SSD Prices

Radec

So I saw Elric's video on TOT that talked about a 2TB SSD and that it would lower the current SSD Prices. He said that the SSD would come out next year or so. How much of a price difference would we be seeing? Also should I wait for the price drop or just get an SSD? 

i duno maybe it might go down if we can manufacture it cheaply

im guessing we might see them the 2tb @ £400-500 and 1tb @ high end of £300 or sommmin

So I saw Elric's video on TOT that talked about a 2TB SSD and that it would lower the current SSD Prices. He said that the SSD would come out next year or so. How much of a price difference would we be seeing? Also should I wait for the price drop or just get an SSD? 

Next year 1 TB will be 500$. Following year probably 2TB 500$.

It's dropping dramatically.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i duno maybe it might go down if we can manufacture it cheaply

im guessing we might see them @ £400-500 and 1tb @ high end of £300 or sommmin

Next year 1 TB will be 500$. Following year probably 2TB 500$.

It's dropping dramatically.

lol u can already get 1tb for about $500 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te1t0bw

If SSD became cheaper than HDD, that would be awesome

Compatible with Windows 95

I was more referring to the high end new release ones being that price. Like the pro series by samsung.

Newly released high end SSD with 1 TB will be 500$ next year.

Currently low and mid end ones are reaching those prices but they've been out for quite a while

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's just the cycle of technological progression. New things come out at astronomical prices and only get sales from people that need it or people that want it and have too much money. Anything less than that isn't the best and doesn't need a best price to go with it any more and they join the race to the bottom.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

If SSD became cheaper than HDD, that would be awesome

That's not going to happen for a very long time you can get 1TB Barracudas for 60% right now.

That's not going to happen for a very long time you can get 1TB Barracudas for 60% right now.

Yeah, wishful thinking though

Compatible with Windows 95

It probably wont happen ever.

It will once HDD's become an old dead technology.

So would it be stupid to buy SSD's atm? Im planning to buy a 250GB Samsung Evo.

It will once HDD's become an old dead technology.

which isnt going to happen any time soon. Also ssd are considered more of a stepping stone technology as they will never rival the hdd in price per gb and we already know of better faster storage. So there is a good chance the ssd will die out before it overtakes the hdd.

So would it be stupid to buy SSD's atm? Im planning to buy a 250GB Samsung Evo.

Should have gotten on black friday there had them for like 130$

Should have gotten on black friday there had them for like 130$

I'm probably in the same boat as this guy. I've been planning out a build for the next year, so Black Friday came about, nothing exciting for me to make me want to build a new computer now. Cyber Monday, same thing. The next day, they had my case for $90 off, Windows $20 off and CPU/RAM combo for ~$170 off the "retail" price. Now I'm waiting for the mobo I want, SSD, and H220 to drop to save a little bit more money. I want to install Windows on the SSD, so I was going to let prices continue to drop before getting/building a new system. Now that my system is pretty much purchased, getting an SSD is higher on my priority list now.

I'm probably in the same boat as this guy. I've been planning out a build for the next year, so Black Friday came about, nothing exciting for me to make me want to build a new computer now. Cyber Monday, same thing. The next day, they had my case for $90 off, Windows $20 off and CPU/RAM combo for ~$170 off the "retail" price. Now I'm waiting for the mobo I want, SSD, and H220 to drop to save a little bit more money. I want to install Windows on the SSD, so I was going to let prices continue to drop before getting/building a new system. Now that my system is pretty much purchased, getting an SSD is higher on my priority list now.

H220 probably wont drop it really doesnt have a competitor and there is no word of it getting a replacement any time soon.

It's probably going to happen at some point. We don't recycle the rare earth metals from HDDs, and unless that changes we will run out. We might be able to get away with it if different metals could be utilized for the same purpose.

As far as utility, hard drives' capacity/performance are useful. Reasonably fast storage in decent capacities. If HDDs die out, something will (probably) come in to fill the performance/capacity gap left in its wake.

Though that all might change with the advent of 4K and future video resolutions.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

It's probably going to happen at some point. We don't recycle the rare earth metals from HDDs, and unless that changes we will run out. We might be able to get away with it if different metals could be utilized for the same purpose.

As far as utility, hard drives' capacity/performance are useful. Reasonably fast storage in decent capacities. If HDDs die out, something will (probably) come in to fill the performance/capacity gap left in its wake.

Though that all might change with the advent of 4K and future video resolutions.

technology for HDDs of tens of terabytes is already confirmed and it being worked on to be commercially viable. SSDs could easily be the size of HDDs but no one could or would want to buy them. There is a reason why most SSDs are 2.5in or smaller. Things are already being worked on to replace SSDs and from the articles ive read they are by no means optimal nor a longer term solution. As for 4K that mostly depends on bitrate but a good HDD can do 150MB/s sequential, an older drive can do 100MB/s, and even a Samsung F4 does at least 80mb/s. The 150MB/s should be more than enough for average editing but using raid for editing would probably be even more popular then. I already have a RAID10 array of 4 1TB single platter drives for encoding myself.