A complicated issue.

Let me preface this with this:

I purchased a prebuilt computer in 2011. An... Asus... Something. CM6330, I believe? Still has the base MoBo and RAM, but a new HDD and GPU

I've been basically Dr. Frankensteining the computer ever since then, hard drive to expand space and gpu to help me run games. and... I appear to be at a crossroads.

I have a GTX 970, and an i7-3770 CPU, with 8 GB of ram. I've realized that with quite a few games (primarily the borderlands games and newer call of duty games) that my graphics drivers have been constantly crashing, I'd say, once every... 30 minutes or so, of gameplay. My thoughts are that, it isn't just a faulty driver, instead, it's a faulty graphics card, seeing as though my previous two cards, a GT 650, and a GTX 770, have never had this crashing issue.

Anyways, I intend to switch from the 970 to a 1070, in the hopes that it will stop the crashing, or at least decrease the amount of crashes I experience. Is this the case, or will I really need to break down and replace literally all my parts just to be able to handle a new card? I really do know nothing about hardware, and I probably will keep it that way. I just want to know what's causing the crashes. Is it a driver, is it a physical thing... The issue only seems to occur when I'm playing certain games, so it's most likely software, but... it might not be?

Please help me?

3 minutes ago, jus_joj said:

I purchased a prebuilt computer in 2011. An... Asus... Something. CM6330, I believe? Still has the base MoBo and RAM, but a new HDD and GPU

I've been basically Dr. Frankensteining the computer ever since then, hard drive to expand space and gpu to help me run games. and... I appear to be at a crossroads.

I have a GTX 970, and an i7-3770 CPU, with 8 GB of ram. I've realized that with quite a few games (primarily the borderlands games and newer call of duty games) that my graphics drivers have been constantly crashing, I'd say, once every... 30 minutes or so, of gameplay. My thoughts are that, it isn't just a faulty driver, instead, it's a faulty graphics card, seeing as though my previous two cards, a GT 650, and a GTX 770, have never had this crashing issue.

Anyways, I intend to switch from the 970 to a 1070, in the hopes that it will stop the crashing, or at least decrease the amount of crashes I experience. Is this the case, or will I really need to break down and replace literally all my parts just to be able to handle a new card? I really do know nothing about hardware, and I probably will keep it that way. I just want to know what's causing the crashes. Is it a driver, is it a physical thing... The issue only seems to occur when I'm playing certain games, so it's most likely software, but... it might not be?

Please help me?

I had a similar problem recently. Can you describe the crashes?

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

1 minute ago, TurbulentWinds said:

I had a similar problem recently. Can you describe the crashes?

So, essentially what'll happen is, the game freezes, then both of my monitors will just turn ENTIRELY GREY for a good second or two. then, my monitors both go black for a moment, before slowly returning back, and the game will have just shut down, with one of two issues. One: the games having reported direct X encountering an error. or two, nothing from the game, just a notification in the corner of my screen reporting that my display drivers stopped responding and have recovered.

1 minute ago, Zic05 said:

Bottlenecks?

No way with that system.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

4 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

Try updating drivers

tried that. Most updated drivers you can get. Still crashes.

1. DDU then reinstall drivers

2. What PSU do you have?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

1. DDU then reinstall drivers

2. What PSU do you have?

What do you mean by DDU? and, I have a 750w corsair PSU, I got it in... 2015

also, do i NEED to be in safe mode to use this? My PC has this issue with its bios, or maybe just my mouse and keyboard, where I can't use my keyboard, and my mouse only moves horizontally, so, essentially, I can't do anything in the bios screen, including turning on safe mode.

11 minutes ago, jus_joj said:

are you sure this program is safe, though?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, jus_joj said:

also, do i NEED to be in safe mode to use this? My PC has this issue with its bios, or maybe just my mouse and keyboard, where I can't use my keyboard, and my mouse only moves horizontally, so, essentially, I can't do anything in the bios screen, including turning on safe mode.

No idea -- But that info might be really important! Generally, follow their instructions.

PS: It's usually a good idea to include all relevant information like *My BIOS no longer works correctly* when you're posting about computer problems. Have you tried updating your BIOS?

Edit: Thanks Windows.

Just now, Woldraxe said:

Yes.

No idea -- But that info might be really important! Generally, follow their instructions.

PS: It's usually a good idea to include all relevant information like *My BIOS no longer works correctly* when you're posting about computer problems. Have you tried updating your BIOS?

image.png

image.png

Genuinely have no damned idea how to update my BIOS, but I guess I would try that if I knew how.

3 minutes ago, jus_joj said:

Genuinely have no damned idea how to update my BIOS, but I guess I would try that if I knew how.

Open your start menu and type in dxdiag. Hit Enter. If it asks about checking your digital drivers or whatever, hit no. Can you post your System model?

I can just send the whole DxDiag window I guess

whole hog.png

1 hour ago, jus_joj said:

Please help me?

have u tried using the computer with the gpu in  a different pci slot?

Just now, MineParker101 said:

have u tried using the computer with the gpu in  a different pci slot?

is that even... a thing you can do? what the hell would that even change, the hell?

Just now, jus_joj said:

is that even... a thing you can do? what the hell would that even change, the hell?

That is to see if the pci slot is bad, it is a common accurance on older systems than urs, but i just want to see. 

1 minute ago, jus_joj said:

Yes......

But let's step back here for a second. Is there another computer in your house that isn't a laptop with a powersupply that is 500 watts or highers? (it should be noted, PCI-E malfunctions are also commonly written into the Event Viewer log files.)

1 minute ago, Woldraxe said:

Yes......

But let's step back here for a second. Is there another computer in your house that isn't a laptop with a powersupply that is 500 watts or highers? (it should be noted, PCI-E malfunctions are also commonly written into the Event Viewer log files.)

Genuinely have no idea, but the computer downstairs seems to run most games well so I would assume that it does? I'm guessing you're going to suggest that I try to surgery the PCs and see if the other PSU would stop the crashing. but, I can't really do that.

40 minutes ago, jus_joj said:

What do you mean by DDU? and, I have a 750w corsair PSU, I got it in... 2015

also, out of curiosity, what series is your psu apart of (cx, rmi, ex)?

Just now, MineParker101 said:

also, out of curiosity, what series is your psu apart of (cx, rmi, ex)?

It's a CX750M, I believe.