Discussion for: Alienware Alpha r2/r3

Go to solution Solved by Damascus,
2 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

three GTX 690s (all x16)

three USB 3.0 cards (all x4 or x1)

two GTX 1050 ti low profile cards (all x16)

and one sfp+ 10gbe nic (either x1 or x4)

Also, would the motherboard and the system in general be smart enough to manage bandwidth for all pci-e devices to prevent conflicts?

Nope, you’ll need more than 1 x16 slot

I am planning to make a purchasing decision on the alienware alpha (R2 or R3) based upon these variables:

1. Can I deactivate CPU cores in the BIOS options?

2. Can the motherboard itself support virtualization?

That's all I need to know.

Why do I want to manually deactivate cpu cores?

Answer: so that I can assign 8 cores to the host os (ubuntu) and assign 8 cores to the windows vm w/ PCI-E passthrough to the alienware graphics amplifier (eGPU).

Why do I want a Vm?

Answer:  So that I can use the linux os to be my:  DNS server, Plex server, Gamestream server (thats IF it supports virtualization) and to be my daily driver computer.  Compact and mobile.

Please let me know. :)

Just get a 1700 on an x370i in an Ncase m1 + GPUs of your choice.  Similar size, better thermals, better performance and likely cheaper

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

Just get a 1700 on an x370i in an Ncase m1 + GPUs of your choice.  Similar size, better thermals, better performance and likely cheaper

Perhaps!   Perhaps so my fellow friend!  

However, do most motherboards give you the option to disable physical cores BEFORE booting the computer's OS?

Perhaps!   Perhaps so my fellow friend!  

However, do most motherboards give you the option to disable physical cores BEFORE booting the computer's OS?

M8, my EVGA p55 Mobo from 2010, both of my gigabyte z170 mobos, even my freaking biostar x370 can all disable cores from bios.  Not exactly rare lol

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

M8, my EVGA p55 Mobo from 2010, both of my gigabyte z170 mobos, even my freaking biostar x370 can all disable cores from bios.  Not exactly rare lol

o.O    I.. didn't know that.

I wasn't able to find that option my laptop. (perhaps it's only available on desktop motherboards?)

Also, do you work for Linus?  How's it like to work for a cool guy like him?

4 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Also, do you work for Linus?  How's it like to work for a cool guy like him?

Nope, though I imagine it would be interesting to say the least.

4 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

o.O    I.. didn't know that.

I wasn't able to find that option my laptop. (perhaps it's only available on desktop motherboards?)

Quite possible, those are all relatively mid to high end boards as well with lots of options

Just now, Damascus said:

Nope, though I imagine it would be interesting to say the least.

Quite possible, those are all relatively mid to high end boards as well with lots of options

first response:  What does it mean when you have that "LMG-Pilot" below your pseudonym? (By that I mean your alias or username. lol.)

Second response:  More than likely, plus on the new ryzen-based laptops would it even have core deactivation support on their motherboards?

8 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

first response:  What does it mean when you have that "LMG-Pilot" below your pseudonym? (By that I mean your alias or username. lol.)

Second response:  More than likely, plus on the new ryzen-based laptops would it even have core deactivation support on their motherboards?

I’m a floatplane member, meaning I see all their vids a week or more before they go up on YT. 30 bucks a year.

I would say yes, but situationally.  Enthusiast grade laptops like the airbus lineup or Clevo base laptops that use a desktop chip will likely be capable but I can’t garuntee it

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I’m a floatplane member, meaning I see all their vids a week or more before they go up on YT. 30 bucks a year.

Oh!  Wunderbar!  You lucky lil' weasel you!

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I would say yes, but situationally.  Enthusiast grade laptops like the airbus lineup or Clevo base laptops that use a desktop chip will likely be capable but I can’t garuntee it

Fair enough.    So, let me ask you:  I would like to ask if you can help me with a dilema I have for whether or not I have enough shared bandwidth on a single PCI-E x16 3.0 slot on my ASROCK x99e-itx/ac motherboard for 9 PCI-E cards.

I have (theoretically) 40 Lanes.  I don't know if that is only 4 lanes or an actual 40 lanes for all 9 of my PCI-E devices.

1 minute ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Fair enough.    So, let me ask you:  I would like to ask if you can help me with a dilema I have for whether or not I have enough shared bandwidth on a single PCI-E x16 3.0 slot on my ASROCK x99e-itx/ac motherboard for 9 PCI-E cards.

I have (theoretically) 40 Lanes.  I don't know if that is only 4 lanes or an actual 40 lanes for all 9 of my PCI-E devices.

If they share 1 x16 slot and all fun at x1 it will work

Just now, Damascus said:

If they share 1 x16 slot and all fun at x1 it will work

so would that still be considered a bottleneck if I were to specifically list these?

three GTX 690s (all x16)

Also, would the motherboard and the system in general be smart enough to manage bandwidth for all pci-e devices to prevent conflicts?

three GTX 690s (all x16)

Just now, Damascus said:

D:   well.... fuck.          

Welp, this screws up my project altogether entirely.

I was planning to build my own version of the alienware alpha where I have the expansion backplane hold 7 of the cards in a separate case being the external devices enclosure and where i have two gpus inside of the actual computer with the motherboard inside.

knowing that this will not work takes a massive dump all over my dream (don't worry, I'm not mad. Just sadz.)

But, it's good to know now before spending a lot of money. :)

This is what originally inspired me to do something like that.  --->