Freesync / G-sync

ElusiumClearley

So can anyone help me with FreeSync and G-Sync, because i cannot understand it at all...So if i have a normal monitor and i run a game to arround 200 FPS i will have screen stutters or what? Please help

Take your normal monitor, turn off vsync, and play a game in fullscreen. You'll see screen tearing

Turn on Vsync. You won't have screen tearing, but you'll see your framerate drop all the way to 30 whenever it goes below 60

With Freesync / Gsync, you get the full framerate, plus no screen tearing

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

So now i cant get a GTX 1060 because the cheapest G-Sync monitor costs arround 400$ and i will have to go with RX 580, right ?

Simply put, g sync and freesync vary the refresh rate of the monitor to match that of the graphics card.

It's a simple concept, but to realize why this is even something significant and understand why people go crazy about it takes some diving into what the problems created by a fixed refresh rate and varying frame rate are.

This article does a decent job of explaining the problems (namely screen tearing or stuttering, you normally get tearing, if you turn on v sync tearing goes away but you get stuttering)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Basically, the main issue you get is tearing. Let's say you have a 100 hz monitor but your GPU is only outputting 75 fps. When the monitor goes through its first refresh cycle, the GPU will only be partially finished rendering the next frame. The monitor will still display the part of the next frame already rendered, though. So what you end up with is part of the screen displaying the previous frame and part of the screen displaying the next frame, which will look something like this:

n1239910191-image001.jpg

As you can see, there is a clear "cut" in the middle of the screen that marks the border between the two frames displayed. This can be really distracting and I pretty much can't stand it, so I play with v sync on.

V sync is basically the solution to screen tearing that works anywhere. Basically, v sync waits until the frame is fully rendered before sending it off to the monitor. So if you have the previous 100 hz monitor 75 fps situation, but you had v sync on, when the monitor does its refresh and the gpu has only finished rendering half of the frame the monitor will instead output the last fully rendered frame.

This fixes screen tearing since the monitor only displays the last fully rendered frame. However, what you end up with is more input latency and stuttering. If you think about it, this means that if you have a 100 hz monitor, whenever the GPU isn't finished rendering the next frame in time the monitor is basically pausing the picture, which causes stutter. This can become really annoying.

Now that you've understood the issues that having a different refresh rate and frame rate causes, it makes sense why freesync and g sync are so nice. The monitor refresh rate is now synchronized to the frame rate, which gets rid of all of the above issues.

1 hour ago, thejackalope said:

Do G-Sync and Freesync add input lag?

I believe they add some input lag, but it's not that much. Nowhere near the amount v sync adds.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, thejackalope said:

Do G-Sync and Freesync add input lag?

With FreeSync you get minimal input lag as monitor needs to decode signal going through DisplayPort before displaying. With Gsync its a bit better because its dedicated chip. I dont know more details but I never heard of it impacting anyone negatively. Probably its not noticible to 99% of ppl.

39 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Simply put, g sync and freesync vary the refresh rate of the monitor to match that of the graphics card.

It's a simple concept, but to realize why this is even something significant and understand why people go crazy about it takes some diving into what the problems created by a fixed refresh rate and varying frame rate are.

This article does a decent job of explaining the problems (namely screen tearing or stuttering, you normally get tearing, if you turn on v sync tearing goes away but you get stuttering)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Basically, the main issue you get is tearing. Let's say you have a 100 hz monitor but your GPU is only outputting 75 fps. When the monitor goes through its first refresh cycle, the GPU will only be partially finished rendering the next frame. The monitor will still display the part of the next frame already rendered, though. So what you end up with is part of the screen displaying the previous frame and part of the screen displaying the next frame, which will look something like this:

n1239910191-image001.jpg

As you can see, there is a clear "cut" in the middle of the screen that marks the border between the two frames displayed. This can be really distracting and I pretty much can't stand it, so I play with v sync on.

V sync is basically the solution to screen tearing that works anywhere. Basically, v sync waits until the frame is fully rendered before sending it off to the monitor. So if you have the previous 100 hz monitor 75 fps situation, but you had v sync on, when the monitor does its refresh and the gpu has only finished rendering half of the frame the monitor will instead output the last fully rendered frame.

This fixes screen tearing since the monitor only displays the last fully rendered frame. However, what you end up with is more input latency and stuttering. If you think about it, this means that if you have a 100 hz monitor, whenever the GPU isn't finished rendering the next frame in time the monitor is basically pausing the picture, which causes stutter. This can become really annoying.

Now that you've understood the issues that having a different refresh rate and frame rate causes, it makes sense why freesync and g sync are so nice. The monitor refresh rate is now synchronized to the frame rate, which gets rid of all of the above issues.

I believe they add some input lag, but it's not that much. Nowhere near the amount v sync adds.

Yep I know about vsync and screen tearing. 

But with G-Sync and Freesync aren't you also having to wait for a frame to render before displaying it? 

4 hours ago, thejackalope said:

Yep I know about vsync and screen tearing. 

But with G-Sync and Freesync aren't you also having to wait for a frame to render before displaying it? 

Yes.

But the thing is, with v sync, once that frame is rendered, you have to wait until the next monitor refresh before it gets displayed. With g sync and freesync, it's displayed immediately.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb