What to Look for in a Dedicated Gaming server

Hi, I’m thinking of getting a dedicated server for hosting multiplayer games off so it can handle all the host data and off load it from my PC,

what should i look for when doing this, what is important?

single core performance or multi-core performace?

One CPU or dual CPU?

the idea is i would run headless game clients so graphic should not be a problem, e.g. the one i have in mind right now and want to host is Factorio

Depends what type of dedicated servers you plan on running. Some require good IPC and don't thread very well, others maybe not so much.

Depending on what you want will determine what you ask for. For example, Games like Rust and Ark are well known for being RAM hogs for the server clients. If you want to make sure that you can access it with low ping you may want to consider the area in which you are buying it from (EU or US servers)

Key factors i normally look for are:

Lowest Ping possible normally ties in with connection speed

Processing power

Decent amount of ram for the project

A sizeable amount of storage space for backups

What do you mean when you say type, I’m thinking of a dedicated game sever, also wat is IPC?

1 minute ago, MrBurtboxUK said:

Depending on what you want will determine what you ask for. For example, Games like Rust and Ark are well known for being RAM hogs for the server clients. If you want to make sure that you can access it with low ping you may want to consider the area in which you are buying it from (EU or US servers)

Key factors i normally look for are:

Lowest Ping possible normally ties in with connection speed

Processing power

I’m not thinking of renting a server in a data centre, I’m thinking of an actual server in my house

OK this narrows its down a bit more for me xD

So thinking about this looking for older computer parts might be a start such as older intel and amd chips

These 3 still apply

Processing power

I have an intel i5-4460 and GA-B85M-D3H, this was my old hardware i had in my gaming rig before upgrading, would you say that would be ok, i was not sure as i thought that dual CPU might be better but i don’t know

I was thinking second hand server equipment would be better for this kind of task or don’t think it is necessary?

Use whatever you have left over, buying used server hardware isn't needed for a local server and will just generate more sound and heat than a thrown together desktop (they'll both use roughly the same amount of power for a single CPU setup).

I looked it up and it looks like Factorio only needs a single CPU core with 1GB of RAM so that extra i5 you have and 4GB of RAM should be enough for Factorio with room for some more.

-KuJoe

9 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Use whatever you have left over, buying used server hardware isn't needed for a local server and will just generate more sound and heat than a thrown together desktop (they'll both use roughly the same amount of power for a single CPU setup).

I looked it up and it looks like Factorio only needs a single CPU core with 1GB of RAM so that extra i5 you have and 4GB of RAM should be enough for Factorio with room for some more.

Thanks,

i thick that gives me a better idea of what i should do, would you say that the server being lower performance then my gaming rig will make the hole thing pointless and just better off to keep hosting off of it?

I have an i7-4790K with ASUS strix 980Ti, i just trying to find ways to better the game performance for others that connect to me and setup a 24/7 kind of thing as some players are in different time zones so we would not all be on at the same time

25 minutes ago, Hamsandwich283 said:

Thanks,

i thick that gives me a better idea of what i should do, would you say that the server being lower performance then my gaming rig will make the hole thing pointless and just better off to keep hosting off of it?

I think the performance would be identical since most game servers aren't very demanding so they won't utilize all of the cores on your CPU or a used server CPU.

22 minutes ago, Hamsandwich283 said:

I have an i7-4790K with ASUS strix 980Ti, i just trying to find ways to better the game performance for others that connect to me and setup a 24/7 kind of thing as some players are in different time zones so we would not all be on at the same time

Your network connection will have a bigger impact on the performance for your friends than the CPU will. I would stick with the extra i5 you have and if the performance is still bad I would look at renting a VPS to host the server which will have better network performance as well as redundancy for better uptime.

-KuJoe

17 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I think the performance would be identical since most game servers aren't very demanding so they won't utilize all of the cores on your CPU or a used server CPU.

Your network connection will have a bigger impact on the performance for your friends than the CPU will. I would stick with the extra i5 you have and if the performance is still bad I would look at renting a VPS to host the server which will have better network performance as well as redundancy for better uptime.

In the end Went with a VPS in New York, 1Gbps, works pretty well. Cheers :D

thanks for the help