"The Heavy" gets a liquid cooling upgrade

DaftBehemoth

So I've had this in the works for a very long time now... I bought the Cosmos II about a month after it was released with the intention to liquid cool it. Unfortunately due to some financial constraints, my computer got thrown on the back-burner for quite a while. But now we're back to it! Thankfully I'm able to get rid of that silly looking H50. You will notice at least a little bit of messy tubing. I wish I had more money for a lot more fittings and some Crystal Link as well as a modular PSU, but I'm on a college student's budget :P

Original Spec List:

• Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
  • Motherboard: MSI Z68a-GD80
  • Processor: i7-2600k (4.5Ghz)
  • CPU Cooling: Corsair H50
  • Graphics: 2x 6970 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance (1600Mhz)
  • Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champion Edition (such an awesome name lol)
  • Boot Drive: 120GB Intel 520 SSD
  • Storage: 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
  • Power Supply: Corsair TX950
  • Fans: 8x BitFenix Spectre 120mm and 1x 200mm Spectre (as well as a couple stock CM fans)

New Parts:

• Graphics: 2x MSI GTX670 2GB
  • CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm
  • GPU Blocks: XSPC Razor with back-plates
  • Res: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250
  • Rads: Alphacool NexXxos 360mm and 240mm
  • Pump: Swiftech MCP-655 (with Bitspower pump top)
  • Tubing: PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8" ID 1/2" OD
  • Fittings: Various Bitspower compression fittings
  • Coolant: Mayhems Pastel Blue Berry Concentrate/ distilled water
  • Fans: 8x Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions, 1x Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition
  • Cables: Mod/ Smart Kobra SS Black/ Aqua Blue Extensions (24-pin, CPU 8-pin, and 4x 6-pin PCI-E

I'm still waiting on a few fitting extensions from FrozenCPU, so I'll just upload some pictures of my progress thus far. I apologize for the picture quality all I have is my phone (HTC Rezound).

Here's the starting point with the stock 670's installed

IMAG0189_zpsc7503760.jpg

After some parts showed up

IMAG0187_zps547249bf.jpg

XSPC block and back-plate installed on the first card

IMAG0194_zps6a80b62f.jpg

Mixed up the coolant concentrate to get a better idea of what it looks like. To my surprise, the blue berry mix comes out to be a MUCH deeper blue than expected (with 750ml of water)

IMAG0192_zps3f58ec93.jpg

GPUs installed and test fitting some cables. It's at this point I noticed that two of my PCI-E extensions were bad :(

IMAG0195_zps6f09116f.jpg

Installed CPU block and the top 360/30mm rad. There's not enough room for a much thicker top rad in a Cosmos II.

IMAG0196_zps5c1ca958.jpg

And that's all for now guys! I'll update this post once I get the last parts in :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

It's pretty much finished!

IMAG0199_zps1a78a193.jpg

All powered up in daylight

IMAG0203_zps298a6623.jpg

And this is the money shot :P

IMAG0204_zps0d2506ed.jpg

All in all, my GPU max temp while playing BF3 went from 84C to 42C... I couldn't be happier with it :)

There's still a few things to be done, like replace the top card's cables, but for now I'm glad I can use my desktop again.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Looks great, thats a nice drop in temps.

I think the daylight powered up shot looks just as impressive as the night time one, those light blues are just wicked.

Very nice, blue coolant, lights and cables look badass

I can no longer use my computer as a space heater lol

I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad I posted this :)

LoL ya no kidding.

NICE...! but you might want to braid the front IO etc wires?
Definitely. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but it's on the list. My main concern right now is my non-modular PSU... and getting those other two PCI-E cables replaced. I'm thinking a metal shield over the PSU area would be sweet as well, though I lack the tools and know-how to make one.

NICE...! but you might want to braid the front IO etc wires?
actually i think making a metal shield for PSU are is not a hard job, even with out much tools. I'm no case modder myself, but seems like a decently simple job.

• 1 month later...

So I realized that I still haven't followed up with the completely finished product (not that there really is such a thing :P). It has actually been long enough that there was a hardware change in the system. I decided to swap the Creative soundcard for an Asus Xonar Essence STX. 

These pictures are mostly to just show the replacement GPU cables, but I also managed to grab a black SLI bridge from a buddy (I built his new computer, so he payed me with the bridge :D)

So here's a shot of everything. 

Inside_zpsbdc4e292.jpg

And here's me pretending to be a half decent photographer with my phone. I actually like how it turned out. Probably my favorite picture of my PC.

Insideup_zps892b0016.jpg

And this is the whole setup.

Fullsetup_zps2b1b5905.jpg

And there we have it. Thanks for checking out my build guys!

Very nice!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

WOW! This is a Fantastic build. Well done! Love it

Sweet pretty awesome refresher for your system :D I was thinking of doing so with mine once I get my 780s.

Love the color scheme. Pretty decent cable management as well. An awesome build overall.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Love this build, the color scheme and lighting are so nice combined, the Cosmos 2 is not my favourite case but it works, nice job.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Nice build,really liking the blue black theme

i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

You many want to add some white accent lights. Great Build!

Quote me to get a reply!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for your comments!

You many want to add some white accent lights. Great Build!

I'll definitely be looking into either white or blue led strips, but not until I put a window in my side panel. I contacted Cooler Master and apparently they still plan on releasing a windowed side panel at some point... I'm trying to be patient with them about this, but I may still just send my panel to Mountain Mods and have them take care of it :P