Can't get wake on lan to work, please help

Dolan Trump

Hey, I'm trying to get wake on lan to work on my computer (ASUS P8Z77-V LK) and some Seagate NAS. It used to work with old router (ASUS DLS-AC68U) but since I got new fiber router (HUAWEI HG8245Q) it doesn't work, I tried forwarding port 9 to 192.168.100.255 (it was supposed to be broadcast according to the internet) but it didn't work, so I forwarded it directly to my computer and magic packet started showing up on wireshark but when I turn the computer off it doesn't start on lan. I activated it in BIOS and made sure it's active in device manager in windows. I have no idea what's wrong and all I can find on internet is to check that it's active in BIOS or device manager. Could router be the problem here? I use this site https://www.depicus.com/ to send the packet. 

WOL is very picky about which routers it works with. I'm willing to bet your router is at fault. No a surprise really, blocking that sort of thing is a simple security measure.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

WOL is very picky about which routers it works with. I'm willing to bet your router is at fault. No a surprise really, blocking that sort of thing is a simple security measure.

It's getting through to his computer, so the router isn't blocking it from going through. Something on the computer might not like the magic packet.

OP, do you have a static address on the computer or does it pull from DHCP?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I had this issue and I never fixed it, but I am sure it's possible.  When I sent the 5 packets, my router (Netgear Nighthawk) detected them packets as DoS attempts. 

Edited by CmzPlusHardware

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

It has static 192.168.100.2 if that somehow matters (computers are sometimes weird), I'm sure computer gets the packet while it's turned on, no idea if it goes through while it's off (if that can be possible). WOL 100% worked with other router though it had built in wake on lan function and I used that, never tried sending the packet with website or any other way.

Just now, Dolan Trump said:

It has static 192.168.100.2 if that somehow matters (computers are sometimes weird), I'm sure computer gets the packet while it's turned on, no idea if it goes through while it's off (if that can be possible). WOL 100% worked with other router though it had built in wake on lan function and I used that, never tried sending the packet with website or any other way.

Hmmm, it's still getting to your computer so it should be able to make it there when it's not on. It's possible that the router is letting through one packet and blocking the rest though. Not really sure on the whole conversation that goes on with WoL or if it's just a single packet, which I think it is.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Here's all Wireshark has about this packed, it's even properly recognized as WOL and as MagicPacket for correct MAC, at least that's what I think I see.a3898b82bd.png