Too much liquid metal?

Sn1gel_

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place. Was unsure where it should go. 

I am just building a new computer with the 8700k and I am delidding it. During relidding I now realise that I put too much cryonaut on it, to the point where a tiny bubble formed outside of the ihs.

I removed this but have to wonder: is it bad that I put so much liquid metal? Will it hurt my performance? Should I delid again to fix it? 

Edit: The CPU posts and is registered. 

Edit: I mean the conductonaut. 

Are you sure you put liquid metal? Cos the Kryonaut is a paste.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

2 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

Are you sure you put liquid metal? Cos the Kryonaut is a paste.

Sorry I miswrote. I mean conductonaut 

Just now, Sn1gel_ said:

Sorry I miswrote. I mean conductonaut 

Can you elaborate the bubble thing? Do you mean it actually leaked out and is forming a bubble?

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

5 minutes ago, Sn1gel_ said:

to the point where a tiny bubble formed outside of the ihs.

dude how much did you put on there,the whole tube?

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

1 minute ago, McHox said:

dude how much did you put on there,the whole tube?

Haha no but like 2/3 of the smallest tube avaliable. 

8 minutes ago, Sn1gel_ said:

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place. Was unsure where it should go. 

I am just building a new computer with the 8700k and I am delidding it. During relidding I now realise that I put too much cryonaut on it, to the point where a tiny bubble formed outside of the ihs.

I removed this but have to wonder: is it bad that I put so much liquid metal? Will it hurt my performance? Should I delid again to fix it? 

Edit: The CPU posts and is registered. 

Edit: I mean the conductonaut. 

Can you take a photo of how much you put or the bubble itself, the liquid metal should only be a thin coating on the two surfaces, the IHS and die of the CPU. 

4 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

Can you elaborate the bubble thing? Do you mean it actually leaked out and is forming a bubble?

Whilst relidding, a tiny bubble popped up outside. It was really not big and I removed it. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Can you take a photo of how much you put or the bubble itself, the liquid metal should only be a thin coating on the two surfaces, the IHS and die of the CPU. 

The bubble is no longer there. Should I still take a photo of what is left? I realise that the layer on the CPU itself was too thick. It protruded probably twice as high as it should have. On the ihs I put an appropriate amount. 

Could having this much tim damage performance or the CPU itself? Otherwise I am fine with it. 

Just now, Sn1gel_ said:

The bubble is no longer there. Should I still take a photo of what is left? I realise that the layer on the CPU itself was too thick. It protruded probably twice as high as it should have. On the ihs I put an appropriate amount. 

Could having this much tim damage performance or the CPU itself? Otherwise I am fine with it. 

Did you turn it on cause your probably going to short the contacts near the CPU die, take it all off and start over by just barely coating the IHS and the die it should not be more than a thin coating. Ideally you want to cover the contact pins just in case some liquid metal gets onto them since it's highly conductive. 

Image result for delid liquid metal

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

Did you turn it on cause your probably going to short the contacts near the CPU die, take it all off and start over by just barely coating the IHS and the die it should not be more than a thin coating. Ideally you want to cover the contact pins just in case some liquid metal gets onto them since it's highly conductive. 

Image result for delid liquid metal

I turned it on and it survived. Should I do this anyway?

Also, I am not entirely sure if I have enough conductonaut left. Can I reuse some which I already applied by first sucking it up into the tube?

How do you clean liquid metal off the dye? Do I just use regular articlean? 

4 minutes ago, Sn1gel_ said:

I turned it on and it survived. Should I do this anyway?

Also, I am not entirely sure if I have enough conductonaut left. Can I reuse some which I already applied by first sucking it up into the tube?

How do you clean liquid metal off the dye? Do I just use regular articlean? 

You may be lucky but personally I would not leave it for the risk of it shorting out. For liquid metal you can clean it with lint free cloth and isopropyl if needed. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

You may be lucky but personally I would not leave it for the risk of it shorting out. For liquid metal you can clean it with lint free cloth and isopropyl if needed. 

I will. Could I reuse the conductonaut or not? 

1 minute ago, Sn1gel_ said:

I will. Could I reuse the conductonaut or not? 

I guess you can, keep some to the side just incase you don't haven enough. Also cover those gold contacts near the CPU just incase there is any excess liquid metal so it doesn't get onto the pins, it's common to use electrical tape or kapton tape on them.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

I guess you can, keep some to the side just incase you don't haven enough. Also cover those gold contacts near the CPU just incase there is any excess liquid metal so it doesn't get onto the pins, it's common to use electrical tape or kapton tape on them.

Absolutely. Thank you for all the help. Really appreciate it. One last question, should I put the tim on both the dye and ihs or only on the dye? Don't know of I will be able to find the exact spot on the ihs where I should apply it. 

3 minutes ago, Sn1gel_ said:

Absolutely. Thank you for all the help. Really appreciate it. One last question, should I put the tim on both the dye and ihs or only on the dye? Don't know of I will be able to find the exact spot on the ihs where I should apply it. 

You should place it on both a make sure it adheres or wets to the two surfaces since the metal amalgam tends to bead on top.