S8+ making strange sounds when buffering videos

Whimsker

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread, first time being here on the forums. My S8+ arrived yesterday and has been flawless up until I realised that it was making a sort of hissing sound, akin to breathing out very quickly, when watching videos. I'm not 100% sure if it does it when it loads all types of content, since most are almost instant, but it's very noticeable on Youtube since it buffers in chunks at the start and whilst watching. It seems to happen only as the buffer bar increases, so I'm not sure what to make of it, software issue or hardware fault? I tried googling around but I really didn't find much, outside of the fact that the S8 did have audio issues at one point, though I'm not sure if those had been resolved before I got my own. I did download a pending software update when it arrived, not sure what exactly it updated, just thought it was a regular out of the box thing. Anyone got any ideas?

6 minutes ago, Whimsker said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread, first time being here on the forums. My S8+ arrived yesterday and has been flawless up until I realised that it was making a sort of hissing sound, akin to breathing out very quickly, when watching videos. I'm not 100% sure if it does it when it loads all types of content, since most are almost instant, but it's very noticeable on Youtube since it buffers in chunks at the start and whilst watching. It seems to happen only as the buffer bar increases, so I'm not sure what to make of it, software issue or hardware fault? I tried googling around but I really didn't find much, outside of the fact that the S8 did have audio issues at one point, though I'm not sure if those had been resolved before I got my own. I did download a pending software update when it arrived, not sure what exactly it updated, just thought it was a regular out of the box thing. Anyone got any ideas?

Kinda like 'white-noise'?

Just now, Pythons said:

Kinda like 'white-noise'?

Sounds a bit like white noise, it's hard to describe since its only noticeable in a very quiet room.

4 minutes ago, Whimsker said:

Sounds a bit like white noise, it's hard to describe since its only noticeable in a very quiet room.

Weird. Try restarting your phone. Is it only YouTube, or does it do the same for other applications?

Just now, Pythons said:

Weird. Try restarting your phone. Is it only YouTube, or does it do the same for other applications?

Yeah it's definitely white noise now that I listen again, and it's doing it for Twitch as well. Still doing it after restarting also.

24 minutes ago, Whimsker said:

Yeah it's definitely white noise now that I listen again, and it's doing it for Twitch as well. Still doing it after restarting also.

Try playing around with the sound settings. It might be that your volume is up to high, and the speakers get a constant current - leading to the static noise. Or it might be a unique case where your phone is experiencing a hardware issue... Other than that, I'm not too sure if I can help! Best of luck! :D

It's weird, I plugged earpods in and the static then plays through the earpods, which I don't really understand. I know I saw people saying using the optional settings helped when they were using headphones but I'd rather fix it for when I just want to watch something in bed without needing earpods for it. I'll play around with some settings and see if that changes anything