Fan control via graphics card

Hi all,

I've just built my rig, with a couple of  Aorus1080 ti WB, but I'm finding an interesting problem. 

There are two independent water loops in the pc, one for the CPU and other for the GPUs. Currently all fans for the rads are plugged in to the mother board, and therefore controlled by the CPU temp. 

As the processor is a Thread ripper with 16 cores, when playing it never really heats up, making the loops go at really low speed while the graphics card could use some extra air.

The GPU loop fans should be controlled based on the GPU temps, not based on CPU. Gigabyte tells me (in a support ticket) that there's no fan control, but I see the board is exactly the same as the air cooled version, and they have made room to be able to insert a 4pin that looks like the GPU fan control. You can even see that they made the acrylic in the shape to have space for that connector.

What guys do you think? is it worth trying? all the fans are powered by a 5V molex, so I would be only using it for the speed control. Is there any way to determine what for is that pin? Do i take any risk by trying?

Thanks in advance.

JL

Connector.jpg

you're better off using a fan controller that can monitor liquid temps. you might have to install a thermocouple somewhere.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I can't tell from the pic but if you actually have the standard fan header on the GPU board then all you need is this. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-pwm-fan-adapter-for-gpu-50cm

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

6 minutes ago, Steemax said:

I can't tell from the pic but if you actually have the standard fan header on the GPU board then all you need is this. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-pwm-fan-adapter-for-gpu-50cm

Thanks!

I had already ordered the cable, I need to know if that is the right header... how can I find out?

JL

Just now, Jose Luis Pedrosa said:

Thanks!

I had already ordered the cable, I need to know if that is the right header... how can I find out?

JL

I'm not sure there is much you can do. EK has been pretty helpful to me in questions like this. I messaged them on their FB page if you want to try that. Otherwise you'll just have to try and hope it works.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

3 minutes ago, Steemax said:

I'm not sure there is much you can do. EK has been pretty helpful to me in questions like this. I messaged them on their FB page if you want to try that. Otherwise you'll just have to try and hope it works.

I guess so, but what are the changes I'm breaking something...?

2 minutes ago, Jose Luis Pedrosa said:

I guess so, but what are the changes I'm breaking something...?

You won't lol don't worry. Worst case nothing will happen/it wont work. You'll go about your day.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold