Failed external drive

Hi,

I have a Seagate Backup Plus Desk Hub 8TB that seems to have failed.

Windows is not recognising the device and in the Device Manager it's showing up in there saying Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed).

Seagate have advised that they will need to replace under warranty (it's only 7mths old) but I need to get the data recovered from it 1st and provide a record that this has been done. 

Now obviously there's a charge top this which I am finding to be a very disgusting customer service experience when it's not even my fault that the drive has failed but as the charge is there looks like I need to pay it. There's photo's on there from 2006 for which there is no back up since 2010. Ironically, this weekend I was going to be building a dedicated storage server and moving all the info from this drive to that server. If only it could've lasted another week.

My question is though, with Windows not recognising the drive, is there any software/hardware out there that will recover this for me for a fraction of the cost Seagate or 3rd party companies will charge?

It seems like the USB/SATA-Controller died, not the drive itself. So, you can take it apart and plug the internal 3.5" drive into another USB-Adapter or directly into your mainboard.

While you might void your warranty, it might let you recover all of your data and repair the drive. If it still works, just buy a cheap external HDD case on amazon for around 10-20 bucks.

Based on your description, I would say there's a 75% chance, the drive still works.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

The first troubleshooting steps here would be to try the drive with a different USB cable, try the drive in a different port, and try the drive in a different computer and see if the issue persists. After that, there are DIY recovery softwares out there, Seagate Recovery Software for one. There are many 3rd party apps out there as well, you'd just have to research online and see what others recommend. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Have done all of that and nothings working.

Not going to take it apart as I've seen a teardown video on YT and he broke the drive due to how it's designed.

Doubt the recovery software will work due to Windows not even seeing the drive but will give it a shot.