arm.

5 minutes ago, I_AcCIdentA11Y said:

Yeah. Screen tearing really bothers me. Not even kidding when I say that I can't play games like Doom without V-Sync. Stuttering does bother me, but nowhere near as much. I bought into the Nvidia ecosystem purely for Gamestream and G-Sync.

Found the 2560x1080 G-Sync one, but it's end-of-life now. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/295-acer-predator-z301c-curved-g-sync-144hz-219-2560x1080-(200hz-ocd)-4ms-5x-usb-30-hdmi-dp-black-re

Have you tried high refresh rate? once you go there you won't see tearing like you would on a 60hz. 

Just now, I_AcCIdentA11Y said:

Just a used Dell P2014H, and a crappy TV for Xbox/Chromecast on a dual monitor arm.

Edited my post heavily

and ya at 144hz in general screen tearing is far less noticeable

Spoiler

Just now, GamesOfThrones said:

Have you tried high refresh rate? once you go there you won't see tearing like you would on a 60hz. 

No, I haven't. That's why I was asking if it's worth going for over an ultrawide.

22 minutes ago, I_AcCIdentA11Y said:

No, I haven't. That's why I was asking if it's worth going for over an ultrawide.

imo I woudn't go for gsync, I rather spend it on something else. Twitch streamers play a variety of games and pro players play fps games without Gsync. What makes you think you or I need it? And yes, I have experienced gsync with my friend's PG279Q.

Just now, GamesOfThrones said:

imo I woudn't go gsync, I rather spend it on something else. Twitch streamers play a variety of games and pro players play fps games without Gsync. What makes you think you or I need it? 

That's just it, I've heard so many great things about it, despite the extra cost, but I don't know anyone who's taken the plunge yet, and I don't live near any kind of decent showroom so can't try it beforehand. 

I've already tried Ultrawide, and really enjoyed that, but wanted other opinions on wether high refresh rate/G-Sync is worth it.

27 minutes ago, I_AcCIdentA11Y said:

That's just it, I've heard so many great things about it, despite the extra cost, but I don't know anyone who's taken the plunge yet, and I don't live near any kind of decent showroom so can't try it beforehand. 

I've already tried Ultrawide, and really enjoyed that, but wanted other opinions on wether high refresh rate/G-Sync is worth it.

high refresh rate is worth it, gsync is not worth it. it just nice to have. UW vs high refresh rate will depend on what you play. 

4 minutes ago, I_AcCIdentA11Y said:

I have an AMD GPU with a free-sync display and I can tell you that I've never really had a reason to turn free-sync on.

I would never spend an extra 100 dollars just to get G-sync when you can get the same display with free-sync for less.

Spoiler