A build mainly focused for CAD around 1000$

Go to solution Solved by Belzebuth,

My personal choice would be :

• CPU : R5 1600 (because 6c/12t) but the i5-8400 has a higher clock speed so better for AutoCad
  • GPU : GTX 1060 (because quadro are way to expensive)

Hello...

So a friend of mine asked me to part and build him a PC which would mainly be used for AutoCAD and sometimes Arduino, Basic, C++ Programing...

I built a bunch of PCs before but all of them were for gamers and i have never eaven parted out a pc for CAD and programming so any help is appriciated...

I read a lot of different informations around the internet but from what i found out that CAD mostly uses single core performance and while he will not be gaming on this machine i came to realise i should put a quadro card...

Lets begin with the graphic card... So as i mentioned i built pcs for gaming so my first thought was like ill put a gtx 1060 in and all good but while i was reading  i found out how much better of a performance he would get from a qudro card... So the card in the budget range are the p600, p1000 and p2000 and here i need help which one and why ofcourse the cheaper the better and all deppens on price/performance...

For the cpu im preety set on the i5 8400 couse the boost clock of 4.0 gives me almost the i7 7700k performance for literaly half the price but if you have any suggestion they are more than welcome...

For the Motherboard i will probably have to go with the Matična ploča ASROCK Z370 Pro4 becouse only one shop in my country has lga 1151 v2 and they only have z370 and this is the cheapest one...

Next ram Probably 16GB and if needed later upgrade to 32 GB...

Storage i will see what size ssd fits in the budget + 1 or 2 tb hard drive

And the Case and PSU not important right now i will chose it later...

So like 900$ for GPU,CPU,MB,RAM and storage...

Thanks to anyone who helps <3

David

5 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

go with ryzen cad likes cores btw i do cad myself

But is CAD  not  more optimized for Intel than AMD ? as of now  

Is your friend going to want to upgrade in the future? I use a Ryzen 7 for some programming classes I am taking and I have to use VM's for that. I'm not to CAD yet but I went with Ryzen for dependable upgrades in the future. I see no issues with Ryzen when it comes to programming. 16GB of Ram is good 

Just now, Wwadsworth said:

Is your friend going to want to upgrade in the future? I use a Ryzen 7 for some programming classes I am taking and I have to use VM's for that. I'm not to CAD yet but I went with Ryzen for dependable upgrades in the future. I see no issues with Ryzen when it comes to programming. 16GB of Ram is good 

He is just starting collage and i dont belive he will be upgrading anytime soon

2 minutes ago, jah118 said:

And as off my understanding does cad not favor CPU speed instead of cores so maybe a Intel Core i5-7600K instead?

Everything depend on the CAD software he use... Some use only 1-2cores, other like 3DS Max can use 6cores +... Quadro GPU may not be the best choice because of the higher price/performance ratio.

Just now, jah118 said:

just look at cinebench r15 multicore scores

cinebench is basically cad rendering

AutoCAD is mostly single threaded. So too are most software development environments. Higher clocks make the difference. That said, all else being equal an R7 would probably be a better choice than an i5-8400.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Autodesk-AutoCAD-134/Hardware-Recommendations explains the considerations when selecting a cpu for AutoCAD.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, Belzebuth said:

Everything depend on the CAD software he use... Some use only 1-2cores, other like 3DS Max can use 6cores +... Quadro GPU may not be the best choice because of the higher price/performance ratio.

i have vray (3ds max rendering plugin) running on about 100 cores. all utilized max

it scales perfectly with cores

3 minutes ago, jah118 said:

And as off my understanding does cad not favor CPU speed instead of cores so maybe a Intel Core i5-7600K instead?

You have a point there i could and i should go with the 7600k

2 minutes ago, Belzebuth said:

I belive hes main purpose is to use AutoCad

3 minutes ago, brob said:

AutoCAD is mostly single threaded. So too are most software development environments. Higher clocks make the difference. That said, all else being equal an R7 would probably be a better choice than an i5-8400.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Autodesk-AutoCAD-134/Hardware-Recommendations explains the considerations when selecting a cpu for AutoCAD.

I also do belive that a Ryzen 7 cpu would be better but im not sure will it fit in the budget thats why im trying to find a cheaper alternative

3 minutes ago, XCroAssasinX said:

I also do belive that a Ryzen 7 cpu would be better but im not sure will it fit in the budget thats why im trying to find a cheaper alternative

if you want a cheaper cpu get the 1600 and oc it with the included cooler

btw for mobo get the asus prime b350

1 minute ago, Ethocreeper said:

ask him exactly what cad software will he use

For now AutoCAD is the focus and we dont know if any of the lectures later on will require any else

if you want a cheaper cpu get the 1600 and oc it with the included cooler

Yeah it OCs well but still im not sure how will he respond to losing the warranty for ocing when i can get 4.0 or 4.2 from stock i5 just with turbo clocks

i have vray (3ds max rendering plugin) running on about 100 cores. all utilized max

it scales perfectly with cores

That's why the CPU choice depends on the software.

1 minute ago, XCroAssasinX said:

You have a point there i could and i should go with the 7600k

I belive hes main purpose is to use AutoCad

AutoCad is mainly single threaded but can benefit from more core in specific workload. If he didn't plan to do 3D render the I5-7600k is a good choice.

AutoCad is mainly single threaded but can benefit from more core in specific workload. If he didn't plan to do 3D render the I5-7600k is a good choice.

yes

6 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

ask him exactly what cad software will he use

thats what i said

1 minute ago, Belzebuth said:

If he does any 3D renders how much would he benefit from the aditional 2 cores from the 8400 and if he doesent how much would he benefit from the 7600ks speed... i will probably go with the 7600k kinda seems more stable for everything he will be using it for

1 minute ago, XCroAssasinX said:

If he does any 3D renders how much would he benefit from the aditional 2 cores from the 8400 and if he doesent how much would he benefit from the 7600ks speed... i will probably go with the 7600k kinda seems more stable for everything he will be using it for

look at the cinebench r 15 scores

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

look at the cinebench r 15 scores

They only tell one small part of the story. Being able to render in a picosecond matters if one is doing dozens of renders a day. OTOH if one does a render or two a week, so what if it takes minutes? 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 minutes ago, XCroAssasinX said:

If the 7600k is OC, it would be even better than the 8400. 

Just now, Belzebuth said:

If the 7600k is OC, it would be even better than the 8400. 

Im preety sure he will not let me oc it when he will lose his warranty so we will stay with the base/turbo speeds ... but im leaning towards 8400 for possible upgrade if needed later on... 

Just now, Belzebuth said:

Well if you plan not to OC, maybe the 8400 can be a better choice... 

Yeah im kinda preety set on 8400 for the extra cores and the posibility of a upgrade later on..

And what for a gpu should i go for a quadro or could a gtx 1060 6gb or myb eaven a 1050 ti do it?

My personal choice would be :

• CPU : R5 1600 (because 6c/12t) but the i5-8400 has a higher clock speed so better for AutoCad
  • GPU : GTX 1060 (because quadro are way to expensive)