3 tv setup man Cave!:

Hey guys! I need some advice from some fellow techies!

Here is my current situation: I just moved in with my girlfriend and because she appreciates the nerd in me, is allowing me to use the office as a game room! 

I currently have a 60 inch 4ktv mounted in the middle of the wall that is my main tv with sonos playbar and play 1s in the back, with two 42 inch tvs to the right of the 60 over and under each other, these were just older tvs that I threw up because why the hell not!

My problem: I have an Xbox one, a PS4, a wii, a switch, a SNES classic, a cable box and an Apple TV, also but not needed an extra blue ray player n64 and a retro duo nes and snes system that could be added but I don't need to.

So! Here I am, reaching out to all the gamers out there! I am trying to come up with some creative solutions to connect all these gaming/ watching devises to the Tvs I have.  

So so far my idea is to plug a 1x5 hdmi splitter into each tv and move them as needed. I did see a 2x5 splitter but havnt seen a 3x anything. The dream is to be able to use one tv for gaming always, one for sports(when needed) and one for my girlfriend to watch tv/movies on when I camp in the room for 10hrs +

SO! Does Any other gaming lovers like myself have any suggestions or idea of how to solve my problem?(ps the tvs are slightly off right so I can plug hdmis into them and then they will be perfectly alligned after) 

Thanks for any and all help on this matter!

IMG_3581.JPG

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Plug splitters into splitters so you can split your splitters while you split your HDMI ports!

can you elaborate on that a bit? that wording has my head going in circles haha

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Plug splitters into splitters so you can split your splitters while you split your HDMI ports!

Yo dawg! 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, Jmangum said:

can you elaborate on that a bit? that wording has my head going in circles haha

Hahaha sorry,

I'm basically saying plug splitters into splitters so you end up with a lot of HDMI ports you can use.

I sincerely hope that makes sense, I can't think of any other way to put this haha.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Hahaha sorry,

I'm basically saying plug splitters into splitters so you end up with a lot of HDMI ports you can use.

I sincerely hope that makes sense, I can't think of any other way to put this haha.

i can see how that would work, do 1x2 splitters into each tv and add anohter 1x2 into each and go from there kinda? 

wouldnt it just be easier to get a 1x5 splitter for each indiviudal tv and have an hdmi cord plugged into ever output (aka cable box, xbox, switch, etc...) and then plug those cords into the corresponding tv i want to use it on?

Just now, Jmangum said:

i can see how that would work, do 1x2 splitters into each tv and add anohter 1x2 into each and go from there kinda? 

wouldnt it just be easier to get a 1x5 splitter for each indiviudal tv and have an hdmi cord plugged into ever output (aka cable box, xbox, switch, etc...) and then plug those cords into the corresponding tv i want to use it on?

Yeah, pretty much!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

the other thing that sounded interesting but i could not find, would be a 3x6 hdmi splitter. i have seen multiple 2x5s out there that you can plug into two tvs, but i have not seen any that you can do three tvs.  have you heard/know where to look for something like that?

You posted this exact post a couple of days ago.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You posted this exact post a couple of days ago.

DIzmo,

I put up a similar type post in a different section, I got some new ideas on how to proceed and removed the sonos portion which I have taken care of.  i also learned a bit more about navigating the forum!  I am obviously new here as you can see from my post number and am just trying to get some advice from some more experienced people like yourself!

35 minutes ago, Jmangum said:

But wouldn't this make the switch redundant since you yourself would have to move the HDMI cable instead of pressing a button on a switch?

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

But wouldn't this make the switch redundant since you yourself would have to move the HDMI cable instead of pressing a button on a switch?

yes to a certain extent, (hence the reason i am trying to find a better solution) however some devises such as my xbox, switch, apple tv, and cable, are used more than others.  so if i put those into the 60 inch 5 splitter, i would have most content on that television.  when i would like to use one of the devices on another tv at the same time, i would have to move it. 

ultimately the end goal and if i could have it my way would be.... to have all my devices plugged into something, call it project x haha. and have project x be plugged into all three televisions. then be able to control by remote or by pressing a button on project x, that allows me to control which device will be playing on which tv. (EX: all my devices are plugged into project x. i am currently playing xbox on the 60 inch, have apple tv to the top right tv with a movie, and cable to the bottom right tv...I would like to be able to say this isnt what i want anymore, and put cable on the 60 inch, move my xbox to the top right and allow a friend to play the snes (throw in a 4th to complicate things more) on the bottom right tv.)

essentially i want a magical box that allows me to plug in all my devices and pick and chose what tv they are used on and when they are used and beable to use any of the devices on any of the tvs. 

again, i am not sure that any of this is possible, so that is why i am here trying to see if anyone has any insight or ideas!

thank you to everyone who has responded so far for your help and advice, and I only ask to keep it coming!

45 minutes ago, Jmangum said:

-snip-

So right now the best thing that I can find is this. It is on sale but it is still $900. Not sure what your budget is.

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

So right now the best thing that I can find is this. It is on sale but it is still $900. Not sure what your budget is.

wow that is exactly what I was looking for!!! I am going to do a bit more research and see if i can find one that is 3x5-8 and maybe it will be a bit cheaper? i was trying to stay around 300-600, but again, wasnt sure it really existed. I really appreciate your help on this.

if anyone else comes across one that has 3/4 outports that would be better and im sure cheaper. my guess is that this is something used in a bar or when people set up big led type pannels. 

3 hours ago, Jmangum said:

-snip-

Glad to help. That website has a lot cool stuff albeit like this one at $250. It might be something to consider but you would need a computer, and there will be some latency and quality loss over ethernet. There are 4x4 splitters that are less that $300 if you wouldn't mind taking out your least used device from the project x stack.

Another thing piece of information that might help is how many HDMI inputs that each TV have?

10 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Glad to help. That website has a lot cool stuff albeit like this one at $250. It might be something to consider but you would need a computer, and there will be some latency and quality loss over ethernet. There are 4x4 splitters that are less that $300 if you wouldn't mind taking out your least used device from the project x stack.

Another thing piece of information that might help is how many HDMI inputs that each TV have?

The 60 inch has 4 guaranteed it might actually have a fifth, however im not at home right now.  The other two; either have 2 or 3, need to double check again.

so you mentioned having a computer?

i think the easiest thing (mainly due ot the cost of some of these pieces, will be to set the 60inch up with my xbox, ps4, switch, and cable (run thru the xbox).  then buy a 2x4 splitter for the other tvs, that will connect the apple tv, snes, wii, and cable (by using another regular splitter plugged into the cable box, and then the two hdmi cords comming from the xbox and the 4x2 hdmi port for the smaller tvs. 

i feel like this is all so much easier to draw then type out hahah

the other issue i just ran into as well, was i was going to run my cable threw my Xbox, but the room i am setting this up in is where the wireless modem and everything is set up. for my direct tv cable box, i need to have that cable wired plugged (could be wrong) simplest answer i could come up with is plug a splitter directly into the walls cable output, one goes to the house wifi, the other goes to my cable box. not sure if that will slow down internet speeds or cause any other major propblems. 

8 minutes ago, Jmangum said:

so you mentioned having a computer?

One of the options that I linked above uses HDMI over Ethernet with a maximum of 8 out and 8 in and it starts at $250 for the main switch. You switch ins and outs using a PC or Mac via LAN port.

The other option that I linked is a 4 in, 4 out switch since I thought that you wanted to easily switch an input from the 60 inch TV to one of the 42 inch ones. This route does limit your inputs, but most likely you would not be playing the Switch and PS4 (for example) at the same time, you can get a 2 in, 1 out splitter and plug it into one of the inputs to the 4x4. I was a bit bored at work so I put this together for this set up.

59f2138b49fcd_ProjectX.png.22ec2d2439bfe6d83e94d1679708c72c.png

4 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

One of the options that I linked above uses HDMI over Ethernet with a maximum of 8 out and 8 in and it starts at $250 for the main switch. You switch ins and outs using a PC or Mac via LAN port.

The other option that I linked is a 4 in, 4 out switch since I thought that you wanted to easily switch an input from the 60 inch TV to one of the 42 inch ones. This route does limit your inputs, but most likely you would not be playing the Switch and PS4 (for example) at the same time, you can get a 2 in, 1 out splitter and plug it into one of the inputs to the 4x4. I was a bit bored at work so I put this together for this set up.

59f2138b49fcd_ProjectX.png.22ec2d2439bfe6d83e94d1679708c72c.png

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!. 

This is exactly what i want to do!!! So here is my final question,  with that 4x4 switch,  can you choose which input you want to go to each tv? i have never bought/used a switch until setting up this room which is why i ask.  (EX: xbox is on the 60 inch tv, and i want to play the apple tv on 42a and snes on 42b.) can you easily control on that 4x4 switch to do that? (additionally, in the same scenario, could i switch the xbox on the 60 inch to the 42a for apple tv and put that on the 60?

13 hours ago, Jmangum said:

can you choose which input you want to go to each tv?

From reading the products page linked above, if you get one that has a matrix, you can pick which input goes where at any time, even have all inputs display the same thing if you want. Non-matrix switches display the same output to all devices. Also, this website was just one of the first ones that I found online that have these switches, so feel free to browse other places move convenient to you.

14 hours ago, Jmangum said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!.

No problem, glad my ramblings helped xD Good luck and hopefully everything comes out the way you want it to.

So now onto the final planning of this.  i am going to be getting 3 Bluetooth transmitters for the back of each tv so the second guest can have a pair of headphones work perfectly while i game/watch. does anyone have any recommendations for this? i would prefer ones that run maybe on like a double a battery? so i only have to replace it occasionally, or that runs on the power of being plugged in.  but i would rather not have to charge it by USB, because they are in tough to reach places that requires me to take the tvs off the mounts each time. 

as for the 2 2x1 switches that i am going to be using, does anyone have any recommendations there as well?  they will be used only as 2 devices plugged into it and then plugged into the 4x4 switch.  i would like one that does not require an additional plug because i am already going to have about 30 in this room and i dont want it to burn down... would also be ideal to have a clicker to change or a button on it if not.   that also leads me to the 4x4 switch, dissitesuxba11s helped me find a great 4x4 switch, but if anyone else has any recommendations as well, i would love the advice!  

next is hdmi cords, this is obviously going to require a lot of hdmi cords, does anyone know if they actually make like wireless hdmi cords or anything along those lines? because that would be awesome for the systems i use less (im sure theres a lag). if not, does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy just a bunch of various length hdmi cords? haha i am thinking like a surprise box filled with all different lengths. (again, don't think that exists). Or just a brand that will work universally and not break the bank.

Finally, the wifi box is set up in this room on the left wall (if your facing the tv) in a nightstandish table.  i am thinking about moving that over into my center console that i will draw and add a picture of... for this i would need some sort of wireless Ethernet cable connector type thing/ as well as. and finally a coaxial one as well that might be able to be wireless. 

(or for all of these things i am mentioning i will just get long wires and tuck them into either the wall or under a soon to bought carpet)

(also when i am talking about ethernet/hdmi/coaxial being wireless, i am more talking about plugging something in that is a transmitter, and plug in the device that would be a receiver.)

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS REACHED OUT AND HELPED ME WITH THIS PROJECT YOU ALL ARE ABSOLUTEY AMAZING AND I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. NOT ONLY HAVE YOU SAVED ME PROBABLY 30 HOURS OF RESEARCH INTO THIS, BUT YOU HAVE ALSO SAVED ME A FORTUNE TO NOT HAVE SOMEONE COME OUT AND SET IT UP FOR ME(INCORRECTLY I MIGHT ADD) SO THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

i have included my terrible drawing on paint of how my center console looks and am looking for ideas of how to set this all up! worst artists ever so i apologize. 

My terrible paint skills.jpg

Edited by Jmangum

1 hour ago, Jmangum said:

require a lot of hdmi cords

Try Monoprice. They have bulk pricing on HDMI cords so they will be affordable. They also have different lengths and colors.

1 hour ago, Jmangum said:

2x1 switches

Again, Monoprice has some selection. Look at these two, neither needs power; power is delivered thru the HDMI cables. The latter has an option to be powered by DC 5V power supply, but only if signal strength is lacking.

Just to keep things a bit organized, try to post separate posts about the Bluetooth transmitter suggestion on "Audio" or "Peripheral" subforum (I'm not sure), and the wifi issue on "Networking." That way people with better knowledge that often browse said forum will see these.

I've never heard of wireless coaxial, but there might be one out there.