Overclocking my 980 Ti

Ninja_Commander

I have done some overclocking on my 980 Ti and it has worked well, but I don't know if my overclock is the best combination to make it work at its best.  It's an EVGA 980 Ti SC+ that I bought back in January of 2016.  I just want to get the most out of my card before seeing what the next gen cards will be like next year.  My over clock is showing a +130mhz gpu clock and as +500mhz on the memory clock, power limit is at +110. This was all done in MSI Afterburner so I don't know how much more I can push it.

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

after maxing out the temp and power limit 

just keep increasing the core clock until it becomes unstable / crashes during applications

once it seems unstable dial it back - run your apps and benchmarks again until its stable

Photography / Finance / Gaming

and drop the memory clock to +0 while you push up the core clock, core clock is gonna give you more oomph, you can fiddle with memory after you find the core clocks limit and fiddle with trying to trade off core for memory if you want every little bit of performance possible 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

You'll benefit more from bumping the core clock than you will on the memory but that's a good overclock. Keep pushing core clock until it crashes and then dial it back a touch. Sometimes you can get more out of the core by reducing the memory.

If you want to go a step further you can flash the bios on your card to unlock a higher power limit / additional voltage. If you decide to do that, make sure you back up the current bios on your card and research research research. You can brick it if you screw up.

If you look at the boost clocks most 980 tis should be able to hold a steady ~ 1450 mhz as long as your temperatures are alright.

@Rolling Potatoe @pwnograffik @Cyracus @mok  I did some testing late last night and I saw that my system was giving me a 1471MHz when I was doing the Heaven benchmark, and I was geting 64.1 fps at 1440p with everything maxed. My memory seemed to be okay. I will be doing more testing later to get more results in my memory, plus I was at 1374MHZ earlier in that test before it decided to bump up to 1471MHz.  I will be asking for more help later when I get back a gig I gotta head to.

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on