Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IDE hdd boot failure

im trying to install xp onto my ME computer and i cant get past the boot screen it will check for hard drives then say none found and says boot failure can anyone help me please?

hard drive is a 20gb IDE

1 minute ago, GotchaMika said:

im trying to install xp onto my ME computer and i cant get past the boot screen it will check for hard drives then say none found and says boot failure can anyone help me please?

hard drive is a 20gb IDE

Does the drive show up in the BIOS?  Might want to double check and make sure the power and data cables are secure.  Didn't the old IDE drives have a jumper on them to indicate whether or not is was the primary or secondary drive?  Been a while since last worked with IDE.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Does the drive show up in the BIOS?  Might want to double check and make sure the power and data cables are secure.  Didn't the old IDE drives have a jumper on them to indicate whether or not is was the primary or secondary drive?  Been a while since last worked with IDE.

i tried looking in the bios for the hard drive and cant find it this is what is says in the boot sequence ''SCSI,A,C' ''SCSI,C,A'' ''C only'' '''S/ZIP ,C'' ''AC, SCSI''  ''C,A,SCSI'' C, CDROM,A''  ''A CDROM,C'' ''CDROM,A,C'' ''CDROM,C,A'' ''D,A,SCSI'' ''E,A,SCSI'' ''F,A,SCSI'' have no idea

10 minutes ago, GotchaMika said:

hard drive is a 20gb IDE

is ide drive properly pinned

on back theres pins with little jumper

1 is master

1 slave

1 cable select

check dvd/cd drive as well (especially if on same ribbon)

master is in the hard drive select is going into the motherboard and slave isnt hooked up to anything

10 minutes ago, GotchaMika said:

master is in the hard drive select is going into the motherboard and slave isnt hooked up to anything

this is the jumper on back of hdd(not cable im talking about)

i always had pull hdd out as jumper pain otherwise

do web image search for back ide hdd

this show jumper im talking about and if you view image of top of ide you will see jumper pin out chart

6 minutes ago, GotchaMika said:

i tried looking in the bios for the hard drive and cant find it this is what is says in the boot sequence ''SCSI,A,C' ''SCSI,C,A'' ''C only'' '''S/ZIP ,C'' ''AC, SCSI''  ''C,A,SCSI'' C, CDROM,A''  ''A CDROM,C'' ''CDROM,A,C'' ''CDROM,C,A'' ''D,A,SCSI'' ''E,A,SCSI'' ''F,A,SCSI'' have no idea

Since your list of available choices also includes "A", then I'm assuming your machine has a 3.5 inch floppy drive.  Dang, that is old but not as old as the 5.5 inch or 8 inch floppy disks.  Also thinking the machine has a cdrom.  So, here goes, still trying to get rid of some of the old fog.  Wow, a zip drive too.  That was a nice machine back in the day.

Okay, looking at your choices.......  The way I used to set mine up was the A drive first, then the CDRom, then the C: drive which was the regular hard drive, in this case, your 20gig IDE drive.  So boot is: "A, CDRom, C".  But most people had them usually set up as A:, C:.  The CDRom was not usually considered a boot device because back in the good old days, the operating system was on a floppy disk.  Games and software like MSOffice came on CDRom because of the file sizes but not usually the OS until Windows ME came along (I think??).

So, we got the boot sequence figured out, the IDE cable is in the master spot and the jumper on the ass end of the drive is set for master.  OK, IDE cable usually has three connections on it.  One on one end by itself and then the other two are a little closer together.  The connection on the end by itself goes on the mother boards in the master slot.  Then on the other end with the two connections closer together, the one on the end goes to the C: drive and if you had a secondary drive, or a D: drive, then the connection left over somewhat in the center would connect there.  Don't forget the cable connections are "keyed" so they should only go on one way

Give this information a shot when you can then drop a note and let us know how it goes.  Good luck.  For now, I'm headed to sleep, going on 2am here in california.

6 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

this is the jumper on back of hdd(not cable im talking about)

i always had pull hdd out as jumper pain otherwise

do web image search for back ide hdd

this show jumper im talking about and if you view image of top of ide you will see jumper pin out chart

ok i looked at rhw hdd not sure if its what you mean but i see 6 little pins

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Since your list of available choices also includes "A", then I'm assuming your machine has a 3.5 inch floppy drive.  Dang, that is old but not as old as the 5.5 inch or 8 inch floppy disks.  Also thinking the machine has a cdrom.  So, here goes, still trying to get rid of some of the old fog.  Wow, a zip drive too.  That was a nice machine back in the day.

Okay, looking at your choices.......  The way I used to set mine up was the A drive first, then the CDRom, then the C: drive which was the regular hard drive, in this case, your 20gig IDE drive.  So boot is: "A, CDRom, C".  But most people had them usually set up as A:, C:.  The CDRom was not usually considered a boot device because back in the good old days, the operating system was on a floppy disk.  Games and software like MSOffice came on CDRom because of the file sizes but not usually the OS until Windows ME came along (I think??).

So, we got the boot sequence figured out, the IDE cable is in the master spot and the jumper on the ass end of the drive is set for master.  OK, IDE cable usually has three connections on it.  One on one end by itself and then the other two are a little closer together.  The connection on the end by itself goes on the mother boards in the master slot.  Then on the other end with the two connections closer together, the one on the end goes to the C: drive and if you had a secondary drive, or a D: drive, then the connection left over somewhat in the center would connect there.  Don't forget the cable connections are "keyed" so they should only go on one way

Give this information a shot when you can then drop a note and let us know how it goes.  Good luck.  For now, I'm headed to sleep, going on 2am here in california.

ok ill give it a shot :)

Just now, GotchaMika said:

ok ill give it a shot :)

just tried and it still says disk boot failure

2 minutes ago, GotchaMika said:

ok i looked at rhw hdd not sure if its what you mean but i see 6 little pins

any little plastic rectangle across any 2 pins

if no then drive wont work till one lf the choices is shorted together

steal it off the a drive or optical

4 minutes ago, GotchaMika said:

just tried and it still says disk boot failure

Just getting ready to log out, but that's okay.  Dang, still says failure.  Bummer.  Wow, tried just about everything I can think of or remember.  Will do some more thinking and drop a note here sometime tomorrow.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Just getting ready to log out, but that's okay.  Dang, still says failure.  Bummer.  Wow, tried just about everything I can think of or remember.  Will do some more thinking and drop a note here sometime tomorrow.

thanks man appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

any little plastic rectangle across any 2 pins

if no then drive wont work till one lf the choices is shorted together

steal it off the a drive or optical

soprry im a total noob with old tech what do you mean rectangle?

Just now, bcguru9384 said:

note ME is great OS but f***ing nightmare to get setup

Not to bad if I remember correctly but XP was a real beotch but I think that was mostly because that was the first real attempt at a windows style networking setup.  Back then, EVERYTHING hooked up to any sort of network just about was hooked up with Windows XP.  The XP stood for eXtra Pain.

1 minute ago, GotchaMika said:

soprry im a total noob with old tech what do you mean rectangle?

do you know what bios reset is

do you know what bios reset is

cmos?

yup

its plastic pc just like that jumper

Back in those days, the BIOS reset tool was called a screwdriver.  Dang it's late, gotta get outta here and get some sleep.

but its on the ide hdd over 2 of the 6 pins

fact that you seen 6

and drive not registering in bios says jumper is missing

fact that you seen 6

Well, an IDE drive typicalls falls back to cable select if the jumper is missing. This is usually printed on the label though. Some drives default to slave.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

Just now, kb5zue said:

Back in those days, the BIOS reset tool was called a screwdriver.  Dang it's late, gotta get outta here and get some sleep.

gnite

and ya xp was finicky but so much easier as driver system was much better

1 minute ago, bcguru9384 said:

fact that you seen 6

oh i noticed that little plastic bit its on there what do i need to do?