Quick Question

I have built Intel systems in the past. My quick question is, if I am building my first AMD system, will I encounter any significant difference between the process and/or difficulty of the build? Will I follow the same general steps and install the OS in the same way? Will the system run just like an Intel system would? Basic questions. Obviously at their core (haha get it because AMD has more multicore) they're very different. I just mean as far as using the system on a day to day basis and the actual build process.

Not really. Memory used to be tricky. Not so much anymore.

3 minutes ago, ColeFemo said:

I assume a ryzen build? What's the parts list?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 hours ago, ColeFemo said:

I have built Intel systems in the past. My quick question is, if I am building my first AMD system, will I encounter any significant difference between the process and/or difficulty of the build? Will I follow the same general steps and install the OS in the same way? Will the system run just like an Intel system would? Basic questions. Obviously at their core (haha get it because AMD has more multicore) they're very different. I just mean as far as using the system on a day to day basis and the actual build process.

Don't forget the AM sockets are PGAs and as such zero insertion force. If it doesn't drop right in DONT force it. 

8 hours ago, ColeFemo said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBPf3F

There's the parts list. If you have any suggestions let me know. It's for graphic design and video editing.

I would swap to a r7 1700 and just OC the rest of the way myself.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, ColeFemo said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBPf3F

There's the parts list. If you have any suggestions let me know. It's for graphic design and video editing.

Are you doing 4k or above video editing? If not 16gbs of RAM is plenty

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I would swap to a r7 1700 and just OC the rest of the way myself.

Do you think I could go with 16GB of RAM and be happy with it? (Could always upgrade later)

8 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Are you doing 4k or above video editing? If not 16gbs of RAM is plenty

Yeah I was planning to lower it to 16GB. 32 seemed a bit overkill.

Just now, ColeFemo said:

Do you think I could go with 16GB of RAM and be happy with it? (Could always upgrade later)

I use 16GB of ram and have no need for any more than that. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, ColeFemo said:

I fixed basically everything lol

The motherboards between $75-150 ish all kind of suck for AM4, so it's either go big or don't bother for me at least.

Don't buy used hard drives like the 3TB one you had I think, given that it was from the newegg market place

Buy a case with airflow

Upgraded the display to 4k 60hz IPS because why not for graphic design, upgraded the GPU to Vega 56, which needs tuning to run games at 4k, you could also get an RX 580 for about $100 something less and just run games at 1080p full screen with perfect scaling

plus the display has free-sync

Do not buy a $300 1060, that's just silly

Could buy an AIO later, maybe get a better 4TB drive, but really they get super expensive past that one. Just keep a proper back up of your important data somewhere.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dXyFzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dXyFzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($284.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($105.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Video Card  ($434.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1755.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-13 13:34 EST-0500

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I fixed basically everything lol

The motherboards between $75-150 ish all kind of suck for AM4, so it's either go big or don't bother for me at least.

Don't buy used hard drives like the 3TB one you had I think, given that it was from the newegg market place

Buy a case with airflow

Upgraded the display to 4k 60hz IPS because why not for graphic design, upgraded the GPU to Vega 56, which needs tuning to run games at 4k, you could also get an RX 580 for about $100 something less and just run games at 1080p full screen with perfect scaling

plus the display has free-sync

Do not buy a $300 1060, that's just silly

Could buy an AIO later, maybe get a better 4TB drive, but really they get super expensive past that one. Just keep a proper back up of your important data somewhere.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dXyFzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dXyFzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($284.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($105.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Video Card  ($434.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1755.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-13 13:34 EST-0500

If you are going for an SD from Western Digital, I reccommend you to switch to the WD Blue 3D NAND SSD (its 15% faster, made on a new technology, its more reliable than 2D NAND WD Blue SSDs, and cpnsumes 25% less power) or go for the WD Black M.2 NVMe PCIe SSDs, they are also 3D NAND, but since they are NVMe PCIe, they are 4X faster, and the 256GB version is only $15 USD more expensive. You`ll love it. I have it.

46 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

I mean once you're at a certain point with a decent Sata SSD, faster things aren't going to be as noticeable. I have a WD Black M.2 but that's for 4k gameplay recording.

What's the newer WD Blue models?

Spoiler

21 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I mean once you're at a certain point with a decent Sata SSD, faster things aren't going to be as noticeable. I have a WD Black M.2 but that's for 4k gameplay recording.

What's the newer WD Blue models?

3D NAND, way more reliable, smaller manufacturing process, 15% faster and 25% less power draw, also they last longer. I also have a WD Black M.2 SSD (256GB)