New PC Build Has "Slow" Download Speed

Go to solution Solved by Calico Morgan,
53 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Hmmm, Windows 10 fully updated and nothing running in the background I assume?

Have you tried the Windows troubleshooter just to see if anything pops up?

Try right clicking on the network adapter in the bottom right tray, open network & connection settings, then find Network Reset and follow the steps.

First thing I did in all of this was check for Windows update. It said Windows is up to date. I checked again just in case and it said the same thing. I left it open while I did a couple other things on my second screen. Out of nowhere I see it's downloading updates lol! ugh..anyway, after a while I got back on and tested all my speeds and ping back to what I'm paying for. Thank you and the others for your help. Sorry it turned out to be me being a moron pretty much lol

First off, thank you for checking out this post. I appreciate it.

More to the point, my ballin new system I built (my first) seems to have a lower than normal download speed when I test my internet ups and downs. I pay for 200Mbps and I'm testing between 150-200 on all of my devices except my new pc. It's getting anywhere from 25-75Mbps down. I took the same cable to my new pc and put it on my laptop and got 210Mbps down on that, so I know it isn't the cable. I believe I updated my drivers properly, so I'm pretty stumped. Upload speeds are consistently correct at around 35Mbps on all devices, including my new pc. 
I'm SUPER terrible at networking and I know basically nothing about it. I'll include all the parts in my computer because I don't really know what you'll need to get a picture of my situation. It's not a dire  issue, because 35Mbps is absolutely functional, but I'd like to use what I pay for, and I miss downloading games, programs, etc at super quick speeds.

Knowing me, I just overlooked a step in the new pc build process. Any advice is super appreciated. 
Thank you!

My PCPP build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/MM3bt6

reinstall lan drivers

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

As DeezNoNos said reinstalling your LAN Drivers should be your first step. I would make sure to go directly to the manufacturers website search for your motherboard and download the latest driver from there.  

37 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

reinstall lan drivers

34 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

As DeezNoNos said reinstalling your LAN Drivers should be your first step. I would make sure to go directly to the manufacturers website search for your motherboard and download the latest driver from there.  

I reinstalled the latest LAN drivers from ASUS and restarted my computer just now. Still 20-50Mbps.

Go to your Local Area Connections Properties and disable (uncheck) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then test your speeds again and let me know if you notice any change.

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Go to your Local Area Connections Properties and disable (uncheck) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then test your speeds again and let me know if you notice any change.

Okay I unchecked Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and tested my speeds at 46Mbps.

Do you have a separate modem and router. If so I would try connecting directly to the modem and see if there's a difference. 

4 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Do you have a separate modem and router. If so I would try connecting directly to the modem and see if there's a difference. 

Unfortunately there was no change after hooking up directly to the modem.

The only thing I could think to do at this point would be to uninstall the driver you just downloaded and then install an older driver maybe even the one on the driver disc that came with the MOBO. If that doesn't work hopefully someone else here has some ideas. 

Still no change. Do I need to buy a network card for my computer? my only problem with that is it might not even work. The slower speeds explain why I'm not able to get my Twitch streams going at a higher bitrate so I'd really like to resolve this :(

Just out of curiosity, what are you testing the speeds with?

I assume speedtest.net but just want to make sure :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Just out of curiosity, what are you testing the speeds with?

I assume speedtest.net but just want to make sure :) 

Yep, speedtest.net

Just now, Calico Morgan said:

Yep, speedtest.net

Try right clicking on the network adapter in the bottom right tray, open network & connection settings, then find Network Reset and follow the steps.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

53 minutes ago, Lurick said:

First thing I did in all of this was check for Windows update. It said Windows is up to date. I checked again just in case and it said the same thing. I left it open while I did a couple other things on my second screen. Out of nowhere I see it's downloading updates lol! ugh..anyway, after a while I got back on and tested all my speeds and ping back to what I'm paying for. Thank you and the others for your help. Sorry it turned out to be me being a moron pretty much lol

11 hours ago, Calico Morgan said:

Glad things are back to normal :D 

Those sneaky updates can really get you.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: