i5 6600k or i7 6700

Go to solution Solved by TheOriginalHero,
10 minutes ago, bince said:

I'm just a bit worried about the lower clock speed of the 6700 thats all, will that make a noticeable difference?

Maybe in some games but locked i7 tend to fair better than any i5 for the majority

SO, I have a measly AMD a10 6800k (it needs to go, f a s t). I already own a z170 board, it was on sale for 49.99 so I just grabbed it. Anyway, i5 6600k and overclock OR i7 6700? I can upgrade the 6700 to a 7700k in the future, when the 6700 shows its age. This cpu must last me about 4-5 years. I personally think the i7 is a good choice as it has hyper threading and that will help in newer games that use more than 4 cores (BF1 for example).

Please share your thoughts, thanks ;)

Get an i7 6700/7700, it's much better than a 6600K. ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

11 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'm just a bit worried about the lower clock speed of the 6700 thats all, will that make a noticeable difference?

10 minutes ago, bince said:

Maybe in some games but locked i7 tend to fair better than any i5 for the majority

7 minutes ago, TheOriginalHero said:

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Thanks for your responses, I will be going for the i7 6700 :D!

i7s are i7 and i5s are i5, and they are not gonna change (except core and thread count)

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

i7s are i7 and i5s are i5, and they are not gonna change (except core and thread count)

Yeah, I suppose, although the manufacturing process changes (60nm, 32nm, 22nm, 14nm, 10nm)

Just now, bince said:

Yeah, I suppose, although the manufacturing process changes (60nm, 32nm, 22nm, 14nm, 10nm)

forgot to mention that and as always i7>i5 *if same generation

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

forgot to mention that and as always i7>i5 *if same generation

Yeah, I agree i7>i5. Thanks for the input :)

Just now, bince said:

Yeah, I agree i7>i5. Thanks for the input :)

yeah but if you look now compared to the past Present Gen i5>Further Gen i7

and you are welcome

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :