Unraid 4U on the floor?

Go to solution Solved by TheGlenlivet,

I have this exact case.  It comes with 3 surprisingly quiet Molex fans and a lot of space for hard drives.  If you leave the hard drives out the airflow will be pretty good.  You should be ok.

I have limited space in my apartment so my components need to either fit behind my TV stand (please ignore the messy cables, this picture was taken sometime the week after moving day), or below it.

Currently, my Unraid Box is a ATX Mid-Tower sitting behind my TV stand (in the picture, it is behind the fan behind the left speaker), but to get to it, I need to move a bunch of stuff around. What I'd like to do, is buy a new case (probably this one) and put it at the bottom of my TV stand to make my drives more accessible.

What do you guys think? Do I risk overheating my system if I do this? Should I try to find a matching glass pane or get some sort of rack mount to screw into the existing metal frame?

Or does it look like I'm going to be fine and dandy just setting the case on top of the existing metal frame as it is?

Gaming Desktop: ASRock Phantom Gaming X, R9-3900x, 64GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD

NAS Box: Gigabyte Z97, i5-4690, 32GB RAM, 22TB, 1TB SSD Cache.

Rack cases draw fresh air from the front so as long as you don't put it face down on the carpet you're fine.

It might however be a bit too long to fit under the TV stand, you might want to check dimensions first.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

I have this exact case.  It comes with 3 surprisingly quiet Molex fans and a lot of space for hard drives.  If you leave the hard drives out the airflow will be pretty good.  You should be ok.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

If you leave the hard drives out the airflow will be pretty good.

And what if I fill the case to its capacity of 12 drives?

4 minutes ago, Jaxder said:

And what if I fill the case to its capacity of 12 drives?

I haven't done this myself, but I would suspect those nice quiet fans might get a little too loud for your living room.  I am making an assumption though, you might be ok.  In your signature the NAS box has no GPU correct?  With no GPU it might be quiet enough for you.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

I haven't done this myself, but I would suspect those nice quiet fans might get a little too loud for your living room.  I am making an assumption though, you might be ok.  In your signature the NAS box has no GPU correct?  With no GPU it might be quiet enough for you.

Yeah no GPU.

Would it be able to fit 3 Noctua 140s? Because those would probably do really well for creating enough static pressure for effective cooling.

4 minutes ago, Jaxder said:

Yeah no GPU.

Would it be able to fit 3 Noctua 140s? Because those would probably do really well for creating enough static pressure for effective cooling.

Yes they will fit.  the stock fans are 120s though, you'll have to custom mount them.  

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Yes they will fit.  the stock fans are 120s though, you'll have to custom mount them.  

Thanks so much!