Need advice merging partitions

m0k

My parents prebuilt PC came with a single 1TB HDD

however out of the box it had two partitions already setup on the HDD

I want to merge C and D by using "extend volume" but theres a Recovery Partition #5 in the way

Capture.PNG.bb78d1c58f694868f417db3a0182ce64.PNG

Photography / Finance / Gaming

The last partition looks like a factory restore partition, from the maker of comp.

Do you have a Window 10 CD that came with the system

If you want, you can do a clean install of window, delete all partition, make one partition, then install windows, but you will lose the factory restore.

The way it`s done is not a bad idea. Lot`s of space for video and music, and just enough for windows, and data will run faster that way.

What would be even better is you get a big enough SSD to move all of the partitions to except for the DATA partition to the SSD and leave the DATA partition on the Hard drive. Not only would the system boot really fast and application loading times would be faster, but now if the HDD goes bad, it won't effect the OS at all.

Before you start doing stuff. I would go to company site and see if I can get a factory restore disk or file for the system. 

That disk will have all the drivers and programs, that are specific to the PC you have. 

Just a suggestion 

Judging by the way the partitions were created, I'm assuming this is an ASUS OEM machine.

@r4tch3t I was hoping for a method that didnt involve a third party app

@Zmax i wanted a single partition because it would have made for easier backups - before i posted this screenshot i had all the downloads, music, videos and pictures folders mapped to the larger DATA partition but windows recently started giving me random errors saying "pictures" location not found etc.

@Nicktendo yes its an Asus M11BB pc

Photography / Finance / Gaming

There are lots of reasons to have data on a separate partition (or drive) from the OS, and as such I always recommend keeping it that way.

8 hours ago, mok said:

@r4tch3t I was hoping for a method that didnt involve a third party app

The best option i see , is a clean install of Windows 10, and deleting every thing,

Look in YouTube for how to do a clean install, You may have to go and find all the drivers.