Upgrading Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro?

cj9jones

So this began when I was searching for the cheapest laptop I could find suitable for basically just typing and browsing with a good keyboard and battery life. Then I came across this sleek little thing:

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-E203NA-YS02-Featherweight-Dual-Core-processor/dp/B076BFSMPV

The only problem, is that it comes with Windows 10 S. Now, I looked into it and Microsoft has made it a very simple process so that if you buy a laptop equipped with Windows 10 S you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Several sources have stated that this upgrade is FREE for laptops over $799, and $49 for devices that don't qualify. Others have said that ANY laptop can upgrade for free. Some say that if you link your Windows to an educational institute then it is free, no matter what the price. The only consensus is that this "FREE" option, for any device, is only available until March 31st, 2018. I want to know:

1. If there is anybody who has upgraded their Windows 10 S device in this way, and if it is indeed only available for devices over $799.
2. If anybody can confirm the allegations of a free upgrade being available for those who link their college email to their copy of Windows.

3. If anybody can tell me if the laptop I linked above can be upgraded for free if I link my college email address.

Kind of a complicated problem, but I hope will help people decide a laptop to buy.

i5-4690k ~ EVGA GTX 960 SSC ~ MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ~ Corsair CX500 ~ Kingston HyperX 8gb ~ Cooler Master HAF 912

The Upgrade from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro is only available for free on devices over $799 USD such as the Surface Laptop.

Devices under $799 shipping to users with Windows 10 S will not be eligible for the free upgrade and users must pay $49 USD to upgrade to Pro.

Devices running Windows 10 S are aimed at Education and Businesses. They are not meant for anybody else.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The Upgrade from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro is only available for free on devices over $799 USD such as the Surface Laptop.

Devices under $799 shipping to users with Windows 10 S will not be eligible for the free upgrade and users must pay $49 USD to upgrade to Pro.

Devices running Windows 10 S are aimed at Education and Businesses. They are not meant for anybody else.

I mean, if it was only meant for education and businesses then they wouldn't be selling them to consumers so widely, but I get the functionality of it. Do you know anythign about the upgrade related to college email accounts?

i5-4690k ~ EVGA GTX 960 SSC ~ MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ~ Corsair CX500 ~ Kingston HyperX 8gb ~ Cooler Master HAF 912

49 minutes ago, cj9jones said:

I mean, if it was only meant for education and businesses then they wouldn't be selling them to consumers so widely, but I get the functionality of it. Do you know anythign about the upgrade related to college email accounts?

What AlumniumTech was trying to say is that it is available for all, but the target market is education and enterprise that is all. The idea is that the OS is locked down to Windows Store only items. Apps that are approved by Microsoft only So it brings security to the device that way. So it would be interesting for students and enterprise where they have limited needs in applications where all they actually need is available in the Store

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

What AlumniumTech was trying to say is that it is available for all, but the target market is education and enterprise that is all. The idea is that the OS is locked down to Windows Store only items. Apps that are approved by Microsoft only So it brings security to the device that way. So it would be interesting for students and enterprise where they have limited needs in applications where all they actually need is available in the Store

No believe me I get it, I understand what it all means and what the purpose is for, I just think it's odd that they would be sold to consumers at all. It's the whole reason they introduced the upgrade and extended the date for free upgrades to Windows 10 Pro: because consumers didn't understand what they were buying, so Windows felt they had to offer this fix. Really it would be enough for what I want to use this specific laptop for, except a lack of Google Chrome which I could in no way get behind.