Desktop for Photoshop and Premiere Work

Currency: USD

Budget: $1800 (But the cheaper the better by far)

Parts Needed: Everything. Building from scratch.

Aim: I am building this system for my mother to use photoshop and premiere pro as well as audio editing software. No gaming capabilities needed whatsoever. It just needs to run photoshop and premiere flawlessly. I have built pcs before so I really just need a parts list. Any and all other advice is welcome.

I would like her to be able to use this PC for years to come, so please don't suggest outdated components for price's sake.

She's been a iMac user for years. Hers recently flat-out died, so they were trying to give her a "Deal" on this upgrade.

From an iMac Desktop, to a 13 inch macbook pro with a 2.6 GHz i5 boosted to 3.6 GHz, integrated graphics (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640), 16 GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM, and 128 GB SSD storage FOR $1768.00!

I immediately told her this was an absolute rip-off and asked her to let me build her a PC. I may be wrong, but this price seemed ridiculous.

Monitor: Only one. The best you can possibly get her while remaining within budget, but 1080p minimum of course. PC internals take priority.

Cooling: Liquid cooling would be great if possible within budget, (for silence's sake). If you think this is unnecessary and ridiculous, let me know, I just love how silent my rig is, and I know she would notice fans running with how silent her previous iMac was.

NO RGB LIGHTING REQUIRED OR WANTED... obviously.

Peripherals: Mouse and keyboard needed. (Keyboard as similar to an iMac keyboard as possible)

Also need a case. Nothing super pretty, but I mean hey, if it is she would be happy.

OS: Please include a Windows 10 USB in the price. Home edition.

Feel free to leave any and all comments about my decisions here and your advice. This is fairly urgent because she needs it for her work. Thank you for all of your help!

Sorry I couldn't really down the price https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ysb2HN

I choose the mouse because I have it and the macros are amazing for editing

I really wanted to squeeze in the IPS 1440p monitor

If you want you can edit the part list.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I like the build; a b350 board could get the price down since your not using SLI or crossfire. He also said he didn't want RGB so RAM price could go down.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

Just now, AMDPRO said:

I like the build, a b350 board could get the price down since your not using sli or crossfire

yeah you could do that but thanks:D

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I would drop the water cooler and put a Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 and a b350 mobo

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

Just now, greeatzy said:

I would drop the water cooler and put a Be Quiet dark rock pro 3 and a b350 mobo

I wanted to do that but he said he would perfer water so I was like OK sure yeah I think I'll switch it to a B350

yeah here is some edits

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dzK7zM

6 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

yeah here is some edits

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dzK7zM

Yup that should do it.

Aslo maybe just swap out the G.Skill Trident Z RGB for G.Skill  Ripjaws V Series  if he doesn't want rgb on ram

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

1 minute ago, greeatzy said:

Yup that should do it.

Aslo maybe just swap out the G.Skill Trident Z RGB for G.Skill  Ripjaws V Series  if he doesn't want rgb on ram

if he wants do that thats his thing. his mom not my mom lol :D

42 minutes ago, ColeFemo said:

NO RGB LIGHTING REQUIRED OR WANTED... obviously.

oh shit I'll fix

Ok I think finally have it down.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBPf3F

5 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Ok I think finally have it down.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBPf3F

First of all, thanks for all of the help! I think I may start her off with 16 GB of RAM, and if she notices any trouble, upgrade her to 32 GB (for price's sake).

8 minutes ago, ColeFemo said:

First of all, thanks for all of the help! I think I may start her off with 16 GB of RAM, and if she notices any trouble, upgrade her to 32 GB (for price's sake).

yeah ok thats cool 

45 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

I like the build; a b350 board could get the price down since your not using SLI or crossfire. He also said he didn't want RGB so RAM price could go down.

Dumb idea.

B350 + 1700X + AIO = burned house and dead kittens

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Just now, dave_k said:

Dumb idea.

B350 + 1700X + AIO = burned house and dead kittens

What would you suggest?

1 minute ago, ColeFemo said:

What would you suggest?

Prime X370 Pro/ X370 SLI Plus/ ASRock X370 Gaming X

Prime is the best but the others are acceptable.

Just now, dave_k said:

Prime X370 Pro/ X370 SLI Plus/ ASRock X370 Gaming X

Prime is the best but the others are acceptable.

For what I need, would you be willing to create a PC build and link it to me?

8 minutes ago, ColeFemo said:

For what I need, would you be willing to create a PC build and link it to me?

Here. The previous lists were missing PSU (dont know if it was intentional). I changed the GPU for a cheaper 1060 since you don't need Strix when you're not going for looks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hx9KYr

I don't guarantee the mobo, it is one of the cheapest capable of running R7 under 100°C with most OC scenarios

Consider an Intel build. Particularly if Photoshop is the primary software. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2017-1-1-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1057/ and https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1047/ provide some good data for comparison.

Below is a part list. It deserves some explanation. I elected a mini-ITX build for its small footprint. The motherboard has a Thunderbolt port to support such peripherals. Only 16GB of memory, with room to add another 16GB.

Storage is a 1TB ssd. While a bit of a luxury, having a single fast store simplifies the user environment. Should more storage be necessary, the case has room for an additional two 3.5" hdd.

A decent, if not spectacular 27" monitor and standard wireless keyboard and mouse round out the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($26.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($175.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($270.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: BitFenix - Portal (White) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit  ($112.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: BenQ - GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($249.00 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Microsoft - Desktop 3050 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($42.19 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1874.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-13 14:28 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.