windows controlled folder access is being too aggressive

Yongtjunkit

I've been noticing that the new feature in windows 10 fall creators update(security feature) is being too aggressive. the windows controlled folder blocked some feature of x split and not only that it blocks me from copying my files back to the computer after clean install.

59e6c25562a76_Screenshot(1).png.cc208996822e79e504998422ca6da60e.png

The whole point of the feature is to block applications from modifying your files, so it's working as intended.

It's actually a pretty cool security feature. Looks like you can configure a lot with it, if you want to make sure apps can't touch certain folders or only allow specific apps to modify files (like a server where it's unmonitored and only runs certain apps).

Pretty well hidden though. I hate the new Defender UI, all of this stuff should have just been in the normal Settings app (where it was before Creators Update). They put so much into consolidating settings, just to move these ones out.

4 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

The whole point of the feature is to block applications from modifying your files, so it's working as intended.

It's actually a pretty cool security feature. Looks like you can configure a lot with it, if you want to make sure apps can't touch certain folders or only allow specific apps to modify files (like a server where it's unmonitored and only runs certain apps).

Pretty well hidden though. I hate the new Defender UI, all of this stuff should have just been in the normal Settings app (where it was before Creators Update). They put so much into consolidating settings, just to move these ones out.

But it blocks you from copying your files..., as I did a clean install, I need to copy back my file's 

Also I've enabled that function before installing back all my software and it only blocks xsplit from creating a desktop shortcut 

-update- 

it also doesn't allow me to take a screnshot

That is the whole point of it. That is why is is disabled by default.

You need add program to the exception list to allow access to these folders, else it can be exploited, and the whole features would be useless.

47 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That is the whole point of it. That is why is is disabled by default.

You need add program to the exception list to allow access to these folders, else it can be exploited, and the whole features would be useless.

Including windows explorer?

32 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Including windows explorer?

Sure. As file explorer can be augmented (kinda like add-ons), and a malware/ransomware can install one and use that to encrypt your data.