Toilet paper mod vs Equaliser

applesuxD

To reduce sibilance on a headphone, but keeping the clarity as much as possible, not looking to get any more bass.. Is it better to EQ or to mod it?

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

I would say it depends on where the peak is. I mostly see TP to reduce 5-6kHz peaks.

But if it is a peak that you dislike a lot then I would probably look into other headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Personally I've never managed to EQ out sibilance without negatively impacting the audio quality in some other way.

Gotta agree with this xD

4 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

It's better to buy a good headphone.

Or if it's in a recording, replace headphone with microphone.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

This is where I get frustrated! Many recommended earphones are sibilant. It's often overlooked. 

7 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I would say it depends on where the peak is. I mostly see TP to reduce 5-6kHz peaks.

But if it is a peak that you dislike a lot then I would probably look into other headphones.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Personally I've never managed to EQ out sibilance without negatively impacting the audio quality in some other way.

Gotta agree with this xD

Or if it's in a recording, replace headphone with microphone.

I am already getting the Aeons.

I'm ok with the T70s. I really dig the mids. 

And sadly nobody in singapore even heard of these cans as they all scramble to get the dt series so I'm likely unable to sell these..

Or i might sell it for like 200SGD ~ 140 USD which I'd just rather keep

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

52 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

This is where I get frustrated! Many recommended earphones are sibilant. It's often overlooked. 

I can't help but agree.

We always forget to factor that music is so compressed and EQ'ed to fit the mainstream that any boosted treble is just bad

Especially Rock. :(