Paste temp difference? StarTech Metal Oxide Vs. Arctic MX4

Cotroneo
Go to solution Solved by phongle123,

Basically Thermal paste comes in 2 different types that you can get. You can't have both, but you can come pretty darn close and pick the best one.

1) Lowest Temperature

2) Highest Accuracy

1) You can get the best thermal paste/grease to lower your temperature. Meaning the grease needs to be of higher quality and can withstand and transfer heat faster.

2) Accuracy relates to the amount of discrepancies your temperature has.

For example:

1. Grease 1 (lowest temperature): 40C (low), bounces between 40C and 47C.
  2. Grease 2 (Highest Accuracy): 43C (low), bounces between 43C and 45C.

Hey! 

First off, 

I wasn't sure what category I should post this in (Here, or CPU) but since I'm using an air cooler, I figured here would be where I should post it. So if this is the wrong place, sorry about that.

Anyway:

I recently built my computer, and despite having what I think has great airflow and a good cooler, my 7700K still jumps to 70 degrees when just opening Chrome; it sits at 80 when playing even the least demanding of games! I know the 7700K is a hot CPU, but when I'm not even overclocking, it seems a bit drastic. 

My CPU is currently using StarTech Metal Oxide. I know absolutely nothing about compound other than how to apply it. :P 

So that's why I'm wondering if you guys could let me know what kind of temperature difference I should expect if I use MX4 Instead.

I already went out and bought MX4, so that's why it's specific in this comparison.

Thanks!

CPU: Intel i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz || GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3 || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (Dual Fan) || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) 3200MHZ || MotherboardAsus STRIX Z270-E GAMING || Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 Titanium (Windowless) || Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX300 1.1TB, Seagate- Barracuda 2TB || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

generally they only help for like 2C. you either didn't have enough paste to start off... mouted the cooler unevenly by accident. or you got fucked by intels manufacturing and the TMI is too thick

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Basically Thermal paste comes in 2 different types that you can get. You can't have both, but you can come pretty darn close and pick the best one.

1) Lowest Temperature

2) Highest Accuracy

1) You can get the best thermal paste/grease to lower your temperature. Meaning the grease needs to be of higher quality and can withstand and transfer heat faster.

For example:

7 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

1) Lowest Temperature

2) Highest Accuracy

For example:

Awesome info! I really meant it when I said I was clueless as to any of the properties of the different types of compunds, so what you just told me is a huge help. I have Nonverbal Learning Disability, which makes things a lot harder for me to process unless things are explained with examples. You should know just how much this kind of thing helps people, and that I genuinely do appreciate the information.

Anyway,

From what you've told me, and what I've been experiencing, it seems as though my current paste has insanely low accuracy. I honestly have thought that the sensors were faulty, but with your example, the margin of error seems pretty close to what I have.

Now that I know that, do you think that I should use the MX4? I know that Arctic paste is super trusted, so I'm pretty sure that it's fairly high quality. I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not I'd see an improvement in temps. I don't know if 5 degrees lower is possible just by switching compound, but that's what I'm really aiming for. I'm also considering swapping out my H5 Universal and picking up a D15, or an H100i. I just can't see 80 degrees being good for my CPU in the long-run when I don't intend on upgrading my comp (GPU maybe) for the next 5 years. :P

CPU: Intel i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz || GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3 || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (Dual Fan) || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) 3200MHZ || MotherboardAsus STRIX Z270-E GAMING || Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 Titanium (Windowless) || Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX300 1.1TB, Seagate- Barracuda 2TB || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

1 minute ago, Cotroneo said:

do you think that I should use the MX4

Thermal paste is one of the cheapest components of your build. Considering you already have it I don't see a reason why you shouldn't.

Your current one only has a thermal conductivity of 1.93 vs MX4's of 8.5. So MX4 will be much better.

Just now, phongle123 said:

Thermal paste is one of the cheapest components of your build.

If only I could say the same thing about Windows 10. :P

My uncle was setting up our servers for our business, so we had an extra tube of StarTech; I figured I might as well use that.

Because of how cheap paste is when compared to other components, I didn't know whether or not it made that much of a difference, but the MX4 having being 340% higher in conductivity is pretty nuts!

Also, thanks for going out of your way to look up the conductivity. I appreciate all the help you, and other members here give! :~}