optical drive?

Flawizz
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

I haven't used an optical drive for the past 4 years and have never had a need for one during that time. If you really need one at some point, you can pick up a USB optical drive and connect it when it's needed. 

do i really need one? i mean i can download all drivers via internet, no need for the cd right? (new build from scratch, no second pc) or are there any drivers that cant be downloaded via their website and need a cd?

2 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

do i really need one? i mean i can download all drivers via internet, no need for the cd right? (new build from scratch, no second pc) or are there any drivers that cant be downloaded via their website and need a cd?

It's best to have one.

I haven't used an optical drive for the past 4 years and have never had a need for one during that time. If you really need one at some point, you can pick up a USB optical drive and connect it when it's needed. 

Not likely. Best case is search the driver for all the components your buying ahead of time. If for some reason down the road a driver for X product is only optical you might have to drop 20 bucks for a drive then.

3 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

I've never used an optical drive on my laptop and any other PCs. If you needed you can always buy an external drive if the time comes and you need to use optical media.

I never had to use an optical drive to install drivers, I just downloaded them off the support page for my hardware

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

First of all, windows installs all your drivers for you so you shouldn't have to download them yourself.

Second, yes everything that comes on the CD can be also downloaded from the website.

3 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

It's best to have one.

It's an obsolete potato which is 100% unnecessary.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depends on what you going to do.

If you're only going to play games then no.

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

First of all, windows installs all your drivers for you so you shouldn't have to download them yourself.

Second, yes everything that comes on the CD can be also downloaded from the website.

It's an obsolete potato which is 100% unnecessary.

Windows installs nvidia/amd gpu drivers? This is news to me. 

Just because you don't have a work flow that needs one doesn't mean it's an obsolete potato. I convert all my movies to digital to watch on plex. So for me not having one would be an issue. 

10 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

Windows installs nvidia/amd gpu drivers? This is news to me. 

Just because you don't have a work flow that needs one doesn't mean it's an obsolete potato. I convert all my movies to digital to watch on plex. So for me not having one would be an issue. 

Yeah it does, pay attention next time you do a clean install, it will say "searching for graphics drivers" and then will install them.

Obviously it doesn't install geforce experience or any of that additional software from nvidia/AMD, you do that yourself if you want.

And OP is not asking how to convert his movies to watch on plex, he is asking if he needs an optical drive to install drivers. Maybe you didn't read the whole post.

The answer to that is no.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020