Bitcoin Mining With Old Gpu's

Guest DL__

I am buying a rx 580 for gaming ( I just got a freesync monitor I know its technically a downgrade ) and I don't want to sell my gtx 980ti. What should I do to have it mine using etherium at the highest efficiency?

Use the 580 to mine and keep the 980ti in the system.The 980ti is 10-20 percent faster than the 580

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Use the 580 to mine and keep the 980ti in the system.The 980ti is 10-20 percent faster than the 580

But I am not looking for high fps and ultra settings , only buttery smooth fps.

Just now, DL__ said:

But I am not looking for high fps and ultra settings , only buttery smooth fps.

?

The 980ti will give you more buttery smooth FPS

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

?

The 980ti will give you more buttery smooth FPS

I Have been using it for a while, and it has not given me that. I have gotten many dips. So I am turning to free sync to prevent it.

980Ti is about the same as GTX1070, which is about the same as Vega56.

All of these are way faster than the RX580.

1 minute ago, kinski said:

980Ti is about the same as GTX1070, which is about the same as Vega56.

All of these are way faster than the RX580.

The 980ti is nice, but I get alot of frame rate instability that makes the game not smooth , so I am turning to freesync using a 580 to help me.

Because a 580 is 270 and a vega 56 is 450

Just now, kinski said:

Why not get a Vega56 and "eat the cake", then?

I want my system to last as long as possible and I think the vega 56 is nice, but the games that the vga 56 will run will probably be too much for my fx 9590 anyway.

But it's slower than 980Ti, and noticeably at that... If the idea was to have Freesync enabled then you've achieved that, but with considerable loss in avg/min fps and low frametime.

It's a net downgrade, wasted money, in my mind.

1 minute ago, kinski said:

But it's slower than 980Ti, and noticeably at that... If the idea was to have Freesync enabled then you've achieved that, but with considerable loss in avg/min fps and low frametime.

It's a net downgrade, wasted money, in my mind.

I am not understanding how though? I have tested the 980ti out on many games lowering them to the lowest settings and I still get the same choppy game play due to dips in fps. But I believe it is my processor that is the cause, but I do not want to get rid of it yet. So freesync is my only option besides buying a new motherboard, processor , and ram. Unless I am wrong?

Just an idea, maybe your fx9590 is causing the inconsistent frame times?

mining on either will be fine, you can even mine on one while it's in your system while you game on the other. I recommend using nicehash miner. It's very user friendly.

2 minutes ago, DL__ said:

I am not understanding how though? I have tested the 980ti out on many games lowering them to the lowest settings and I still get the same choppy game play due to dips in fps. But I believe it is my processor that is the cause, but I do not want to get rid of it yet. So freesync is my only option besides buying a new motherboard, processor , and ram. Unless I am wrong?

We had the same thought as we posted at nearly the same time lol

Just now, Rubymaster said:

We had the same thought as we posted at nearly the same time lol

Lol, but will freesync deliver me the smooth gameplay it if its on the cpu side?

1 minute ago, DL__ said:

Lol, but will freesync deliver me the smooth gameplay it if its on the cpu side?

I don't think it will.
Freesync doesn't magically fix dips in frame rate and stutter. It and Gsync are meant to fix tearing.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers and see if that makes a difference?

Yes, I have tried everything lol. Its the 9590.

2 minutes ago, Rubymaster said:

I don't think it will.
Freesync doesn't magically fix dips in frame rate and stutter. It and Gsync are meant to fix tearing.

But I thought freesync allowed you to have smooth gameplay in between a specific range of fps?

I wasnt trying to attack. What i was trying to say is that "upgrade" to RX580 from GTX980Ti will result in worse performance.

Freesync enables the GPU and monitor/panel to work in unison, so that within the panels Freesync range the output from GPU is displayed without visual tearing. This does not mean the games run faster, you just wont see the tearing if panel cant keep up or GPU cant keep up (again, within the panels freesync range).

Just now, DL__ said:

Yes, I have tried everything lol. Its the 9590.

But I thought freesync allowed you to have smooth gameplay in between a specific range of fps?

It matches the output framerate of the gpu with the monitor. If the gpu dips, the monitor dips too. 
What is probably causing the dips is slow frame times. These are represented the 1% and .01% lows some other reviewers use.

1 minute ago, Julian2000nl said:

This is exactly what I don't like about this forum. Just let the guy do what he wants to without attacking him.

I think you should mine something like Litecoin as it's in my opinion way easier and just works without issue. I'd recomment putting the 980ti in a seperate system, boot Ubuntu Server on it as operating system and set up cgminer. You technically don't even need a monitor connected to the system as you can install openssh-server on it and SSH into it from your main system. 

There's also this software called CUDAMiner which I heard is good for Nvidia cards, but I've never used is as I prefer to stay away from Nvidia. I mine in AikaPool myself(Dogecoin) but any pool will work, just watch out for really bad pools and fraudulant pools.

Now stop attacking OP for how he wants it. He wants it that way so let him do it that way. Thanks.

I agree! Which is why I started my posts recommending a miner.
Separate systems would be nice. What I would recommend now that I have more information is to use the free sync monitor and 580 gpu for gaming, use the 980ti for mining. This can be done in the same system using nicehash. And to increase your gaming experience in the future, upgrade your cpu, mobo, and ram, and turn the old system into a mining system you can toss old cards into.

1 minute ago, Rubymaster said:

It matches the output framerate of the gpu with the monitor. If the gpu dips, the monitor dips too. 
What is probably causing the dips is slow frame times. These are represented the 1% and .01% lows some other reviewers use.

I agree! Which is why I started my posts recommending a miner.
Separate systems would be nice. What I would recommend now that I have more information is to use the free sync monitor and 580 gpu for gaming, use the 980ti for mining. This can be done in the same system using nicehash. And to increase your gaming experience in the future, upgrade your cpu, mobo, and ram, and turn the old system into a mining system you can toss old cards into.

Actually I am using nicehash now, its awesome. I will continue using that since I am unfamiliar with Ubuntu and even more with Ubuntu server. 

But I need a straight answer here: 

Will freesync fix the frame time issues and the non-smooth game play so that I don't have to buy a new cpu yet or no?

def dont mine btc with a gpu... but you can mine other coins...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

29 minutes ago, DL__ said:

Actually I am using nicehash now, its awesome. I will continue using that since I am unfamiliar with Ubuntu and even more with Ubuntu server. 

But I need a straight answer here: 

Will freesync fix the frame time issues and the non-smooth game play so that I don't have to buy a new cpu yet or no?

I cannot give a 100% for sure answer, but I think if you haven't bought the 580 and the monitor yet, and your focus is gaming, your money would be better spent on upgrading cpu, mobo, ram eventually.