Controller advice

BenR31415

Hey Guys, I'm normally a keyboard + mouse guy but I need a controller (or 2) for games like brothers: tale of two sons and super meat boy. I'm also wanting to play some split screen party games which I obviously need a controller for (eg screencheat, rocket league etc).

I'm also a bit of a cheapskate, and controllers seem pretty expensive considering that I won't use them that much (don't have much time to game and most of the time I'm playing FPS with a KB/M). I was originally going to get a wired xbox one controller for A$80, but I could get a wired 360 controller for A$40. I also realised that I could get the wireless xbox one controller for $85, but I'd need an extra ~$30 dongle to get it to work. My PC has bluetooth but it's pretty spotty (can't connect to my UE Boom) so I don't want to go the one s route.

There is also a steam controller for A$63, which seems like better value, but will it still work fine with games like I've listed above? I'm not interested in playing games on the couch normally, only when friends are over and when the game I'm playing particularly benefits from a controller (at my desk). Is the learning curve from the steam controller particularly high (so high that people coming from an xbox or playstation should still be able to play fine)?

Also, are there any knockoff controllers that you would recommend (considering that I am in Australia)?

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

• 2 weeks later...

This comment of mine was misleading. didn't see you meant on pc and not on console.

Edited by Q13E5
misleading comment

I'm not sure what the market is like in Australia, but in the US I recommend getting a used Xbox 360 controller (and the cheap wireless adapter if you needed it to be wireless). They don't cost that much and will get the job done for your use case.