Overkill PCs

Mercury

Just wondering what everyone considers overkill in a pc.

Well that depends on what you're doing with the PC.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Let's say, for a gaming pc.

You can go a lot more excessive than this but people commonly make the mistake of

3770k over 3570k

more than 8gb ram/higher speed ram

excessive wattage psu

the rest will vary depending on your personal preferences and budget limitations

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Hahahah, I'm buying an Overkill PC and I know its overkill... Things like SLI-titans or 680 SLI i consider overkill. Above 8ram is overkill too.

Anything is overkill depending on how you use it. If you game once in a blue moon, well anything is overkill.

And If your alright playing in Medium to High settings, than no need to buy a crazy priced computer when you are already okay with those kind of settings.

Dual Xeons
Sorry to sound like a noob, but what is so special about xeons?

Dual Xeons
From what I've read, Xeons support ECC memory and are better optimised for servers and workstations.

Dual Xeons
I had heard about xeons but just wasn't sure about their advantages. Thanks for the help!

dual gtx 690's or quad gtx titans would be overkill

dual gtx 690's or quad gtx titans would be overkill
lol one 690 or 1 titan are pretty darn high end in the first place, going quad shouldn't need to be mentioned in the first place :p.

Throw a ton of SSDs and put them in RAID 0?

Lots of things are considered overkill, people usually just say it when they are jealous of something and want to pick things out that you don't actually need.

Things usually considered as overkill:

>8GB RAM

>1866MHz RAM

>850W PSU

CPU >3770k

>256GB SSD

>2TB HDD

SLI 680 or above

XFire 7870 or above

These are the things I usually see people saying are overkill or nobody will ever need.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

My friend just built a computer that I think is major over kill for what he needs it for, he watches youtube videos, and plays nothing but empire total war. He bought a 3770k, 16gb 1600MHz memory, 2 670s, 1000w xfx psu, water cooling and 2 samsung ssds with a 1tb wd black for storage. I told him all he really needs is a 3570k, 8gb of ram and a 660ti with a 750w psu but hes one of those people who need the best for bragging rights xD

System: AMD Phenom II 965 BE, 8GB Mushkin Sliverline, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, Fractal Designs Core 1000, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair TX750W, Zalman CNPS5X (awful cooler), and a GTx 560 1GB.

Lots of things are considered overkill, people usually just say it when they are jealous of something and want to pick things out that you don't actually need.

>8GB RAM

>1866MHz RAM

>850W PSU

CPU >3770k

>256GB SSD

>2TB HDD

SLI 680 or above

XFire 7870 or above

These are the things I usually see people saying are overkill or nobody will ever need.

Applies to a gaming rig right?

Remember when Diesel asked 32gb ram from Linus for his editing machine. :D

>8GB RAM

>1866MHz RAM

>850W PSU

CPU >3770k

>256GB SSD

>2TB HDD

SLI 680 or above

XFire 7870 or above

Applies to a gaming rig right?

Remember when Diesel asked 32gb ram from Linus for his editing machine. :D

What I believe is overkill for a PC is anything that a user puts into the PC that will not be used to the full potential.

Specifically in gaming, it depends on the game involved. Some games full spec hardware isn't needed in other PC game full spec. ie; Crysis 3 full spec hardware isn't needed to run solitaire (Mind you, you would be playing solitaire like no other :P ). So it's hard to put a list of hardware together that would be considered overkill.

There are many enthusiasts that build "overkill" PC's for their own satisfaction. Adding the custom loop, the Titan or two is more for the own user's aesthetic goal. Some just do it (like said above) for bragging rights. Either way, I wouldn't consider any PC overkill if it achieves the goal that is intended.

Main Rig: Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 Pro Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz (Swiftech H220) Memory: G-Skill Sniper Series 16GB 1866MHz Video Card: Asus GTX660 Ti Drives: 500GB (Western Digital HDD) 120GB (OCZ Agillity SSD) 1TB (Western Digital HDD) 1TB (Seagate Barracuda HDD) 120GB (Kingston SSD) PSU: Corsair TX 850 OS: Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit Monitor Type: 26" Asus & 52" Samsung Smart TV

Laptop: Dell XPS 17" - CPU: Intel i7-2720QM 2.2GHz Memory: 16GB (stock) Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Drives: x2 500GB Features: BlueRay Drive, JBL Speakers, 3D Monitor

What I believe is overkill for a PC is anything that a user puts into the PC that will not be used to the full potential.

Specifically in gaming, it depends on the game involved. Some games full spec hardware isn't needed in other PC game full spec. ie; Crysis 3 full spec hardware isn't needed to run solitaire (Mind you, you would be playing solitaire like no other :P ). So it's hard to put a list of hardware together that would be considered overkill.

There are many enthusiasts that build "overkill" PC's for their own satisfaction. Adding the custom loop, the Titan or two is more for the own user's aesthetic goal. Some just do it (like said above) for bragging rights. Either way, I wouldn't consider any PC overkill if it achieves the goal that is intended.

or maybe they don't want to upgrade their every 2 years :X

If a person always wants to play the latest game, or utilize the latest technologies they will have to upgrade in some aspect. Either RAM, Motherboard, GPU, even CPU will have to upgrade to some extent. Even if you went balls to the wall right now and put the best of the best in your system, who's to say that in two years developers of a game or some sort of technology doesn't come out that makes you have to upgrade something to take part?

On my old build I easily went 4 years before upgrading anything. Now I could have gone longer if I chose not to take part in the newer game or technology.

Main Rig: Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 Pro Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz (Swiftech H220) Memory: G-Skill Sniper Series 16GB 1866MHz Video Card: Asus GTX660 Ti Drives: 500GB (Western Digital HDD) 120GB (OCZ Agillity SSD) 1TB (Western Digital HDD) 1TB (Seagate Barracuda HDD) 120GB (Kingston SSD) PSU: Corsair TX 850 OS: Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit Monitor Type: 26" Asus & 52" Samsung Smart TV

Laptop: Dell XPS 17" - CPU: Intel i7-2720QM 2.2GHz Memory: 16GB (stock) Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Drives: x2 500GB Features: BlueRay Drive, JBL Speakers, 3D Monitor

Overkill would be more than 3 PC's, all you need is one backup and another for "testing".

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

When purchases are made but the customer can not explain the reason behind the purchase.

>8GB RAM

>1866MHz RAM

>850W PSU

CPU >3770k

>256GB SSD

>2TB HDD

SLI 680 or above

XFire 7870 or above

do u mean 8gig of ram is overkill??

My friend just built a computer that I think is major over kill for what he needs it for, he watches youtube videos, and plays nothing but empire total war. He bought a 3770k, 16gb 1600MHz memory, 2 670s, 1000w xfx psu, water cooling and 2 samsung ssds with a 1tb wd black for storage. I told him all he really needs is a 3570k, 8gb of ram and a 660ti with a 750w psu but hes one of those people who need the best for bragging rights xD
i could have lived with a 600w PSU and a 660!