what CPU water block fin design is better?

Well you were whiling to trust china ebay parts for cooling but not a used aio? If you are getting this later how it is part of the budget? Could just get a nice air cooler and out perform anything in your budget for watercooling.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I am only trusting parts with 5 star reviews, and when the pump dies on the AIO in like a year I will have to replace the entire AIO instead of a ~35 part. I also want to be able to OC the i5 8600k to ~5GHz without any thought of over heating.

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well you were whiling to trust china ebay parts for cooling but not a used aio? If you are getting this later how it is part of the budget? Could just get a nice air cooler and out perform anything in your budget for watercooling.

Also, I've never done this before, and I want to give it a shot/

Well an aio will last for years without issue. And still, a fancy air cooler that will perform better and regardless of the temp oc's wont be guaranteed.

I assume the parts picked are barbed? Aside from the cpu block. Get decent clamps then or thinner walled hose if you use zip ties.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

23 minutes ago, Plumpekin said:

Also, I've never done this before, and I want to give it a shot/

As many have suggested your best option would be to get a good quality AIO unit over a cheap watercooling loop. 

3 hours ago, Plumpekin said:

Non, I'm building a PC for around $1000 CAD and I was going to get a cheap 240 AIO for overclocking the i5 8600k, but all the ones for under $150 CAD had reviews of either the fans are bad, the pump failed within a few months, it leaked etc, so I decided to try and make my own loop for under $200 CAD, Here is my lost so far every thing on it had 5 stars on amazon.

pump/res (150ml) - $48

240mm radiator - $37

CPU block - $~85

all I need is tubing.. right?

do you have any suggestions for low cost but decent soft tubing?

Damascus to the rescue, I happen to be selling a DDC pumpres, a bunch of fittings and my fave type of tubing.  Also, check out dazmode.com

Radiators

• EK SE 240 (smallest on them market)
  • EK PE 360 (among the best in 45mm class)

Pumps

• 1 DDC v3.5
  • 1 D5 vario (willing to let the DDC go cheap)

Reservoirs

• dual DDC 5.25" bayres w/ pump mount
  • D5 5.25" bayres w/pump mount
  • D5 pupmtop

Blocks

• MSI branded EK FC block for the 1070/1080 Gaming X PCB (also used on the armor cards)

Fittings

• 4 bitspower 3/8, 5/8 90 degree adapter (black)
  • 4 bitspower 3/8, 5/8 45 degree adapter (black)
  • 2 bitspower 3/8, 5/8 (black)
  • 2 1/2" barb

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

@Plumpekin I’ll pass you the pump res for $60, then you can get one of those cheap 5 star copper cpu blocks, a copper radiator from dazmode ($60) 8 of the fittings I linked ($35) and a few feet of EK ZMT tubing.

all together a higher quality build that is way less likely to leak

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious