Build Opinions

MajorFoley

Ok exporting is not working trying to get my parts list to show up, in the mean time the link is here

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zmWsqk

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($285.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($349.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($219.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($299.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($619.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: Asus - BC-12D2HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Monitor: Acer - XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 180Hz Monitor  ($529.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $2886.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-20 21:44 AEDT+1100

So i'll be buying most if not all of this from pccasegaer, not always the cheapest store but it saves me shipping costs from multiple places, i can also get a copy of win 10 for 90 bucks from ozgame shop. The power supply IS available there at casegear but apparently partpicker hasn't updated on it and refuses to show the price which is $160 AUD

Now i would be a first time overclocker on the CPU, RAM i just plan on using XMP so i am debating between the liquid cooler or just getting a 212x which would save me an extra 70 bucks. I also think with this case i would have to remove one of the HDD cages to fit the 1070 in. Just wanted peoples opinions and should i change anything? I was thinking instead of the WD black maybe the HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB but other than that. Only other concern is the case with the window may make some noise compared to the non windowed case but apparently there isn't much difference from a video i saw. One other thing, for some reason that acer monitor has bmipr in its name but the casegear post doesn't seem to have that.

Man, this is confusing to read

Don´t see any reason to go with 4GB of storage, but that´s just me.

Also I would go up to 600w or 650w on the PSU, but ye, 550w is enough.

And yes, a windowed case usually lets more sound out than normal cases, but proper fans and it´s no worry. I sit with my pc like 60cm away from my head at all times, and I never notice it.

About the cooler, the Corsair H100i v2 is a VERY good cooler. I have it myself, and have 0 complaints, other than it being quite annoying to install by yourself, you probably want to be 2 people for it. But it doesn´t really matter when you overclock, you´d probably do just as well with an aircooler, tho I just find aircoolers ugly AF lol.

Hope I helped!

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T || PSU: Corsair RM650i || Mobo: Asus RoG Strix Z270E || CPU: Intel i5-7600K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H110i v2 || RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 16GB White LED || GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB GAMING X || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Samsung MZ1280 M.2 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

3 minutes ago, redbullvodka said:

Man, this is confusing to read

Don´t see any reason to go with 4GB of storage, but that´s just me.

And yes, a windowed case usually lets more sound out than normal cases, but proper fans and it´s no worry. I sit with my pc like 60cm away from my head at all times, and I never notice it.

About the cooler, the Corsair H100i v2 is a VERY good cooler. I have it myself, and have 0 complaints, other than it being quite annoying to install by yourself, you probably want to be 2 people for it. But it doesn´t really matter when you overclock, you´d probably do just as well with an aircooler, tho I just find aircoolers ugly AF lol.

Hope I helped!

You mean 4TB of storage? The problem is in Australian we don't have fast internet. I cant just up and delete a 50gb game and install another 50gb game in like 10-20 minutes. I'm on 25/5 at the most on a good day. I did forget to mention that if zen+ or zen2 whatever its called next year does provide a good boost in clock speed that i would sell this one and go to that. I do plan on streaming and light content creation so yeah.

If i do get this AIO i need to ask this and pardon my ignorance but with custom loops you normally fill the water yourself but with AIO's does the liquid ever evaporate? Another thing is that if i pay an extra 80 i could get the NVME version of that samsung SSD instead of SATA, was wondering if it could be worth the extra cost.

Oh, sorry, 4 TB of course.

Ye, you do how you feel of course, I´m just sharing my personal experiences. I have a 128GB ssd, and a 1 TB hdd, and I got plenty of room for games and other shitty things :)

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T || PSU: Corsair RM650i || Mobo: Asus RoG Strix Z270E || CPU: Intel i5-7600K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H110i v2 || RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 16GB White LED || GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB GAMING X || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Samsung MZ1280 M.2 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

i have the same PSU, and it's really quiet. good choice :)

550W might be a little cramped though.. i would go with the 650W RMx..

She/Her

11 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Ok exporting is not working trying to get my parts list to show up, in the mean time the link is here

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zmWsqk

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($285.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($349.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($219.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($299.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($619.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Monitor: Acer - XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 180Hz Monitor  ($529.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $2886.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-20 21:44 AEDT+1100

So i'll be buying most if not all of this from pccasegaer, not always the cheapest store but it saves me shipping costs from multiple places, i can also get a copy of win 10 for 90 bucks from ozgame shop. The power supply IS available there at casegear but apparently partpicker hasn't updated on it and refuses to show the price which is $160 AUD

Now i would be a first time overclocker on the CPU, RAM i just plan on using XMP so i am debating between the liquid cooler or just getting a 212x which would save me an extra 70 bucks. I also think with this case i would have to remove one of the HDD cages to fit the 1070 in. Just wanted peoples opinions and should i change anything? I was thinking instead of the WD black maybe the HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB but other than that. Only other concern is the case with the window may make some noise compared to the non windowed case but apparently there isn't much difference from a video i saw. One other thing, for some reason that acer monitor has bmipr in its name but the casegear post doesn't seem to have that.

Solid build man!

If you are not going to overclock that Ryzen 5 runs nicely on an air cooler. (XMP is not for the CPU, just for the RAM)

Scythe has some really good coolers (But they are humongous) But that Hyper 212X should take care of the heat pretty well. (Although heavy overclocking is a no go)

No bottlenecks or imbalance as far as I can see.

Mind posting some pictures when it is done?

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Just now, Sfekke said:

Solid build man!

If you are not going to overclock that Ryzen 5 runs nicely on an air cooler. (XMP is not for the CPU, just for the RAM)

Scythe has some really good coolers (But they are humongous) But that Hyper 212X should take care of the heat pretty well. (Although heavy overclocking is a no go)

No bottlenecks or imbalance as far as I can see.

Mind posting some pictures when it is done?

Depends on when i can build but yeah it might not be until towards the end of the year cos i need to get a new car first! My first build i ever did 6 years ago i wouldnt dare take photos because i didn't do great cable management and it was a full tower case, bit ambitious for my first PC but the 2500k lasted me this long and can even still play new colossus despite saying it cant :)

I know XMP is ram only hence why im getting that set in particular but it will be my first time overclocking the CPU and while im hoping to get good luck im a little worried. Even if these chips are OCable the warranty is void immediately right?

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

550W might be a little cramped though.. i would go with the 650W RMx.

12 minutes ago, redbullvodka said:

Alright so i may up it to 600W or 650W depending on price wise.

1 minute ago, MajorFoley said:

Alright so i may up it to 600W or 650W depending on price wise

Don't bother, 550W is plenty. 450W would be enough, even overclocked

:)

I know XMP is ram only hence why im getting that set in particular but it will be my first time overclocking the CPU and while im hoping to get good luck im a little worried. Even if these chips are OCable the warranty is void immediately right?

The warranty is indeed a bit of a problem then, if AMD or the shop where you buy it knows you OC'd or there is clear user damage it is void.

But if they cannot prove it, a lie for the greater good is not such a bad idea ;) 

I just also noticed the power supply, maybe going for an RM750i from corsair would be a good idea?

Mainly because you mentioned cable management, a modular PSU could help you.

It also doesn't make much noise, I have 2 of them and they only spin up under heavier gaming loads (CS:GO/overwatch do not trigger the fan)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Don't bother, 550W is plenty. 450W would be enough, even overclocked

Keep in mind that noise levels would be louder, if OP desires silence going a bit higher in wattage allows it to run cooler & more silent.

Modular is also a nice touch for cable management, something he mentioned (and I did in my previous post)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

1 minute ago, Sfekke said:

I just also noticed the power supply, maybe going for an RM750i from corsair would be a good idea?

Mainly because you mentioned cable management, a modular PSU could help you.

It also doesn't make much noise, I have 2 of them and they only spin up under heavier gaming loads (CS:GO/overwatch do not trigger the fan)

These corsair ones are modular ones too so all good on that front. 600 is as high as i will go, i don't plan on SLI and really the only upgrades i would consider in the future would be the CPU or just more storage really.

Just now, Sfekke said:

Keep in mind that noise levels would be louder, if OP desires silence going a bit higher in wattage allows it to run cooler & more silent.

Modular is also a nice touch for cable management, something he mentioned (and I did in my previous post)

The noise levels will be the same. Same platform, and if you actually looked up the fan speeds at the same load, you'll see that both the 550W and 650W model run the fan at 610 RPM at a 390W load. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=28

Both the 550W and 650W models are fully modular

These corsair ones are modular ones too so all good on that front. 600 is as high as i will go, i don't plan on SLI and really the only upgrades i would consider in the future would be the CPU or just more storage really.

If you do not mind the extra heat & fan noise, go around 550Watts.

Should power it nicely, just do not go SLI afterwards haha (I run SLI and wouldn't do it again.)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

Just now, seon123 said:

The noise levels will be the same. Same platform, and if you actually looked up the fan speeds at the same load, you'll see that both the 550W and 650W model run the fan at 610 RPM at a 390W load. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=28

Both the 550W and 650W models are fully modular

I cannot look up every detail mate, I'm at work so I just post here when I have time off.

But yes that is true to an extent.

Just keep in mind the fan on lower rated PSU's might (not will just might) spin up quicker.

Had this myself, but it might also be the difference in PSU Quality (Same brand tough)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Was gonna say that doesn't the lower watts usually mean it needs to work a bit harder to keep it cool, it's what ive seen posted many times

4 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Should power it nicely, just do not go SLI afterwards haha (I run SLI and wouldn't do it again.)

I wouldn't do that anyway, it doesn't seem worth it when the GPU is the easiest thing to upgrade in a case.

I´m way too lazy to quote people on the PSU, but what I was gonna say was that I got a RM650I, a 650W fully modular corsair PSU.

It also has a passive fan, so the fan doesn´t even turn on unless my PSU is getting really hot. Don´t think it actually ever have seen full RPMs now that I think of it.

On 21/11/2017 at 2:07 AM, redbullvodka said:

I´m way too lazy to quote people on the PSU, but what I was gonna say was that I got a RM650I, a 650W fully modular corsair PSU.

It also has a passive fan, so the fan doesn´t even turn on unless my PSU is getting really hot. Don´t think it actually ever have seen full RPMs now that I think of it.

Whats the difference between the I and the X? They seem real similar to me. Also what about EVGA PSU's vs Corsairs? Making a few changes and grabbing the CPU early while it's on special.

3 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

Whats the difference between the I and the X? They seem real similar to me. Also what about EVGA PSU's vs Corsairs? Making a few changes and grabbing the CPU early while it's on special.

RM Series: RMi Series:
•5 Year Warranty •7 Year Warranty
•Only Japanese Primary Cap •ALL Japanese Capacitors
•Rated for Full Output at 40°C
•Rated for Full Output at 50°C
•Rifle Bearing Fan •Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan
•Analog Output for Link •Digital Output for Link
•Only Monitors +12V Load and Fan Speed •Monitor Power In, Out, Efficiency, Voltages, Fan Speed and Temperature
•Single +12V Rail, Non-Configurable •Multiple +12V Rail by Default.  Switchable to Single +12V Rail using Link software

That was copied straight from corsairs webpage, kinda says it all. EVGA is good, tho in my opinion, Corsair is better.

3 minutes ago, redbullvodka said:

-Snip-

The RM is not the same as the RMx, not at all. Also, both have 10 year warranties

• 3 weeks later...

So been a while, i've decided on just getting the RMX, i don't think i'll need corsair link as i won't have any other corsair products, might change in the future but until then it isn't needed and im going from 550w to 650w.

If i decide to go from 16GB to 32GB of RAM in the future, sell the kit and get a new kit of 2x16 or just get the same of another kit and use it in 4x8? I will be using XMP mainly for it's OCing to 3200.

I'm also worried about the AIO and corsair link, alot of people seem to use some kind of extra headers from NZXT? Can i get some pointers here?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($325.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($359.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($215.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.00) 
Monitor: Acer - XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 180Hz Monitor  ($499.00 @ Scorptec) 
Total: $3071.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-12 09:45 AEDT+1100