RX Vega 56 now or cheap 4k 60 fps later

HI All!  first day on that linus forums as a registered user.  So here is my situation.  I essentially want to game at 4k 60 lol,  yes I know that's a tall order that even the mighty 1080 ti is struggling with.  So here is my dilemma.\

Should I wait until 2018 with the hope that gaming at 4k 60 fps will become affordable ($300 - $400, budget i decided) obviously amd/nvidia know that some are waiting for those new cards & they could be $500 and up :/ is nvidia new volta going to be even that much greater?  will it even release next year?

OR!

should I buy a cheap RX Vega 56 now,  I don't need ultra settings, seriously.  medium to high is good enough for me.  will AMD improve the Vega drivers enough for them to get a lot better?  will vega be able to game better at 4k in the future once devs learn to code for it?  will the rapid packed math feature make a difference?

TLDR:  should i wait for maybe cheap 4k 60 fps in the future (use a gtx 1060 for now) or go with a RX 56 Vega now (maybe even BIOS flash it) lol?

Thanks in advance!  this will be really helpful for me and all input is welcome!!

6 minutes ago, wittypixel said:

HI All!  first day on that linus forums as a registered user.  So here is my situation.  I essentially want to game at 4k 60 lol,  yes I know that's a tall order that even the mighty 1080 ti is struggling with.  So here is my dilemma.\

Should I wait until 2018 with the hope that gaming at 4k 60 fps will become affordable ($300 - $400, budget i decided) obviously amd/nvidia know that some are waiting for those new cards & they could be $500 and up :/ is nvidia new volta going to be even that much greater?  will it even release next year?

OR!

should I buy a cheap RX Vega 56 now,  I don't need ultra settings, seriously.  medium to high is good enough for me.  will AMD improve the Vega drivers enough for them to get a lot better?  will vega be able to game better at 4k in the future once devs learn to code for it?  will the rapid packed math feature make a difference?

TLDR:  should i wait for maybe cheap 4k 60 fps in the future (use a gtx 1060 for now) or go with a RX 56 Vega now (maybe even BIOS flash it) lol?

Thanks in advance!  this will be really helpful for me and all input is welcome!!

If you already own a 1060 then wait until 4K60 becomes more feasible on mid range GPUs.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, wittypixel said:

will AMD improve the Vega drivers enough for them to get a lot better?  will vega be able to game better at 4k in the future once devs learn to code for it?  will the rapid packed math feature make a difference?

It will never be more powerful than the 1080ti, but it will become much more competitive than it is now. I suspect it will end up near the 1080 somewhere.

RX-56 in some newer titles is showing much promise. 

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

If you already own a 1060 then wait until 4K60 becomes more feasible on mid range GPUs.

I don't own a 1060 i would be buying the evga 1060 SC 3GB (to hold me over) or buy a vega 56 to use for 1-2 years.

I'm using a GTX 750........ 1GB... low profile (go ahead and let me have it lol)

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

It will never be more powerful than the 1080ti, but it will become much more competitive than it is now. I suspect it will end up near the 1080 somewhere.

RX-56 in some newer titles is showing much promise. 

yea, i agree that the 1080 ti is on another plane with this gen & that's fine since i would be gaming at high to medium

Just now, wittypixel said:

yea, i agree that the 1080 ti is on another plane with this gen & that's fine since i would be gaming at high to medium

I don't recommend buying a GPU for just 1 or 2 years.

Also, I don't think mainstream mid range GPUs will be able to handle 4K60 for at least 2 years which is a shame.

So basically, either stick with your current setup and wait for mid range GPUs to catch up OR buy a 1080Ti today and experience 4K60.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't recommend buying a GPU for just 1 or 2 years.

Also, I don't think mainstream mid range GPUs will be able to handle 4K60 for at least 2 years which is a shame.

So basically, either stick with your current setup and wait for mid range GPUs to catch up OR buy a 1080Ti today and experience 4K60.

why don't you recommend buying a gpu for that amount of time?  my thought behind it was i could upgrade then and sell my old one for a reasonable amount and my current isn't doing it for me so the upgrade is going to happen.  just the card is the question.

3 minutes ago, wittypixel said:

why don't you recommend buying a gpu for that amount of time?

Generally, products I spend more than $100 on should last me over 1 year. Especially products like graphics cards and CPUs.

I would never keep a GPU or a CPU for less than 2 years unless I absolutely had to.

If you need an in between option then go for a 1050Ti or 1060 3GB but make sure to sell it as soon as you don't need it anymore cos the value of GPUs falls pretty quickly after you buy it.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Generally, products I spend more than $100 on should last me over 1 year. Especially products like graphics cards and CPUs.

I would never keep a GPU or a CPU for less than 2 years unless I absolutely had to.

If you need an in between option then go for a 1050Ti or 1060 3GB but make sure to sell it as soon as you don't need it anymore cos the value of GPUs falls pretty quickly after you buy it.

make a good point about the video card losing value over time but i've also noticed 980 ti still sell for easily over 300.  i don't think 50%-60% of it's original value is too bad.  I'm still debating lol,  i feel so indecisive.