Hello guys!

In March 2017, I built my first ever custom pc. It's got an Asus z170 pro gaming, Gtx 1080 Strix overclocked , i7@6700K, 16gb HyperX Fury Black, 250gb Samsung 850 evo and and a 2tb Western Digital Black HDD. 

I was very proud when I built it. Got over 60fps on all titles on ultra settings. It was good times.

A few months later, 3 to be exact, I used to install games that have longer loading times on my SSD, but the games installed on that SSD got some really weird lag problems. GTA V, for example, used to get 80+ fps on ultra settings, but then, all of the sudden, I couldn't get above 40. When I tried installing it on the HDD, I immediately got the normal fps I would get - 80+ fps. 

I didn't think much and jumped to the conclusion my SSD had some stupid virus, so I quickly went ahead and reinstalled windows. Naturally, GTA V got 80+ fps again. This lag problem happened about 5 months ago

A month ago, I decided I wanted to try the GTA V REDUX mod, so I installed GTA V again, this time on my HDD, installed openIV, backed up my game and installed REDUX. It hurt my fps a little. I also tend to use V-sync now, since I only have a 60 hz monitor. 

Today, I wanted to play GTA V again, so I started the game, took longer to load then usual, only to get greeted by the same lag problem I had a couple of months back. This time my fps maxes out at 47, and in the city it's an absolute tragedy to play. Also tried COD WW2 - same problem. Used to get solid 60fps with V-sync, can't get over 30fps today. My GPU's fans also seemed to work their asses off a little harder than usual, so I decided to look at my overclocking program (the one Asus makes for their StriX cards). This is what I was greeted by:

lagproblems.JPG.c48bc8af28021fac662666c3884d74ba.JPG

What this means, is that my GPU is constantly using the max amount of GPU clock and Memory clock it can provide. Further more, also says the the memory usage is quite high up as well (1769, cause it has to have a 69 in it, to irritate me more).

Unfortunately I don't have any games installed on my SSD, and I don't have the time to install any on it, so I can't test if the problem comes from the HDD or anywhere else. I did try to defragment my HDD, but that didn't help.

So this is where I stand right now - I have literally no idea what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to reinstall windows again.

10 minutes ago, godsun said:

I really don't want to reinstall windows again.

well one issue most people don't understand is when a machine is subject to constant change , it looses consistency. Course that's true for almost anything. Things that never change tend to be very consistent. 

By leaving your updates on and letting drivers/directx/windows update and change , your machine is constantly changing from it's initial stock configuration. Clearly your hardware prefers the initial files it starts with rather than whatever it's being updated to.

it's not really a fixable problem without preventing the machine from never changing it's initial configuration. And it'll be pretty hard to pinpoint the problem if you just let the software do whatever it wants constantly.

Are you saying that Windows 10 updates effed up my PC? Since it was working fine yesterday, but there was an update today. Could it be from the Windows 10 update?