Windows not recognizing a Drive

I was given a working western digital Scorpio blue 500gb out of a friends old laptop.

plugged it in, all the cables are correctly inserted and all, the bio recognizes it and its size, but when i get into windows, windows doesnt recognize it at all , it doesn't show up any where, ive looked in device manager and its not there, disk management. any ideas?

It doesn't even show up in disk management as unallocated space?

La`~

This is weird!

Any idea what format the drive is running? Should let you know in the BIOS. As well, does this drive have Windows on it?

Main Rig: Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 Pro Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz (Swiftech H220) Memory: G-Skill Sniper Series 16GB 1866MHz Video Card: Asus GTX660 Ti Drives: 500GB (Western Digital HDD) 120GB (OCZ Agillity SSD) 1TB (Western Digital HDD) 1TB (Seagate Barracuda HDD) 120GB (Kingston SSD) PSU: Corsair TX 850 OS: Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit Monitor Type: 26" Asus & 52" Samsung Smart TV

Laptop: Dell XPS 17" - CPU: Intel i7-2720QM 2.2GHz Memory: 16GB (stock) Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Drives: x2 500GB Features: BlueRay Drive, JBL Speakers, 3D Monitor

Search for and open 'create & format hard disk permissions'. If the drive is there, right click it and go to 'change letter and drive paths' then click add. Add a letter of your choice hit ok, then ok again and the drive should show up in windows explorer. If not do a restart. If not after that...I'm not sure.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

It doesn't even show up in disk management as unallocated space?
The Drive isnt visible in windows any where.

This is weird!

Any idea what format the drive is running? Should let you know in the BIOS. As well, does this drive have Windows on it?

Im going to guess that the drive is formatted to 'NTFS' because it still has a copy of windows installed on it. could my problem be something to do with both the drives having the same drive path? i.e my main drive is formatted as the primary C drive and the extra harddrive i installed also a C drive?

Search for and open 'create & format hard disk permissions'. If the drive is there, right click it and go to 'change letter and drive paths' then click add. Add a letter of your choice hit ok, then ok again and the drive should show up in windows explorer. If not do a restart. If not after that...I'm not sure.
I am unable to do that due to it not showing up in 'Disk management'

Are you able to plug it into another computer and see if it shows up? If that works, format and wipe it, then assign it a drive letter other than C (or any of the other dives that may be in your computer). The drive letters could have something to do with it... Failing that, If you have a windows install disk or USB, insert it and boot from it. Start an install but only go to the Page where you select the drive to install windows on. If the drive is there, use the format utility to format and wipe it, and fix any permissions etc. Make sure you don't accidentally wipe any of your other drives. Unplug them if you're really worried. Then just cancel the installer and restart. NOW the drive may show up in disk manager. If so, assign it a letter and you should be all good. Failing all this, I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe make a Linux live boot USB of Crunchbang or Ubuntu and see if it shows up.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

This is weird!

Check your BIOS, you might be able to format the drive from there.

If not, you could always pop in a windows disk. During the setup of this, you are allowed to look at all the partitions and drive, from there you can format.

Main Rig: Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 Pro Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz (Swiftech H220) Memory: G-Skill Sniper Series 16GB 1866MHz Video Card: Asus GTX660 Ti Drives: 500GB (Western Digital HDD) 120GB (OCZ Agillity SSD) 1TB (Western Digital HDD) 1TB (Seagate Barracuda HDD) 120GB (Kingston SSD) PSU: Corsair TX 850 OS: Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit Monitor Type: 26" Asus & 52" Samsung Smart TV

Laptop: Dell XPS 17" - CPU: Intel i7-2720QM 2.2GHz Memory: 16GB (stock) Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Drives: x2 500GB Features: BlueRay Drive, JBL Speakers, 3D Monitor

Good old disk was not properly turned off lock.

Well if you can use Linux, boot a live CD and run dmesg and see if it shows up in there as a device. Then get gparted GUI up and remove all the flags on the disk partition.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Good old disk was not properly turned off lock.

Well if you can use Linux, boot a live CD and run dmesg and see if it shows up in there as a device. Then get gparted GUI up and remove all the flags on the disk partition.

I dont have a dvd drive on my pc, dont need one, ill boot off a usb and try thank. thanks guys.