Floatplane Downloader & Plex [With Code & Guide]

Go to solution Solved by Inrix,

Version 5.9.0 - Async Yield & Fixes (GitHub)

*Going forward I am only going to post the link to the GitHub release as formatting everything a 2nd time here is just a pain.

20 hours ago, Magto said:

Awesome. Fantastic work!! When updating it only updates to version 4.4.0 tho. I've tried to reinstall and update once again but it still says 4.4.0 in the settings. 

Ah thanks, forgot to change it from beta to live in the update info :) If you update/install now it will do 4.5.0

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

• 4 weeks later...

Just got done downloading and installing this thing, awesome work :D

One downside, it looks like your recent addition of the WAN show made it download by default no matter what the one setting is set to. I added "TheWANShow": true to the ignore part in settings.md to try to get it to not download the shows, but that doesn't seem like it works... Even though "TheWANShow": false, and is set just above the "subscriptions" array as well, it still downloads... EDIT: Just saw on your Discord that this is a known bug! Nevermind :D

In addition, there was an error when doing the install.bat on Win10 with a powershell window (attachment). Not sure what it is but ERR_INVALID_CALLBACK(); sounds bad!

1234.png

• 3 weeks later...

Version 4.6.1 - Youtube Rewrite, Fixes & New Features (GitHub)

Release 4.6.1.zip

Install.zip

Update.zip

Hey everyone! Sorry for taking a while to get this update out. ❤️

This is a massive update with a lot of changes and fixes that have been backlogged for some time.
A quick summary of what has changed is:

New Features

• Settings file structure has been overhauled to be easier to read and edit.
  • Option to start episode count at 1 - Thanks @Mochaka
  • .nfo metadata, for easier metadata importing - Thanks @Mochaka
  • Video description and date of publishing will now be encoded into files for plex to read.
  • Youtube downloads for WAN now support only downloading audio/video and full quality downloads instead of just 720p. More details are in the changelog, the entire youtube downloader was rewritten.

Fixes/Improvements

• Support for TalkLinked as its own channel/show
  • Fixed TheWanShow always downloading irrespective of the setting
  • Fixed TechQuickie matching and colouring
  • Fixed maxParallelDownloads not actually changing the queue size
  • Fixes for existing video detection to better handle some edge cases
  • Partial download info is no longer stored in partial.json and is based on existing file sizes cutting down on overhead and other issues.
  • Stopped script from auto restarting while a file is still being downloaded.

Changelog

v4.6.1

• Seperated TalkLinked into its own channel
  • Option to start episode count at 1 - Thanks @Mochaka
  • Fixed issue with episode spacing
  • Added colour for TalkLinked formatting

v4.6.0

• Added videos.json recovery to avoid having to redownload on corruption
  • Fixed maxParallelDownloads not properly affecting queue size
  • Fixed TechQuickie not properly matching/colouring
  • Fixed logging for upcoming downloads - queued, queued resume, resuming download and downloading
  • Fixed printlines being too long when using queueing downloads
  • Fixed issues with Nfo data
  • Added metadata tagging for description and year for plex support
  • Fixed partial downloads not saving data correctly
  • Fixed partial videos not having a file property set
  • Fixed partial transfer info not being properly set in a request in new download logic
  • Changed partial data to be based off the file itself rather than saving progress, goodbye partial.json
  • Stopped script from auto restarting while a file is still being downloaded.
  • Rewrote youtube download functions
  • Added settings TheWANShow, TheWANShow.enabled, TheWANShow.downloadThreads,
    TheWanShow.downloadArtwork
    TheWANShow.video.quality, TheWANShow.video.saveSeperately,
    TheWANShow.audio.quality, TheWANShow.audio.saveSeperately,
    TheWANShow.combineAndSaveAudioVideo
  • Fixed issue with error handling

v4.5.1

• Updated package dependencies and removed outdated ones
  • Added .nfo metadata, for easier metadata importing - Thanks @Mochaka
  • Added setting saveNfo - Thanks @Mochaka
  • Write the videos.json file more frequently to properly capture data changes - Thanks @Mochaka
  • Fixes for existing file detection - Thanks @Mochaka
  • Fix WanShow being downloaded even if TheWanShow is set to false in settings - Thanks @Mochaka
  • Organised settings.json to be slightly easier to read

Install Guide

If your updating then just download the Update.zip extract it to your install folder and run it. It will automagically update all the needed files and move your settings over.I suggest double checking that everything is correctly updated in the settings.json though it should move your old settings over properly.

For people who are doing a fresh install just follow the below guides:

As always if you run into any issues you are free to

Create a issue here,

Join the Discord Server! https://discord.gg/aNTyMME

Leave a comment on the LTT form post

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

• 3 months later...

Version 4.6.3 - Fixes & Patch for new OG Subscription (GitHub)

Release 4.6.3.zip

Install.zip

Update.zip

Hia, This ones just a small update with some fixes and a patch to add support for SubChannel formatting for the new LTT Supporter (OG) subscription.

Changelog

v4.6.3

• Fix for queue and live counts never hitting 0 stopping script from restarting automatically
  • Added support for new LTT Supporter (OG) subscription.

v4.6.2

• Fix for episode count when using season/year based folder formatting

Install Guide

If your updating then just download the Update.zip extract it to your install folder and run it. It will automagically update all the needed files and move your settings over.I suggest double checking that everything is correctly updated in the settings.json though it should move your old settings over properly.

For people who are doing a fresh install just follow the below guides:

As always if you run into any issues you are free to

Create a issue here,

Join the Discord Server! https://discord.gg/aNTyMME

Leave a comment on the LTT form post

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. How it looks for freenas plex? Still better is to setup on pc and direct script to NAS folder? 

12 hours ago, WooZ_Lv said:

Hi. How it looks for freenas plex? Still better is to setup on pc and direct script to NAS folder? 

Either will work fine.

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 1 month later...

NEWB question, but is this only applicable to windows 10/server based Plex installs? I'm running Plex from my FreeNas box and would love to be able to do this. 

EDIT: More so looking for a guide/method on how to do this from the Plex server itself if possible. 

2 hours ago, Camofelix said:

NEWB question, but is this only applicable to windows 10/server based Plex installs? I'm running Plex from my FreeNas box and would love to be able to do this. 

EDIT: More so looking for a guide/method on how to do this from the Plex server itself if possible. 

I can’t help with a guide, although the documentation is fairly straightforward to follow but thought I’d comment to try to help

It works with Plex installed locally or remote, so should be fine with Plex on FreeNAS, my script runs on a PC whilst my Plex is a docker running in Unraid. The script does the downloading, and after downloading it just tells Plex to refresh the library so it shows in Plex, so you still need to set up Plex accordingly to look in the correct location

2 minutes ago, jt999 said:

I can’t help with a guide, although the documentation is fairly straightforward to follow but thought I’d comment to try to help

It works with Plex installed locally or remote, so should be fine with Plex on FreeNAS, my script runs on a PC whilst my Plex is a docker running in Unraid. The script does the downloading, and after downloading it just tells Plex to refresh the library so it shows in Plex, so you still need to set up Plex accordingly to look in the correct location

Is there any way to run it from the system itself? I only have unix systems with me, and would prefer not to set up a whole other vm just to run the script. would it work as a cron job? 

17 minutes ago, Camofelix said:

Is there any way to run it from the system itself? I only have unix systems with me, and would prefer not to set up a whole other vm just to run the script. would it work as a cron job? 

I think it just needs node.js to run so it’s almost certainly possible, I’m unsure of FreeNAS limitations though

Just noticed that there's a new docker variant. Will try that and report back 

• 1 year later...

Version 5.0.0 - Complete Rewrite, Docker Support & More! (GitHub)

I'm Alive!

I cant believe its been 600 days 1.6 Years since the last stable update. A lot has happened and I hope everyone is doing well.
This release marks the first for v5 which is a full rewrite and restructure of the entire codebase from the ground up.

Thank you so much to everyone on our Discord who helped in beta testing and finding bugs.
Especially
@TheSamDickey laid the groundwork and did a lot for docker support.
@Hezkezl did endless bug testing in discord to help me get v5 really stable.

There are honestly too many changes to list here. Aside from the entire codebase being rewritten there are numerous new features, fixes and improvements small and big.

Some New Stuff

• Docker Support!
  • Proper support for downloading all videos off Floatplane.
  • Startup prompts for helping users setup their settings.
  • Notification based download triggering.

If you want to see all the commits/changes that have gone into this update you can take a look Here

This release is not backwards compatible with any of the previous downloaders configs, files or downloaded videos.

Unfortunately you will have to run as a fresh install.

You can read more on Setup/Plex/Settings on the main README.md and Wiki.md files.

Install Guide

1. Download the latest stable binary for your OS below.
    Looking for Docker? Go check out the image and install instructions Here!

2. Run the binary and follow the setup prompts.

3. Profit?!
    At this point you should be completely set-up and ready to go!

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 2 months later...

Version 5.1.0 - Updates, Tweaks and Improvements (GitHub)

Hi Everyone,

This is release 5.1.0 of FPD.

Thank you so much to everyone on our Discord who helped in beta testing and finding bugs.
For a full list of changes in this version you can look at the issues/pull requests and commits.

An especially big thanks to those who helped with development:
@peskdale

@bengennaria

@TheSamDickey

@Fma965

@Hezkezl

• Helped with bug finding and testing along with others in the discord. ❤️

@vodkapmp

& Everyone else who created issues or found bugs!

New Episode Formatting

As you can see from above, episode formatting now supports and defaults to using a date based format, this allows for downloading episodes prior to the first you start downloading and better overall less complexity, bugs and better support with how episodes are handled.

The old way using a incrementing episode number is still supported and currently there are no plans to remove support.
However it's recommended that you use the new method going forward.

To switch to it does require re-downloading videos after changing the formatting and deleting your db/channels, db/subscriptions and videos folders.

If you do not wish to redownload episodes then feel free to keep using the old method.

Docker

Go check out the image and install instructions Here!

Update Guide

2. Replace your existing one.

3. Cry in the corner as your mind is slowly consumed

4. You're done! Continue as usual.

As this release is the first since 5.0.0 some issues may occur when you update. If you do get any please ping me on the discord and/or create a issue here.

Install Guide

3. Profit?!

You can read more on Setup/Plex/Settings on the main README.md and Wiki.md files.

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 3 months later...

Version 5.2.0 - Fixes & New Features (GitHub)

Hi Everyone,

This is release 5.2.0 of FPD.

Thank you so much to everyone on our Discord and on GitHub who helped in beta testing, finding bugs, requesting features etc.

For a full list of changes in this version you can look at the 5.2.0 Project Board and commits...

Notable Changes

New Features

• #56 Ability to automatically delete old videos.
  • #54 Support for multi part videos.

Fixes

• #88 NFO metadata not reflecting new episode numbering
  • #101 Reverted to polling from broken floatplane api notifications.
  • #82, #100 ffmpeg issues in docker containers.

Docker

Update Guide

As this release is the first since 5.0.0 some issues may occur when you update. If you do get any please ping me on the discord and/or create a issue here.

Install Guide

3. Profit?!

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 1 month later...

Can someone post on how to install the docker version on unRAID?  There is absolutely no instruction on how to install the docker.  when I click the link install instructions sends me to the docker hub and for the instructions got to the wiki and the linked wiki has only how to set it up after the install is done.

I have tried manually installing the docker using the repo listed but just get an error.

• 1 month later...

Can someone please help with getting the docker installed.  There is no instructions for the actual install and my last post asking for help was over a month ago.

16 hours ago, sgibbers17 said:

Can someone please help with getting the docker installed.  There is no instructions for the actual install and my last post asking for help was over a month ago.

Hey, sorry I never got a notification on your previous message. Can you hop in the discord there are people on there who have set it up on docker for unRAID

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 2 months later...

Version 5.3.0 - Fixes (GitHub)

Hi Everyone,

This is release 5.3.0 of FPD.

Thanks to everyone on our Discord and on GitHub who helped in beta testing, finding bugs, requesting features etc.

For a full list of changes in this version you can look at the 5.3.0 Project Board or the commits at the bottom of this update.

Notable Changes

Breaking Changes

• #103 Updated daysToKeepVideos to track video age rather than check file age, this means that upon updating any videos you previously downloaded will never be considered for deletion, but videos downloaded after updating will.

Fixes

• #109 Fix an issue with FPD ignoring video fetch limits.
  • #102 Hopefully fix text glitching when downloading a large number of videos once and for all.
  • #105 Updates to default matching for subchannels
  • #104 Added a restart policy to the default setup on the docker wiki to allow for automatic recovery from unrecoverable errors.
  • 8e84346 Disabled partial video downloads/download resumption as floatplanes download servers have been inconsistent on supporting it.

Docker

Update Guide

Install Guide

3. Profit?!

Commits

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 3 months later...

Version 5.4.0 - Fixes (GitHub)

Hia!

This is release 5.4.0 of FPD.

Thanks to everyone on our Discord and on GitHub who helped in beta testing, finding bugs, requesting features etc.

Notable Changes

For info on all settings please refer to the Settings Wiki

Fixes

• 3045923: Fixed quality fallback selecting lowest quality instead of highest

New Settings

• 4e4b03a: Added forceFullSearch setting which forces the downloader to search videosToSearch number of videos regardless of what has been downloaded. Note: Will not result in downloaded videos being re-downloaded.
  • d2e67d0, 352e11b, 4165380 & 3c72c21 Added advanced environment variable support for more advanced ways to set settings.
    For more info see the Advanced Env Setup Wiki

Docker

Update Guide

Install Guide

3. Profit?!

Commits

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 2 months later...

Version 5.5.0 - Arm Support, Updates & New Features (GitHub)

Helloo Everyone!

This is release 5.5.0 of FPD.

Notable Changes

• 388d262, 474fd61: #122 Thanks @jozefbonnar - ARM Support! While you could previously easily clone and run this project on ARM there was no docker image. Now all release docker builds will have arm support.
  • b654ea5, 3e23b2b: Migrated this package and some of its dependencies to ESM! This likely won't have any noticeable impact on the user end.
  • 911ee54: Removed episodeNumber. From now on episodeNumber is no longer supported and has been completely removed.
  • e9b67a7: #124 Thanks @Dragonlord1005 - Added artwork embedding for ffmpeg muxing. From now on when muxing video metadata with ffmpeg if the video's artwork is downloaded (it is by default) it will be embedded in the video.

Fixes

New Settings

• 0670f07: Added considerAllNonPartialDownloaded setting which will skip size checks for non .mp4 files helping for recovery without redownloading if your db is lost.

Docker

Update Guide

Install Guide

3. Profit?!

Commits

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 1 month later...

Version 5.6.0 - Critical Floatplane Compatibility & Bug Fixes (GitHub)

Hia!

This is release 5.6.0 of FPD.

Notable Fixes

• 95e9b11: Updated video cdn fetching for floatplane api changes @Inrixia - Thanks @rpungello, @VioletLovesJasmine and everyone else who reported this. Floatplane changed their api breaking previous releases this fixes that
  • 8733b61: Change download edge selection to be round robin and only select from download enabled edges @Inrixia - This should improve download stability and paves the way for re-enabling download resume support which will be released on the dev build soon and included in the next release.
  • c944027: Fixed plex scanning regardless of if there were new videos @Inrixia - Thanks @mattkdoggie for identifying this, plex was being told to refresh libraries every 5min regardless of if new videos were downloaded.
  • 762a31e, ccbe35d, c3046f8 - Some default subchannel definitions have changed or gotten additional matchers, this might affect channel sorting for some people.

Special thanks to everyone who opened issues and @AltriusRS and @AvMavs who helped with PR's.

Docker

Update Guide

Install Guide

3. Profit?!

Commits

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 4 months later...

Version 5.7.0 - Fixes, Features & Channels! (GitHub)

Hello everyone!

This is release 5.7.0 of FPD.
We now have a unraid template!

As of this release the floatplane download servers are still down, you will need to wait for https://status.floatplane.com/ to show Downloads as being Operational before downloading videos can resume

You can still setup the downloader in the mean time. It's expected this will be restored in the next few days from this release.

Breaking Changes!

With most releases there are no breaking changes, you can just update and continue as usual. This update however contains some key config format changes that will not allow you to use the same settings.json going forward, mainly due to switching to using the new floatplane subscription channel's etc.

To update please backup or rename your settings.json and go through the setup process again.

After doing so its easy to edit your settings.json to be in line with your previous.

Notable Changes

• 3d6725d & a1a498f: Removed downloadThreads, retries, downloadEdge & channelAliases settings. With Floatplane API changes coming/implemented these settings either have no effect or cause issues if not set to specific values.
  • 3a9d44f: Switched to using new the beta.floatplane.com subscription channels. Non Floatplane channels Talklinked, TechLinked Shorts, The WAN Show & LMG Livestream VOD's have been kept.

New Features/Settings

• b55ae2d: Added the ability to filter/match videos to channels using runtimeLessThan/runtimeGreaterThan identifier types. This lets you easily use a "skip" channel to avoid downloading say all videos over/under a certain runtime. Thanks @vodkapmp for the suggestion #135
  • a981923: Added some more robust download recovery thanks to #137 from @Jdbaii
  • 1dcded9: Added new seekAndDestroy functionality allowing you to download specific videos by specifying their post ids in settings.json #140 thanks @DasherPack
  • a34b513 & 4de6682: Added extras.promptVideos setting allowing for selection of which videos to download in the console (non headless) #143 thanks @TakenMC

Special thanks to @rpungello & @Rokton for your PR's!

Docker

Update Guide

3. Rename your settings.json to settings.json.old and run through the setup again to use the new config format.

4. Cry in the corner as your mind is slowly consumed

5. You're done! Continue as usual.

Install Guide

3. Profit?!

Commits

•  

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 5 weeks later...

Version 5.8.0 - Fixes, Features & Channels! (GitHub)

Heyoo!

This is release 5.8.0 of FPD.

Especially thanks to @orthanc42, @Fma965 & @mattkdoggie who helped with development with PR's

Notable Changes

New Features/Settings

• e1279a0, d77fe76, a2ceb72 Identifiers releasedBefore and releasedAfter now exist. This allows downloading videos before or after the specified date/time. Thanks @mattkdoggie for the PR! #168

Other than that nothing Major this release version, mainly fixes for things like like #169 which are important to get out.

Update Guide

1. Download the latest stable binary for your OS/pull the latest image below.
  2. Cry in the corner as your mind is slowly consumed
  3. You're done! Continue as usual.

Install Guide

Looking for Unraid? Go install it using the unraid template! unraid template!
  3. Profit?!

Commits

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

• 2 months later...

Version 5.9.0 - Async Yield & Fixes (GitHub)

*Going forward I am only going to post the link to the GitHub release as formatting everything a 2nd time here is just a pain.

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~