Xeon PC Build?

So I was checking out the Intel Xeon X5690 and many seem to be going from around $120, and I was thinking, for the price would these work well as a gaming PC? Any thoughts out there?

In general yes, that be a pretty good gaming CPU aswell killer chip for production stuff at that price, but depends on your expectations.

If you do get it  just be aware that you are limiting yourself to a very old socket making it hard for future upgrades. You might also have problems getting a good cheap LGA1136 board.

The x5690 is terribly priced; if you can pick up a 1366 board a much cheaper x5670 (or even others) can overclock just as well. Without overclocking these Xeons aren't that great though. They also have much lower IPC than modern CPUs - one of these 6 cores at about 4.6 GHz is about as fast as a non overclocked Ryzen 1600 (and if the 1600 is overclocked these Xeons have no way of catching up). 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

1 hour ago, Ground said:

The x5690 is terribly priced; if you can pick up a 1366 board a much cheaper x5670 (or even others) can overclock just as well. Without overclocking these Xeons aren't that great though. They also have much lower IPC than modern CPUs - one of these 6 cores at about 4.6 GHz is about as fast as a non overclocked Ryzen 1600 (and if the 1600 is overclocked these Xeons have no way of catching up). 

Looking on ebay I can find the board and chip found around $110 a piece the same price as a single Ryzen 1600 so there is that to consider.

The x5650 through x5675 can routinely be found for $20-60 on ebay, though you still will need a motherboard and ram. At that price, it's not bad for a cheap PC, or to breathe life into an existing one.

All of the X58 xeons can overclock to between 4.2 fairly comfortably, 4.5-4.6 is fairly common but requires a good motherboard and cooling. Higher than that is unlikely but not unheard of....BUT these chips aren't modern. Overclocked they can hold their own vs non-overclocked modern chips (skylakes, etc), but the platform is also old. Will you notice a difference day to day? Probably not. If you don't already have an X58 system to tinker with, is it worth it? No, buy a newer ryzen or intel system for the same money.