Wattage confusion

Elevenbgrunt

So pc partner says my comp needs about 750 watts I've got i7 8700k and 2 x 1080 ti Poseidon looking at overclocking cpu and maybe the gpus later in future and I'm water cooling with duel loops. How much extra wattage should I add since I'm gonna have 3 water pumps 12 fans and the overclocking that pc part picker doesn't take into account. Am I crazy for thinking I need a 1200 watt or maybe 1500w psu?

Also how hard is it to replace a fan on a psu with one that has rgb lighting?

I'd add at least 250w to allow room for the overclocks then add the wattage of the 3 pumps combined. There should be a label on the pumps that'll tell you what the voltage and amp/wattage is.

-アパゾ

7 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

So pc partner says my comp needs about 750 watts I've got i7 8700k and 2 x 1080 ti Poseidon looking at overclocking cpu and maybe the gpus later in future and I'm water cooling with duel loops. How much extra wattage should I add since I'm gonna have 3 water pumps 12 fans and the overclocking that pc part picker doesn't take into account. Am I crazy for thinking I need a 1200 watt or maybe 1500w psu?

(headroom included for the estimations)

Each 1080ti uses 300w under overclocking, 8700k uses 150W, 100W for the pumps, fans, drives, even LED strips. They add up to 850W, So yes, 1000W is needed. Preferably 1200w if you can afford it, but 1500w is a bit too much.

1 minute ago, Julian2000nl said:

Always have spare power. The more the better. If you can afford a 1500W PSU, get a 1500W PSU, it's also great for future proofing. I'd say 1200W is a minimum. 1000 will work too but it's not great for future proofing and might become an issue later on.

DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES open your PSU, unless you really know what you're doing("I know how to build a PC" is not knowing what you're doing). There are capacators in there than hold a deathly charge. Even when your PSU has been off for a while: You touch the wrong part, you're dead. You remove the fan and accidentally touch a capacator, boom you're dead. Keep your PSU fan what it came with.

Dont open it up. It can be dangerous and breaks your warranty. Buy one with RGB fans instead.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Always have spare power. The more the better. If you can afford a 1500W PSU, get a 1500W PSU, it's also great for future proofing. I'd say 1200W is a minimum. 1000 will work too but it's not great for future proofing and might become an issue later on.

DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES open your PSU, unless you really know what you're doing("I know how to build a PC" is not knowing what you're doing). There are capacators in there than hold a deathly charge. Even when your PSU has been off for a while: You touch the wrong part, you're dead. You remove the fan and accidentally touch a capacator, boom you're dead. Keep your PSU fan what it came with.

Assuming you don't turn it on at all, its probably ok ***sign off liablity here***

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

16 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Not worried about danger more so about complexity. Is it soldered in or is it a connector? I'm an operator at a nuclear power plant I use stuff with high enough voltage and amps on a regular basis that their is no known safety gear in existence that would protect me in the event of an arc flash or if I touch wrong thing.

4 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Assuming you don't turn it on at all, its probably ok ***sign off liablity here***

No even if a PSU is turned off it is NOT SAFE to open, the capacitors can stay charged for years. As another poster said you CAN DIE. People have actually died from opening up there PSUs. You touch a capacitor and it can stop your heart. Unless there's someone right there who can start CPR, and your a very lucky person you will die. Leave opening up a PSU to professionals it's not worth your life.

17 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

(headroom included for the estimations)

Each 1080ti uses 300w under overclocking, 8700k uses 150W, 100W for the pumps, fans, drives, even LED strips. They add up to 850W, So yes, 1000W is needed. Preferably 1200w if you can afford it, but 1500w is a bit too much.

Dont open it up. It can be dangerous and breaks your warranty. Buy one with RGB fans instead.

Void warranty ok then I'd rather not do that.

50 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

These power estimates are the maximum theoretical draw. In general it is quite difficult to push a system hard enough to actually pull the maximum. In fact there are several videos on the net using earlier generations of gpu that find well less than the max being drawn even with the cpu and gpu working flat out. Newer gpu seem to come closer to the stated max.

850W would be the minimum in my opinion. 1000W would be my suggestion. Much more is simply going to push psu utilization down into its less efficient zone.

45 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

Also how hard is it to replace a fan on a psu with one that has rgb lighting?

Depends on the psu. Some models have a fan that plugs into the main board. Others, usually less expensive models, use a soldered connection. If you find a good review of a model, there is often a picture or note about the fan connection to the main board. 

Undoubtedly, opening a psu will void its warranty. (It can also be dangerous if one has little or no knowledge of psu.)

The big question is why do this. In most modern cases psu are mounted with the fan facing down on the bottom the case. So it is not directly visible. If the desire is to achieve indirect lighting under the case, many cases have a bottom fan mount between the front and the psu. Simply use that mount for an RGB fan.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, RAM555789 said:

No even if a PSU is turned off it is NOT SAFE to open, the capacitors can stay charged for years. As another poster said you CAN DIE. People have actually died from opening up there PSUs. You touch a capacitor and it can stop your heart. Unless there's someone right there who can start CPR, and your a very lucky person you will die. Leave opening up a PSU to professionals it's not worth your life.

RGB is worth life lol

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

I would go for 1000w, 1200 if you really want to play it safe.

22 hours ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

Not worried about danger more so about complexity. Is it soldered in or is it a connector? I'm an operator at a nuclear power plant I use stuff with high enough voltage and amps on a regular basis that their is no known safety gear in existence that would protect me in the event of an arc flash or if I touch wrong thing.

The fan should be connected just by a 2 pin connector to the pcb on the psu. If anything though your bigger worry might be figuring out how to connect the fan to an RGB header seeing as the psu sure won't have one.

If you do open up your psu though, try not to go anywhere near the big caps and also, before doing, shut down your pc, flip the switch on the back of your psu to off, and then hold the power button on your pc for about a minute. Wait about an hour after that and then open up the psu.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb