A Custom, 3D Printed Game Character Figurine?

I had this idea of taking a character from a game, like a custom made player character, and exporting it somewhere and having it actually 3D PRINTED, and have it set on my desk or something. However, for one, I don't know if this is possible. Second, aren't there copyright laws that prevent this from being done?

I hope this is possible, I'd kill to have Skyrim figures custom made!

Possible?  Yes.

I would imagine that this kind of stuff would fall under "fan art" when it comes to legalities.

Edit: actual game rips may be a little different when it comes to legalities.

Just a warning, 3D printers are not exactly suitable for figures yet.

They absolutely butcher any details you might have on the model.

On 11/9/2017 at 9:52 AM, LAwLz said:

It depends. With a larger scale, slow print speed, and small layer height (like < 0.1mm), you can get some pretty decent figurines out of them. And a well tuned printer ofc.

On 11/9/2017 at 6:52 AM, LAwLz said:

Not if you use an sla printer, sure fdm can be pretty bad for fine details, but stereolithography based 3d printer's give you quality that might as well be injection molded. Hero forge uses sla printers to make their figurines.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

It's very much possible, with limitations. Attached is a custom posed figure pulled from Chivalry 3D Printed on a DLP Resin 3D Printer (at tiny scale). I did a tutorial on it years back but the polygon count of in game files is very low, games hide this with bump maps and textures. You can't easily print your 'custom character' from skyrim because all the armour and details are defined in game, but printing the .nif assets is easy enough. Here's the more recent fallout 4 tute, will work with skyrim. 

DSC_0103 (Large).JPG