New to the forum, first new build in a few years, stoked!

minorthreat55

Hey guys,

Just got done with my first new build in the past few years. Pretty stoked. For starters, I was going for about $1,000 or so. Upper-middle class maybe, nothing super top end. It's for gaming and for general use, no video editing or streaming or anything really. I'm pretty pleased with the results. Not really looking for "you should have bought this instead of that" type of deal. I kinda pieced it all together a few steps at a time every time I saw a good deal on Newegg or whatever (which happened to be the weeks leading up to BF and not really BF itself). I AM looking for critiques on how I can better manage these wires, or any other modifications you guys may recommend. The molex connectors that come with the fans are the biggest pain in the ass for me. I used zip ties and tried to tuck as much as I could behind the back case, but any suggestions are welcome! Anyways, here are the specs and pics. Hope you guys enjoy. Sorry for the crappy pictures as well...didn't realize I had dust all over the lense on my S4.

Cooler Master HAF 922 case

Intel Core i5 4670K, using the stock cooler/fan (don't plan to overclock any time soon)

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard

GIgabyte Geforce GTX660 OC

8GB G.SKILL RAM

Seasonic 660W fully modular PSU

Seagate 600 240GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Win 8.1 Home

post-48443-0-08906500-1386346772_thumb.j

post-48443-0-63729000-1386346782_thumb.j

The cheap mic my gods... Lol jk

Hahaha yeah went for that cheap GENIUS mic, yo! Eh, it does the job for what I need. I prefer a quality set of headphones and a cheap mic vs. the "gaming headsets" or whatever. Just my preference.

Cable routing is a pain.  Minimize the cables you need, try to line them up and tie them together.

True. I see so many CLEAN systems here though. Surely I can do better! Thanks for your input.

I am constantly in my case tinkering. I've redone my cabling and fans at least once a month for 10 months. If you see it more as a hobby than a "consumer electronics device", you'll have everything looking great soon. I have one friend who took one month before re-attempting the wiring and another friend who still hasn't touched a thing in 10 months.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Ha..sounds reassuring. Yeah, I was ready to power the damn thing on and play some games. Will definitely take another stab at it in the near future.

A nice build. Good job, sir.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

Gratz on the build!!! I would comment on tidying up the cables though. You should have some space behind the motherboard tray to hide them and hold them in place with cable ties

Good Stuff! In a case like that, your best friend is the hard drive cages, hide things behind there. It's what I had to do in my current build (in my sig) if you want some ideas, though I won't say I did the best job. I used this video as a guide, this guy did a really good job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjeTO5TBWy8. Ultimately it's why I have a Fractal Design R4 sitting behind me waiting to be filled up, I couldn't stand the limited management in my case.

You can try stuffing the wires into the 5.25" bays.  That worked VERY well for me, especially since i have a non-modular psu.  You can also try just getting all of the wires bundled together with zip-ties and do a conduit style route up the rear next to the edge of the hdd/odd bays.

Lol those parts look like all the parts were on sale for black friday, awesome :D. But really that cable management!!!!

Do I really see FIVE 5.25" bays over there? :D Anyways well done and really computer is a fun hobby atleast in winter like now :)

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

Do I really see FIVE 5.25" bays over there? :D Anyways well done and really computer is a fun hobby atleast in winter like now :)

Yeah man the Cooler Master HAF 922 is a beast. I'm never going to use those damn things! Thanks for the positive comments.

I have the same case and I found that I could hide my wires in the bulge on the right side panel. I don't have a modular psu and got all the unused connectors back there and there is still a lot more room to route stuff back there

Rig: AMD FX 8350, Asus Sabertooth 990fx, 16gb Corsair Vengence, Gigabyte R9 290 4GB, Noctua NH-12S, Samsung 840 Evo, WD 1TB Black, Corsair C70, Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster SA350, Acer 193w, Mouse: Cyborg RAT 5. Window 7 Pro

Laptop: Asus x75vd, Intel i5 3210M, 8gb RAM, Nvidia 610m 1gb, 750gb hdd

PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox360