1000 USD laptop suggestions please

Havel

Helping a friend get her first real laptop and we want to get it right. The price point is obviously 1000 USD, the primary use for the laptop is productivity and portability with gaming being a secondary focus (ie: gtx 1050 level of performance). Personally i'm trying to stick with Acer laptops because I've always had fantastic luck with them and they lend themselves to being very easy and friendly to tamper with (also a major focus). Regarding the productivity its mostly going to be working online for a company so connectivity is crucial and it should have a fairly decent battery to accompany long working sessions if possible. I'm open to any suggestions outside of HP and Mac, love to see what you guys can help find for this.

Edit: this is my current suggestion
 https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509743213&sr=8-4&keywords=Acer+Predator+15&dpID=41v2oytxs9L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

1 minute ago, bdphxdude said:

Helping a friend get her first real laptop and we want to get it right. The price point is obviously 1000 USD, the primary use for the laptop is productivity and portability with gaming being a secondary focus (ie: gtx 1050 level of performance). Personally i'm trying to stick with Acer laptops because I've always had fantastic luck with them and they lend themselves to being very easy and friendly to tamper with (also a major focus). Regarding the productivity its mostly going to be working online for a company so connectivity is crucial and it should have a fairly decent battery to accompany long working sessions if possible. I'm open to any suggestions outside of HP and Mac, love to see what you guys can help find for this.

Why no HPs?

Just now, <Aleks> said:

Why no HPs?

They specifically dont let you use HDD's other than ones they provide making swapping or tampering with drives a nightmare 

8 minutes ago, bdphxdude said:

That is a pretty good sized laptop so if your friend was trying to focus on portability I wouldn't suggest that one. But as far as price to performance goes thats a good choice

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, bdphxdude said:

They specifically dont let you use HDD's other than ones they provide making swapping or tampering with drives a nightmare 

Wait, what? Since when? I put an SSD instead of the 2TB Hd that came in mine. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Leopard-079UK-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01N1YANAG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1509744266&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming+laptop

This is decent for the price, just don't expect over 3 hours battery life, also have a look at the razer laptops they are pretty portable and powerful if you don't mind buying second hand.

8 minutes ago, bdphxdude said:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509743213&sr=8-4&keywords=Acer+Predator+15&dpID=41v2oytxs9L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Your choice is pretty solid tbh, not sure how exaggerated the battery life quote is.

19 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

Wait, what? Since when? I put an SSD instead of the 2TB Hd that came in mine. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Leopard-079UK-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01N1YANAG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1509744266&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming+laptop

This is decent for the price, just don't expect over 3 hours battery life, also have a look at the razer laptops they are pretty portable and powerful if you don't mind buying second hand.

thats pretty weak, an i5 7300hq and a 1050 for $750 euros, thats terrible and OP doesn't live in EU anyway

28 minutes ago, bdphxdude said:

this laptop is a beast for its price; however its a little on the heavy side at almost 6 lbs so if the extra weight and bulk doesn't hamper "productivity and portability" i'd say go for it

otherwise you can find lighter machines that may have much worse gpu's and about the same cpu performance but if gaming is secondary then you don't care that much to begin with

1 hour ago, General Winter said:

thats pretty weak, an i5 7300hq and a 1050 for $750 euros, thats terrible and OP doesn't live in EU anyway

7300HQ+1050 for 750 Euros isn't that bad, the problem is, for MSI GV,GL,GP series laptops, their build quality is mediocre

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

7300HQ+1050 for 750 Euros isn't that bad, the problem is, for MSI GV,GL,GP series laptops, their build quality is mediocre

its the opposite, thats terrible, maybe for $650-$700 USD or $750 if it has 2tb and 256gb ssd

but in euros, thats awful, especially considering the conversion and neither of us live in london, you're definition of good is far worse than ours

12 hours ago, General Winter said:

Amazon changes the currency of the product based on your geographical location.  And a 7th gen I5 with a1050 for 700 is pretty good.

9 hours ago, <Aleks> said:

Amazon changes the currency of the product based on your geographical location.  And a 7th gen I5 with a1050 for 700 is pretty good.

thats really bad by american standards, for that price and size you should be getting an I7, i know somebody who did and within the states its much better

you're "deals" are scams us put simply; of course i don't know the hassale of bringing good from USA to london, really that just makes everything more expensive for you guys and OP location isn't shown but his amazon URL would have me guess he's an american like myself so i'd be of better assistance, especially since i know how to get more for less down here

On 04/11/2017 at 5:19 AM, bdphxdude said:

ROG Strix GL503VD. It just launched last month or something. i7-7700HQ+GTX1050

https://www.amazon.com/IPS-Type-Display-FireCuda-Keyboard-GL503VD/dp/B0753MSN75/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509934494&sr=8-1&keywords=GL503VD

Other suggestions:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP62MVR-Leopard-Pro-4K-463/dp/B01MT3HRDB/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1509934621&sr=1-1&keywords=GP62M

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-GeForce-Graphics-i5577-7359BLK-PUS/dp/B06XFGF7SN/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1509934759&sr=1-2&keywords=inspiron+15+gaming

https://www.amazon.com/15-6-inch-i7-7700HQ-Processor-GeForce-Windows/dp/B01N9QKYZ9/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1509934813&sr=1-2&keywords=FX502VM

Sorry about the clutter btw. xD 

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-13700KF (5.5GHz, -0.1v Offset), Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO, MSI Z690 Force WiFi, ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 OC, 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 CL36, 500GB WD Black SN850, 500GB WD Black SN750, 4TB Toshiba N300, Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular PSUPhanteks P500a Digital 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Dell S3422DWG 34 inch 144Hz QHD Ultrawide Monitor, Logitech G815 Lightsync, Logitech G703 Lightspeed, Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, Sennheiser HD 560s, Cooler Master MH630

Laptops:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2021),  AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU, 2x8GB DDR4, 1TB Samsung PM991a

Phones:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 256Gb Graygreen, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 128GB (Running Pixel Experience Android 13)