I'm stuck on a decision! Need Help!!

Go to solution Solved by Encrypt,

I would say get a better motherboard and a CPU. I doubt you'd be able to get good overclocks on your current motherboard, so get a decent overclockable motherboard and the i5-8600K. You will still need an AIO or good air cooler to overclock on it, but the i5 will give you ample performance until you can afford a better cooler.

Hi. I am debating with myself wether or not to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard or to get an aio. I currently have an i3-6300, 8gb ddr4 ram, gtx 1050ti and a gigabyte h110-s2h. I have two options. Option 1 is to upgrade to an i5-8600k and a new motherboard to overclock on. Option 2 is to get the cpu and an aio. I am wondering if you can help me. Thanks.

I would say get a better motherboard and a CPU. I doubt you'd be able to get good overclocks on your current motherboard, so get a decent overclockable motherboard and the i5-8600K. You will still need an AIO or good air cooler to overclock on it, but the i5 will give you ample performance until you can afford a better cooler.

Here is the types of overclock you can get on the new Coffee Lake CPU's

Get the CPU and motherboard, then you can enjoy your new CPU and motherboard until you've got enough money for a cooler.

A good enough cooler for that CPU will likely cost about £20-40 depending on what one you buy.

The issue here is that the i5 8600k probably throttles with the stock cooler (meaning you cant do option one) and there is no point buying an aio for a non overclockable cpu and motherboard.

8600k, sacrifice on the mobo price/buy used, get a dece 3rd party cooler.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

If you're going to go as far as replacing the mobo, cpu, etc., have you considered Ryzen?

Just now, coop152 said:

The issue here is that the i5 8600k probably throttles with the stock cooler (meaning you cant do option one) and there is no point buying an aio for a non overclockable cpu and motherboard.

Depending on what you will be doing, obviously you wouldn't overclock on a stock cooler. I doubt it would throttle with general use, gaming, and video editing. I think this is the best path for you, just wait until you can afford a better CPU cooler, once you have the new motherboard and CPU.

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

If you're going to go as far as replacing the mobo, cpu, etc., have you considered Ryzen?

I think it depends on his use case. 

1 minute ago, Encrypt said:

I think it depends on his use case. 

agree 100 percent.  no sense in replacing the mobo with something different if it doesn't fit.  first thing I did before upgrading/replacing mine was to measure the case dimensions to make sure the new board was a go.

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

agree 100 percent.  no sense in replacing the mobo with something different if it doesn't fit.  first thing I did before upgrading/replacing mine was to measure the case dimensions to make sure the new board was a go.

very punny

5 minutes ago, coop152 said:

very punny

huh??  Not trying to be punny, I have been approached by clients of mine that wanted to upgrade their system with equipment such as a new mobo/cpu but the case they had was no bigger than a shoe box.

5 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

huh??  Not trying to be punny, I have been approached by clients of mine that wanted to upgrade their system with equipment such as a new mobo/cpu but the case they had was no bigger than a shoe box.

Oh, thought you were making a "use case" pun. Because the decision between ryzen and intel is really more "is your use case gaming? pick intel. Do you do other things as well? Ryzen is often better value".

You should check the size of the motherboard though, OP, because your current mobo is micro-atx. make sure your case supports larger sizes, or buy an m-atx mobo

I have just looked at cpus and would a 7700k be better for the money than the 8600k? I've just checked on Amazon.