Plug/unplug damage hdmi port

RenanDaSilva
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
2 minutes ago, RenanDaSilva said:

So, if i plug and unplug the hdmi cable from the gpu port, let's say for about hundred times it will not damage the gpu port or degrade quality because its digital signal?

It will wear it out marginally but will still function, it's designed for a lot more insertions than that before it physically has connection issues. There is no degrade in picture quality, it will either provide a signal and work or not work at all. 

I need to know if plug and unplug the hdmi cable from the gpu port several times can damage it and worsen sharpness and image quality with time. I moved 3x times in the period of 1 year to find the ideal place to live and during this time i had to connect and disconnect my PC devices several times, i believe more than 30 times. And I read somewhere that you should not plug and unplug the hdmi cable from the gpu port and monitor multiple times because it may end up damaging it. So I am with this doubt, if that assertion is real and can worsen the quality of the image with time. Thanks for the attention. (Note: I'm talking about damaging the 19 golden pins where the video and audio information is pass.)

4 minutes ago, RenanDaSilva said:

I need to know if plug and unplug the hdmi cable from the gpu port several times can damage it and worsen sharpness and image quality with time. I moved 3x times in the period of 1 year to find the ideal place to live and during this time i had to connect and disconnect my PC devices several times, i believe more than 30 times. And I read somewhere that you should not plug and unplug the hdmi cable from the gpu port and monitor multiple times because it may end up damaging it. So I am with this doubt, if that assertion is real and can worsen the quality of the image with time. Thanks for the attention. (Note: I'm talking about damaging the 19 golden pins where the video and audio information is pass.)

It wears it out with lots of insertions but your talking in the region of hundreds to thousands before it has connection issues. It's spec'ed at 10000 cycles for insertions, this can vary a bit between different manufacture's. 

http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Specification+Or+Standard108-57510BpdfEnglishENG_SS_108-57510_B.pdf

Since its digital, it'll just stop working or become intermittent, you won't degrade quality.

If you're worried about it, my school's IT found that plugging in your monitor's cable into a 30cm extension lead on the videocard works great, you can wear out the connector on the extention cable and just replace it instead of the card. But this was in a school where the projector was unplugged multiple times a day. As mentioned above, the connectors have quite a high rating of cycles, I personally wouldn't be worried about a couple dozen cycles on the connector.

So, if i plug and unplug the hdmi cable from the gpu port, let's say for about hundred times it will not damage the gpu port or degrade quality because its digital signal?

2 minutes ago, RenanDaSilva said:

It will wear it out marginally but will still function, it's designed for a lot more insertions than that before it physically has connection issues. There is no degrade in picture quality, it will either provide a signal and work or not work at all.